Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received delivery of my "early" Canadian signature in January, and finally got my car seats installed at the end of April. My kids do like them, though the sun/heat is tough. Setting the AC on fell helps, but I'm going to try the darkest legal tint in the back to see if it helps.

"next year's Model S" Hm.

I thought Tesla was not going to have year-based designs? I would not have expected there to be ever something like a 2014 Model S (i.e. when things are no longer simple retrofits, it will be a different car name (e.g. Model S-2 ), not a different year model).

However, it seems to be heading in that direction. Would be disappointing if it does.

I thought Tesla was not going to have year-based designs? I would not have expected there to be ever something like a 2014 Model S (i.e. when things are no longer simple retrofits, it will be a different car name (e.g. Model S-2 ), not a different year model).

However, it seems to be heading in that direction. Would be disappointing if it does.

This does add uncertainly to the equation that I don't like. Like the safety package we were talking about earlier in the week -- I'd like to have it and I'd be happy to have it added as a retrofit to a 2013 model. But, if it's added for 2014, then I'd consider waiting to buy.

No new model year required.. one day we'll see a thread about the new vents. (you know, like the door handles, fog lights, alcantara, etc)

I'm Sig #69. Approaching 6 months and still haven't heard a word from Tesla about installing the rear seats. I'm starting to get upset about it. My youngest son is growing quickly and if it takes another 6 months to get the seats, he probably won't even fit anymore...or at the very best he'll only fit for a short time. I would still like the seats, but if I don't start hearing anything from Tesla soon I might not have a choice but to ask for a refund.

I realize that due bill items are a pain, and service center where I live isn't officially open (even though they've had someone working out of their for about two months), but 6 months is a long time to be waiting for a due bill item. Plus I paid for my service plan, so whether the service center is officially open or not, Tesla should be taking care of my car. You would also think Tesla would put more effort into servicing Signature owners (yes, I played the Sig card).

Well I finally got the rear seats installed. It took 6 months after I received the car and one month after I started inquiring about when I would get the seats.

My kids loved their first ride in the rear seats. It was an enjoyable ride for me too since they didn't fight like they usually do in the car. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually and they'll start fighting again, but for now it was a nice bit of peace and quiet for me.

I am worried about the ventilation back there and right now I don't put my little guys back there on hot days. Did the tinting help? How much? How dark did you go and I have always been hesitant about tinted windows because visibility to me is way more important.

What exactly does installation of the jumpseats entail? I have a car from before the design change but Tesla does not retrofit them. I might be interested in purchasing them from someone whose kids have grown out of them, if that is possible. Maybe a 3rd party installer could do it.

What exactly does installation of the jumpseats entail? I have a car from before the design change but Tesla does not retrofit them. I might be interested in purchasing them from someone whose kids have grown out of them, if that is possible. Maybe a 3rd party installer could do it.

Wouldn't be a good idea. On the factory installs, Tesla beefed up the rear bumper to protect that area from a rear end collision. On your current car, the back is designed as a better "crumple zone" during high speed collisions to less whiplash for the passengers. It would be more risky to have your kids back there now

A plastic insert in installed on the back of the rear bench seats (2nd row). There are latch hooks there where the back of the rear jump seats lock into. Also some hooks are attached to the bottom sides of the of the rear cargo area (where the tire wells push into the car) - these hooks are where the bottom of the rear jump seats lach on. Finally, there are two hinges on the end of the rear foot well edge that is closest to the center of the car. The rear seats pivot on these hinges so you can stow them in the rear foot well.

So from an anchor point standpoint, there is a latch that has two hooks on the top of the seats, two hooks on the base of the seats that latch to do side tirewells and two hinges that secure the front of the rear seats. It's a very secure system that I have a lot of confidence in. I think if you have the reinforced rear cargo area, you could probably get a 3rd party to install the seats. The only thing that might not be back there is a switch for rear seat passengers to open up the power hatch. That control switch is run by the factory for those who ordered the seats but haven't had them installed yet, it lets my kids open and close the rear power liftgate on their own (there is a safety interlock that only allows the switch to operate if the car is in park). There was an initial run of cars that Tesla installed the reinforced rear cargo area even if you didn't order the rear seats. You should check with Tesla to confirm that your car is one of those cars that has the reinforced area before you attempt any 3rd party install.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a good idea. On the factory installs, Tesla beefed up the rear bumper to protect that area from a rear end collision. On your current car, the back is designed as a better "crumple zone" during high speed collisions to less whiplash for the passengers. It would be more risky to have your kids back there now

His VIN is before the cutoff for no more after the factory retrofits, so presumably he and everyone else before the cutoff have the reinforced rear.

A plastic insert in installed on the back of the rear bench seats (2nd row). There are latch hooks there where the back of the rear jump seats lock into. Also some hooks are attached to the bottom sides of the of the rear cargo area (where the tire wells push into the car) - these hooks are where the bottom of the rear jump seats lach on. Finally, there are two hinges on the end of the rear foot well edge that is closest to the center of the car. The rear seats pivot on these hinges so you can stow them in the rear foot well.

So from an anchor point standpoint, there is a latch that has two hooks on the top of the seats, two hooks on the base of the seats that latch to do side tirewells and two hinges that secure the front of the rear seats. It's a very secure system that I have a lot of confidence in. I think if you have the reinforced rear cargo area, you could probably get a 3rd party to install the seats. The only thing that might not be back there is a switch for rear seat passengers to open up the power hatch. That control switch is run by the factory for those who ordered the seats but haven't had them installed yet, it lets my kids open and close the rear power liftgate on their own (there is a safety interlock that only allows the switch to operate if the car is in park). There was an initial run of cars that Tesla installed the reinforced rear cargo area even if you didn't order the rear seats. You should check with Tesla to confirm that your car is one of those cars that has the reinforced area before you attempt any 3rd party install.

Perfect, thank you. I would definitely confirm that the area is reinforced before having someone attempt this.

I am worried about the ventilation back there and right now I don't put my little guys back there on hot days. Did the tinting help? How much? How dark did you go and I have always been hesitant about tinted windows because visibility to me is way more important.

I had my side windows and hatch tinted for that exact reason, my kids very quickly complained about being uncomfortable in sunny mild weather while in the trunk.

On the hatch glass I had Suntek CXP 20% installed, with less intense tints on the rear (55%) and front (70%) side windows due to taste and local laws. I could not find anyone installing ceramic tint in Montreal, but the Suntek CXP film has almost the same heat reflectiveness, does not interfere with electronic signals, and the price was right. Visibility through the hatch while driving is excellent, day and night (I had read that this only becomes a problem with limo-level tinting, i.e. 5%).

Kid's complaints immediately disappeared, and even though the hot summer weather is just starting up here, so far so good even on medium-length trips (1.5 hours).

Only one of my daughters noted the absence of airflow back there, although she said she was still comfortable.

Depending on the weather conditions where you live, a tint may be all you need.

Obviously it's rather unfortunate that Tesla did not think that ventilation would be required in an enclosed space sitting young passengers...