Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen limitation in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, when you say range mode, what do you refer to exactly? Charging 100% of the battery? My commute is 60 miles each way (100km really, where I live we have the metric system), and charge to 80%, which covers my needs without a problem.

By Range Mode I mean the setting you can control from the 17" screen that puts the HVAC system into a lower power mode. The term is confusing because it says Range Mode on the Controls screen, but says Eco on the actual HVAC controls when it's on. In addition to lowering the output of the HVAC system it also lowers the temperature threshold where battery pack heating comes on.

The level to which you charge your battery is a different conversation. You may want to time it so that it completes its charge cycle right about when you plan to depart. The pack will be warm from charging and save a bit of energy heating it back up and also allow more initial re-gen to occur.

I was just watching an episode of This Old House on PBS. They were working in an all season porch and came up with an idea to heat it in the cold weather. An electric heat mat that was made by a company called Nuheat. This membrane went under tiles to supply the porch with warm radiant heat with a programmable wall thermostat to control it. They mentioned the running cost in Mass to be about 15 cents per hour.

So a bulb goes off.... ahh a way to preheat the Tesla. I go to their website.... Electric Radiant Floor Heating: SunTouch, Nuheat, WarmWire

Poking around I see that they also sell all sorts of radiant heat products. One of which is an industrial matt designed for harsh environments, and it can melt ice and keep doorways clear. Sounded hefty and robust to me... like it could live under a TESLA on the garage floor.....

I will give them a call and discuss this....

Many of you say you start to feel some region limiting at about 44 F of soak, so if a floor mat, under the Tesla, in a dimension of 4' by 6' could keep the floor and the battery at 45 degrees would you think that perhaps regeneration limits could be avoided?

the Website I saw was Electric Radiant Floor Heating: SunTouch, Nuheat, WarmWire and take a look at their Industrial HeatTrak Matts....