Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor noise after SuC session

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a weird SUC session tonight. We have just below freezing at the moment. The car was cold and I drove approx. 35 km before SuC. Had a stop 10 km before the SuC and then set the Navi to the SuC and it started heating the battery.

When I arrived to the SUC with 16% I plugged in and it showed the 3 battery heating bars and charged with 28 kW. It continued for more than 40 minutes at this rate. Then I decided to change charger and it immediately jumped to 120 kW charge rate.

When I left the SuC, there was a noise from the rear motor, raising in pitch as the rpm's of the motor climbed. I would say grinding-ish, but not grinding as I-NEED-TO-STOP grinding. The noise is audible from the outside as well.

The main thing is, that the noise was not there when arriving to the SuC and it has not been there at any point before.

Is there any way there can be a connection and what could it be?

The car is a 2015 P85DL with a 350V 90 kWh battery, about 130.000 miles on the clock and it had a replacement rear motor about 6 years ago.

Visited the same SuC today again. When starting off this morning there were no noise from the rear motor. Temperatures still around freezing. Came to the SuC with 38% and cold battery and charged with a steady 53kW up till 72%. It showed the battery heating bars the whole charging session.

When leaving the SuC the noise from the rear motor was back. Not as loud as yesterday, but diffidently there.

The noise is more electrical than mechanical