Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recovering 'Fully'Discharged 100kWh Packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have purchased two flood-damaged SP100D cars. Their history is as follows:

They belonged to Tesla's Sydney store and were parked in the basement carpark. There was a burst watermain and the cars got flooded with clean (potable) water. They were drained and dried but comuncation with the battery could not be achieved. So the technicians did a discharge on them before sending them out to auction as flood-damage salvage cars.

I got this one step removed from someone who worked on them so I think its pretty accurate. I believe:
  • They were only flooded overnight (I do not know to what depth).
  • The discharge was a discharge to 0V. I hope not but this is my fear.
  • They were discharged around December/January and so have been flat for a while.
Two main questions:
  1. Does anyone know anything about the procedure for discharging a pack in this situation? Does it absolutely flatten it?
  2. Has anyone encountered this before and made attempts to recover the pack/modules/cells? If so, how did it go?

I'm not banking at all on being able to use them but if there's anything useful I'm all about reuse before recycle :)

Hi Brando,
I've looked at lots online but don't think I've found people in my particular case. My cars went through Tesla and got their batteries absolutely flattened by some process they use. Its their process and if its possible/likely to recover from it that I'm asking about.

I figure there may be a couple of Tesla techs on here who will know the discharge process. I also figure there me be some people on here who know how likely it is that NCA cells are able to be revived from flat.

I know the procedure for connecting to and communicating with the battery, that's no worries.