Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for a USB hub?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VQTRVA

Mar 13, 2019
CVA
My Anker USB Hub doesn't work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Dashcam icon disappears a few minutes after I put the flash drive in.
This flashdrive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7P4SY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When i remove the hub & stick it in the M.3's USB port - Dashcam icon reappears & things are back operationally.

Anyone have a good USB hub to recommend or did I just get a dud?

I'm using DTECH 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub. It has an auxiliary micro USB power input which I connect with a 1 ft cable to the car as well, and I connect both phone charging cables to the hub. Using this setup both phones charge quickly while TeslaCam is recording.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
My Anker USB Hub doesn't work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Dashcam icon disappears a few minutes after I put the flash drive in.
This flashdrive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7P4SY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When i remove the hub & stick it in the M.3's USB port - Dashcam icon reappears & things are back operationally.

Anyone have a good USB hub to recommend or did I just get a dud?

Interesting. I have the exact same USB hub that I just installed. I’m using the Samsung Pro Endurance SDXC 128GB storage with it. I’ve only checked it once so far but it worked flawlessly for me.

@VQTRVA I have the same USB hub and no issues here. I’ve been using Anker products for many years and never had any issues with their products. They stand behind their product, contact them and I’m sure they’ll send you a replacement.

True dat. I have a bunch of Anker products & they work great.
So am trying to isolate the disappearing dash cam icon issue down to either the hub or the flash drive.

Reactions: C141medic
So you're NOT using a flash drive but a card reader with the hub - true?

Well, just as soon as I said it was working great it stopped working. Now when I plug the card reader into the hub the Dashcam icon doesn’t show up but when I plug the card reader directly in to the car’s USB port it works fine. I have an email in to Anker for help. Is it possible these hubs are going bad that quickly? I saw multiple reviews on the product from Model 3 owners saying it works great with Dashcam, which is the reason I chose this one in the first place.

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA
Well, just as soon as I said it was working great it stopped working. Now when I plug the card reader into the hub the Dashcam icon doesn’t show up but when I plug the card reader directly in to the car’s USB port it works fine. I have an email in to Anker for help. Is it possible these hubs are going bad that quickly? I saw multiple reviews on the product from Model 3 owners saying it works great with Dashcam, which is the reason I chose this one in the first place.
Yep! the 3 reviews that showed up were glowing.
I forgot where I saw on here or the other Tesla forums but some1 else also made a recommendation for the Anker - so I went with it based on those 4 recs.

Here is the response I received from Anker:

“Thank you for reaching out to Anker customer support. So sorry to hear the issue with this hub.

Please note this hub was designed to turn one of your computer's USB ports into four. And the primary purpose of this hub is to transfer data between devices and not to charge them. I am afraid this hub is not compatible with your Tesla Model 3.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day!

Best regards,”

So this answer makes no sense to me. I’m not trying to charge my SD card. I’m guessing that I just have a bad hub. I’m going to look around and see if I can find another solution.

“Thank you for reaching out to Anker customer support. So sorry to hear the issue with this hub.

Please note this hub was designed to turn one of your computer's USB ports into four. And the primary purpose of this hub is to transfer data between devices and not to charge them. I am afraid this hub is not compatible with your Tesla Model 3.

Best regards,”

So this answer makes no sense to me. I’m not trying to charge my SD card. I’m guessing that I just have a bad hub. I’m going to look around and see if I can find another solution.
Makes no sense. I have one of the usb cables from my Nomad plugged in to the Anker hub and my Verbatim mediashare wireless for the dashcam plugged in as well and they all charge.

Best regards,”

Did you try testing the hub with a computer? If it fails there, they can't make the excuse it's incompatible.