Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent class action lawsuit related to BMS_u029 alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lawsuit that @EricHarrison has been preparing on this BMS_u029 alert issue has moved to the step of a formal complaint filed today in the US District Court Northern District of California.

In part, 35 page complaint states "Vehicle owners also receive an error message, “BMS_u029,” which indicates that their battery is depleted or inoperable."

If you are interested in more details connect to this link, review everything in detail, and contact via the link if you have any further questions.

Although I am affected, I am not a plaintiff.

And for those that still think Tesla is just reporting these errors to make you replace a perfectly good pack, and that you can just reset the BMS, like the lawsuit claims, and go merrily on your way:

These errors are real failures, that need to be dealt with. In this case it appears that the BMS was just starting to recover it senses, from being knocked out and having its memory wiped, when the car burned up. So you can't count on the BMS re-figuring out that something is wrong than bad things can happen.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
And of course, you the customer have the CHOICE to connect the vehicle to WiFi, the CHOICE to install software updates, and the CHOICE to read what’s included before installing the software. Provided that Tesla has disclosed the contents of the software update in full I see zero issue with the process Tesla is using.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So is your lawsuit related to failing batteries, or what you consider an "erroneous" error message?

I'd argue you'd have a much better time arguing the first. The second , I'd argue, is going to get bounced right out. It'd be very easy for Tesla to show that the BMS_u029 error message is legitimate and indicative of a pending failure scenario. The car that burned itself up because the BMS was bypassed is a pretty dang clear indicative that it's a real error, and not some underhanded scheme.

The BMS is a safety device. Bypassing it - as @wk057 put it, is like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm. Just because you silence the alarm doesn't make the condition go away.