Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Battery Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everbody knows this because not everybody reads a manual or are on this forum so my guess is they made it saver than we think.
Sigh. No one has to read the manual or the forum. If you charge in the "Trips" section of the charging range, from 90 to 100% a few times, the car itself will warn you with a message on the screen that it's not a good idea to do that. With the way the charging slows down to a pathetic crawl at the end, putting in 2 amps, and then flickering between 1 amp and 0 amps, it is abundantly clear that yes, it is going all the way to full, and there is no protective buffer at the top end.

Reactions: gavine
Sigh. No one has to read the manual or the forum. If you charge in the "Trips" section of the charging range, from 90 to 100% a few times, the car itself will warn you with a message on the screen that it's not a good idea to do that. With the way the charging slows down to a pathetic crawl at the end, putting in 2 amps, and then flickering between 1 amp and 0 amps, it is abundantly clear that yes, it is going all the way to full, and there is no protective buffer at the top end.
Sigh? There is a thread here with this question: Big Eye Bolt Thing

You are seeing this from your knowledge and experience, there are people totally new and maybe of age and they don't see the car as you do.

Sigh? There is a thread here with this question: Big Eye Bolt Thing

You are seeing this from your knowledge and experience, there are people totally new and maybe of age and they don't see the car as you do.
Huh? What does that have to do with anything? That is an example of where you would need to read the manual or ask to find out what that is. I just explained how on the charge warning, you don't need to read the manual or use the forum. The car itself will directly tell you with a message on the screen not to repeatedly do that. That is hand-holding and not relying on anyone to do any research. They are opposite situations.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? That is an example of where you would need to read the manual or ask to find out what that is. I just explained how on the charge warning, you don't need to read the manual or use the forum. The car itself will directly tell you with a message on the screen not to repeatedly do that. That is hand-holding and not relying on anyone to do any research. They are opposite situations.

Yeah for you it's logics and you know what it means, for example my sister is 40 and i need to help her with her computer when something happens, it's not het interest so she knows less than i do, so other people don't understand the message with the amps going down and stuff, just keep charging the car like a phone because 100% is good right, always better than 90%, do you know what i mean now?

They look at it "normal" not knowing they will damage the car with how they treat them if noone warns them, so from my view the programmers took that in account and made a failsafe for the other customers.

You come over as hostile but my messages are pure neutral (english is not my native language so please excuse me).

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum but have had my Model S since September.

I am noticing, however, reduced battery range from actual kilometres driven to what the Tesla predicts I should have left.

Yesterday I began my trip with 314 km from the Supercharger and drove 98 km to my destination. On my arrival, my remaining kilometres was 168. This works out to be 48 km of less range than Tesla predicted I would have.

I am in Toronto and it is winter time, so for most of my trip I had heat on. That said, a 48 km discrepancy is not insignificant.

I have noticed reduced kilometres remaining than I should have on quite a few previous trips, but have not been formally tracking... which I will now begin to do.

I am wondering if this is par for the course? If so, it makes me a bit nervous as I would like to have confidence I will not run out of power on longer trips (or shorter round trips).

Would love to hear people's experiences if possible.

Thanks,

Kevin
I experienced a similar loss of range today. Drove 135 km but lost 210 km of range - that's more than a 50% premium. The outside temp was -20 C; I started out immediately after charging the car, preheating the battery and preheating the cabin in my garage; cabin heater was set to 17.5 C and used seat heaters. I did not use range mode, believing that it was be more efficient to keep the battery heated -- that may not be a good assumption.

I used the Nav and had to keep my speed below 105 kph in order to hold the battery percentage estimate constant. When driving at 110-120, the end of trip battery estimate dropped by 1 % every few minutes.

I will have to revise my plans for cold winter trips - did not expect this much loss. Hope this helps and welcome any suggestions to improve the range. my next step will be to see if the EVplanner tool yields the same results.

I experienced a similar loss of range today. Drove 135 km but lost 210 km of range - that's more than a 50% premium. The outside temp was -20 C; I started out immediately after charging the car, preheating the battery and preheating the cabin in my garage; cabin heater was set to 17.5 C and used seat heaters. I did not use range mode, believing that it was be more efficient to keep the battery heated -- that may not be a good assumption.

I used the Nav and had to keep my speed below 105 kph in order to hold the battery percentage estimate constant. When driving at 110-120, the end of trip battery estimate dropped by 1 % every few minutes.

I will have to revise my plans for cold winter trips - did not expect this much loss. Hope this helps and welcome any suggestions to improve the range. my next step will be to see if the EVplanner tool yields the same results.

Nice to see we are not the only ones with the cold temps

This is the 6th winter since the Model S came out and people are still surprised at the range loss in the cold. It’s not like we’ve been keeping it a secret.
Perhaps you weren't keeping it a secret but Tesla sales team certainly was! When i asked about cold weather performance, I was told it was not significant -- due to battery heating. It would have been nice to know to expect a 50% range penalty in cold temperatures, or to have been given a graph of range loss/outside temp. (I will now create my own using EVtripplanner.)

Perhaps you weren't keeping it a secret but Tesla sales team certainly was! When i asked about cold weather performance, I was told it was not significant -- due to battery heating. It would have been nice to know to expect a 50% range penalty in cold temperatures, or to have been given a graph of range loss/outside temp. (I will now create my own using EVtripplanner.)
That's a different question. Cold doesn't affect performance much (acceleration, top speed), but it does affect range. Any energy used to heat the battery is energy that isn't available for range!

Actually the Tesla web site used to have an interactive thing which showed range for each battery size where you could adjust for temperature. I haven't looked recently to see if it's still there.

