Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk height override?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Model X manual the rear trunk's opening height can be set. Does the car allow you to override this?

For example, the way Mercedes handle this is that you hit a button (remote or on the car). The trunk opens to the preset height. If you then press the button again it'll open to the full height. This is handy if you regularly park in a low area, but on occasion want to open it to the full height.

Does the Model X behave in a similar way?

Here is how it works:
Standing behind the car open the rear hatch.
When the rear hatch is in the process of opening and reaches the desired height, press and hold the hatch open/close button (the one on the hatch) until you hear a beep
This position will now be saved as the default open height position. If you need to set it to a higher position just manually push up the hatch beyond the set position and reset the height as above.

Last edited:
There's your answer. Use your hand and push it up - not the absolute ideal, but not a problem at all.
Not ideal at all as I am afraid of pushing against the motorized panels but unfortunately I could not find a better way. I think it would be better if Tesla provided a software interface to set the height and made it a driver specific setting.

Not ideal at all as I am afraid of pushing against the motorized panels but unfortunately I could not find a better way. I think it would be better if Tesla provided a software interface to set the height and made it a driver specific setting.
FWIW, I've been doing it on my Model S for 2 years and have had no issues. But my anecdote is merely that.

Good to know.
By the way did you notice that it is NOT possible to stop the hatch manually when it is moving up? it has to be done using the button on the hatch.
Maybe something to add to your next SC visit punch list. I just went out to the garage and tested. Mine stops if I hold it. It takes a bit more resistance than I'd like, though, so I'm adding it to my list too. It should be pretty sensitive, considering you don't want it to smash the spoiler on the way up if an obstruction is hit.

Huh? You can do that each time. Or just do what Sukhi said the 3rd post. At least that's how it is with the S. I will test it on my X when I get it tomorrow.
@jomo25
You are right. Pressing and holding the button on the hatch at the desired height sets the height. Unfortunately once you set it, there is no way to move the hatch beyond that height except manually pushing the hatch up to new desired height.

@ohmman
Thanks. I was a bit scared to apply too much resistance but it definitely needs fixing as that's the only quick way to stop it from smashing into any low obstructions.

Thanks everyone. It's a shame they didn't go the way of Mercedes which doesn't involve pushing against the motor system. One button to close, and tapping the 'open' button a second time opens to full height.

This means I can have a small opening by default (safe for inside/tight spaces), but when outside tap it a second time for a full opening for larger items.

Reactions: ohmman
Thanks everyone. It's a shame they didn't go the way of Mercedes which doesn't involve pushing against the motor system. One button to close, and tapping the 'open' button a second time opens to full height.

This means I can have a small opening by default (safe for inside/tight spaces), but when outside tap it a second time for a full opening for larger items.
How do you close it then? That's why I suggested the double tap to open fully, still allowing the single tap (used most often), to close it.

• Helpful
Reactions: sukhi
How do you close it then? That's why I suggested the double tap to open fully, still allowing the single tap (used most often), to close it.

FWIW, there are two buttons on their (recent) cars. One closes the trunk or sets the max height, and the other opens it (use it once to open to the preset height, tap it again to open to full). I don't think their fobs/remotes let you open to max height.

FWIW, there are two buttons on their (recent) cars. One closes the trunk or sets the max height, and the other opens it (use it once to open to the preset height, tap it again to open to full). I don't think their fobs/remotes let you open to max height.

Two buttons? I'm aware of one just above the license plate to open it, and the round one at the underside of the trunk lid to close it/set the height. Is there another one somewhere? If I double hit the opening one above the license, will it open to full? Gonna try this out during lunch.

Two buttons? I'm aware of one just above the license plate to open it, and the round one at the underside of the trunk lid to close it/set the height. Is there another one somewhere? If I double hit the opening one above the license, will it open to full? Gonna try this out during lunch.

I think the above description was for how Benz does it.

I was having the same issue lately, since max opening of the trunk would have the spoiler hit the garage door in our garage. I reset the opening height to a lower height to avoid damaging the spoiler, but now I keep hitting my head on the trunk when putting stuff in the car. It would be nice it they could make this GPS tagged like the smart air suspension to remember locations that need a lower opening height, but allow full opening when outdoors etc. I also don't see why they couldn't tie it in to the sensors that detect ceiling height for the FWDs.

It would be nice it they could make this GPS tagged like the smart air suspension to remember locations that need a lower opening height, but allow full opening when outdoors etc. I also don't see why they couldn't tie it in to the sensors that detect ceiling height for the FWDs.
Yeah, these are the two most reasonable choices I think. They could even be combined, if desired. That is, open to the max height detected by the roof sensor unless you're in some GPS coordinate range. And while we're at it, crowdsource that.

Instead, Tesla will solve it by implementing "trunk eject" which will be tied in with summon. Press a button, all of your belongings are ejected out of the back, the hatch closes, and it goes into your garage. Problem "solved".

I was having the same issue lately, since max opening of the trunk would have the spoiler hit the garage door in our garage. I reset the opening height to a lower height to avoid damaging the spoiler, but now I keep hitting my head on the trunk when putting stuff in the car. It would be nice it they could make this GPS tagged like the smart air suspension to remember locations that need a lower opening height, but allow full opening when outdoors etc. I also don't see why they couldn't tie it in to the sensors that detect ceiling height for the FWDs.
Or maybe put that spoiler away whenever the car is in park. I have mine set too for the height with the spoiler up and always hit my head. Today I went out and the spoiler was down and I was able to open the trunk a lot higher.

Reactions: ohmman