Yeah for you it's logics and you know what it means, for example my sister is 40 and i need to help her with her computer when something happens, it's not het interest so she knows less than i do, so other people don't understand the message with the amps going down and stuff, just keep charging the car like a phone because 100% is good right, always better than 90%, do you know what i mean now?
I still think you are just not understanding this, and I'm not sure why. It's not "logistics", and there is nothing to do with "amps" or anything technical like that. There is a message that appears on the screen stating in simple wording a warning not to charge so high all the time.

They look at it "normal" not knowing they will damage the car with how they treat them if noone warns them, so from my view the programmers took that in account and made a failsafe for the other customers.
Why are you still questioning this "if no one warns them"? o_O The car will warn them. It is what I have been saying, that if they are charging too high, the car will just tell them not to. The car itself will simply display a message saying that it's not a good idea. That's it. Anyone who is capable of reading will be able to understand it.

You come over as hostile but my messages are pure neutral (english is not my native language so please excuse me).
There's nothing hostile about this. It's just confusing why you keep repeating this same unfounded concern, where you think people need to understand technical engineering or electrical details or do a lot of research to find out not to charge so high. And I have repeatedly addressed this (which you keep ignoring), that the car will simply tell them if they are overcharging, and they don't need to know anything more about it, so it's not unknown or scary. Really, this is not a worry.

I still think you are just not understanding this, and I'm not sure why. It's not "logistics", and there is nothing to do with "amps" or anything technical like that. There is a message that appears on the screen stating in simple wording a warning not to charge so high all the time.

Why are you still questioning this "if no one warns them"? o_O The car will warn them. It is what I have been saying, that if they are charging too high, the car will just tell them not to. The car itself will simply display a message saying that it's not a good idea. That's it. Anyone who is capable of reading will be able to understand it.

There's nothing hostile about this. It's just confusing why you keep repeating this same unfounded concern, where you think people need to understand technical engineering or electrical details or do a lot of research to find out not to charge so high. And I have repeatedly addressed this (which you keep ignoring), that the car will simply tell them if they are overcharging, and they don't need to know anything more about it, so it's not unknown or scary. Really, this is not a worry.
Don't search too far, i know people that have skills but in different areas, they can built houses, fix "normal" cars but they don't understand the lowering of amps or something else. I didn't say people have to have knowledge to understand an electric car but what i did say is that next to us there are people that can't recognise the signs you were talking about.

Never mind now, now i understand my english ain't good enough to explain what i want to tell, no bad things towards you but my explanation ain't clear enough.

Last attempt, my mother knows alot about *sugar* but not about something so simple as a smartphone (simple for us), she asks me the most trivial or most simple stuff because her knowladge/ interest is somewhere else.

But i let it rest now and proceed my quest for ultra light rims because i have nothing better to do ;)

That's a different question. Cold doesn't affect performance much (acceleration, top speed), but it does affect range. Any energy used to heat the battery is energy that isn't available for range!

Actually the Tesla web site used to have an interactive thing which showed range for each battery size where you could adjust for temperature. I haven't looked recently to see if it's still there.

I think the interactive calculations on the site only went down to minus 5 or minus 10. Not sure if it is still there either.

Oh now i saw this reply, i used this to show you that there are people that don't even know what a simple metal thing is with a hook and looks for us like a towing hook, so how can we expect that people know how to treat their battery.

what i did say is that next to us there are people that can't recognise the signs you were talking about.
Well, all right. I can still tell you aren't getting it, because you're phrasing it as "recognize the signs", as if it is some mystical complicated set of foreign symbols or data that needs to be interpreted. And then your other comment was about "recognizing" an object. This isn't about people having to understand or recognize something unfamiliar. The car displays very plain wording that tells the person what to do. I've searched a little, but I can't find the exact wording of what that message is right now, but it is something approximately like: "Charging to the maximum level every day can be harmful to the battery. It is recommended to set the charging limit in the "Daily" range for everyday use." There is no need to recognize some vague signs; it's just reading what the car says to do and doing it.

Well, all right. I can still tell you aren't getting it, because you're phrasing it as "recognize the signs", as if it is some mystical complicated set of foreign symbols or data that needs to be interpreted. And then your other comment was about "recognizing" an object. This isn't about people having to understand or recognize something unfamiliar. The car displays very plain wording that tells the person what to do. I've searched a little, but I can't find the exact wording of what that message is right now, but it is something approximately like: "Charging to the maximum level every day can be harmful to the battery. It is recommended to set the charging limit in the "Daily" range for everyday use." There is no need to recognize some vague signs; it's just reading what the car says to do and doing it.
Ok you know what, you are right, now i can see your arguments clearly. It's the lenguege barrier, must be.

Last edited:

I was concerned about range in winter too -- but I searched here and asked because I like an unbiased opinion and you won't get that asking someone you're buying a product from. Plus, a lot of Tesla sale's rep don't drive Tesla's themselves unlike people posting here. So the lesson to be learned, if you ask me, is to do your own research before you buy.

In cold weather the gas mileage on an ICE is a lot worse too: Fuel Economy in Cold Weather

The air is heavier so it takes more energy to drive through. But you get heat from the engine which you don't get with an EV -- so it's even worse in an EV once we add to that battery capacity. It makes a Leaf really limited in cold weather and a lot people complain about that too because Nissan doesn't tell you that. That just makes me laugh because it seems so obvious. So many people say to me: Doesn't using the heat really reduce your range? I actually expected it to be reduced even more than it is when we think about what it takes to create heat from a portable form of electricity. There's threads over at the Leaf forum of people using portable propane heaters in their Leaf to make their daily commute, and others about bundling up and just using the seat heaters.

If any Mod reads this, the title of this thread should be changed to "Reduced Battery Range". I thought this thread was about battery degradation by the title.

Reactions: mrElbe