Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have learned that if you say something things change. Call it what you want.

I'm not sure why people come to your thread to disagree with your 3-4 months waiting experience on Tesla repair. By all means 3-4 months is a long time for getting all the parts and Tesla gotto make some improvement in this aspect.

Put yourself in other people's shoes and see if you will get pissed off when you getting into accident and have to wait 3-4 months for parts. If people don't like this thread, move on and don't rub salts on the wound.

Also, things is going to get worst if nothing gets done on the parts availability as more and more model 3 is keep pumping out from factory everyday.

I'm not sure why people come to your thread to disagree with your 3-4 months waiting experience on Tesla repair.

Well, for one, he's not actually had any such experience.

It's been nearer 3-4 days at this point.

But he's "heard" from some folks it can take that long and just assuming his own repair will too.

This has been contradicted by some who've had theirs done much quicker, and a recent news story quoting an actual Tesla certified body shop owner who states Tesla has vastly improved their parts delays to the point they're now comparable to some German brands like BMW.

He's fortunate already in that- nobody was injured, and it was clearly the other persons fault so he will get an unlimited rental car to use in the meantime (and should be billing them back for fuel costs too during that time). Further, it appears at this point he's fortunate the car won't be totaled so he won't lose the irreplaceable things on his vehicle (FUSC and free lifetime premium data- also the older version of FSD that promised more stuff than the current version though YMMV on if that'll ever matter)

I certainly feel bad Garlan had an accident, but he seems hell bent on being as pessimistic as possible about the future outcome of the situation, and uninterested in any perspective that suggests things might not turn out as badly as he's convinced they will.

I had an object fall off a military vehicle on a base in SoCal and while I almost swerved out of the way it still penetrated the lower driver side front bumper fascia and scuffed it in several spots before hitting the ground. The damage was significant enough to try and replace my bumper. Seeing as how I had a deep scratch on my rear bumper fascia I decided to replace both out of pocket.

I spoke with Tesla, the service response was extremely quick and I was linked up with Van Nuys in October 2018. I placed an order for both bumpers painted as Van Nuys was incapable of painting on site. I was quoted the price of repairing the bumpers, not a full replacement or so I was told. The bumpers finally came in, painted, around December 21st 2018. I was out of the state and unable to make an appointment before Christmas and they said I could come by after the new year. I called when I returned only to find out the Van Nuys location was closed permanently and my bumpers were shipped over to Pomona. I contacted my service adviser only to find out my bumpers were not shipped and they were not able to locate them. I place an order for two unpainted bumpers to go to Pomona and was told to expect a call for an appointment. I called everyday for approximately 5 weeks before I was told they had bumpers but they could not get me in for another month as they were backed. At that point I am 5 months from my initial contact and looking at another 3-4 weeks just to get another appointment, it would take another week once they came in to get it replaced and painted. I never got their call back that they received bumpers.

I gave it two weeks and went to the San Diego SC. I was told I could just order pre-painted bumpers and have them shipped to the SC. They said they may even have them in stock. I waited and they confirmed they were out of blue bumpers and emailed Pomona to request bumpers. I have emailed the service guy at the SD SC once a week since and nothing. It has been 3 weeks and he said it is all on Pomona.

At this point, roughly 75% of the time I have owned the car I have been waiting for 2 bumpers.

I love this car. It is fun to drive, convenient, looks great, efficient and has a low TCO. My story is very mild compared to some I have heard and it is still unacceptable. The scarcity of parts, lack of supply chain cohesion, time to repair and huge backlog is very, very concerning. I would say parts/repairs are the biggest threats to the future of the company.

The quote is my experience from another thread I replied to back in April. It is now half way through June and I am STILL waiting. To be fair, I do not know if the bumpers actually ever existed.

The Service Centers current response is "the place where we have all our parts painted is on a freeze at the moment and we will let you know when they are painting again." Sounds like total *sugar*, but when paired with news around the same time of the factory paint shop receiving multiple infractions and reducing output, maybe there is some validity. I did get to see my service account in their system where it showed the parts on order under my vin with a notification on it saying it was delayed.

Either way I am still waiting for two bumper replacements so I can finally wrap my car in xpel and its been roughly 9 months.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ord3r and P85_DA
The quote is my experience from another thread I replied to back in April. It is now half way through June and I am STILL waiting. To be fair, I do not know if the bumpers actually ever existed.

The Service Centers current response is "the place where we have all our parts painted is on a freeze at the moment and we will let you know when they are painting again." Sounds like total *sugar*, but when paired with news around the same time of the factory paint shop receiving multiple infractions and reducing output, maybe there is some validity. I did get to see my service account in their system where it showed the parts on order under my vin with a notification on it saying it was delayed.

Either way I am still waiting for two bumper replacements so I can finally wrap my car in xpel and its been roughly 9 months.

9 months?

Hmmmm.

hit by deer. Took out right front panel, mirror on right right head light and scratches on door. Repair time 3 hrs but had two week wait for parts. Took it to tesla owned body shop about an hours drive but worth it. Had called a tesla authorized shop locally but their attitude gave me a bad feeling about them saying it could be a long wait for parts. Cost of repair under 4K

• Informative
Reactions: CarlK
Do have a Model 3? 9 months for a bumper cover doesn’t sound right. I know they have been shipping to be painted at body shops.

Yes it is a 3. I have owned it since March of 2018. Parts can come painted or unpainted. According to the service center in San Diego they come pre painted the majority of the time, as they order them under owner VIN through the parts catalog, where each color fascia has its own individual part number.

I'd say it is fairly obvious that waiting 9 months for two parts is not right.

;)Let me just drop this gem right here ..sums up the whole thread

CFA4C79B-D6F5-4F50-A900-0D3EAD06C527.jpeg

Just confirming that it took 9 weeks to get in a quarter panel and bumper for a model 3. I was told 4-6 weeks to repair. $8k in total.

Talking to the service guy at the this party repair shop, he said the longest waits tend to be for battery packs - up to 6 months as of late.

He also said they have about 50 Teslas in atm. Before model 3's were released, their monthly revenue was $80k, now it's $300k.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: CarlK and P85_DA
I manage a Lexus parts department. We have extensive wholesale body shop sales.
Most parts orders are filled within 3 days. We do have situations where we have to wait some time for bumper covers , windshields, mostly on new models. In general we have excellent access to parts , of course Toyota has an extremely well developed parts system in North America. I would expect nothing less from them. If my Lexus was damaged I’m confident the parts wou”d be in quickly . While I would like the same level of service for my Tesla , I think it’s asking. A lot for a relatively new company and one much smaller to have the same capabilities. Let’s see how this plays out , maybe Tesla will come through with parts ina reasonable time. I hope they improve it’s a key part of a great brand.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your 3! I picked mine up on May 4th. 10mins after leaving the delivery center I was rear ended by a 1/2 tonne pickup (mid 90s Chevy, big chrome bumper). Back bumper, trunk lid - both damaged. Car was still drivable (thankfully).

Went to the local certified repair shop (on Vancouver Island, BC). They said part availability is getting better. Told me about past multi-month waits.

Parts arrived about a month later. However seems half the order sat in Canadian Customs for almost 2 weeks.

Shop has all the parts and car goes in tomorrow for a week (or so). I'm looking forward to getting it back and being able to use the trunk for the first time. And stop getting looks and comments out and about.

It's still an amazing car, but my excitement on getting it was tarnished immediately. Which is too bad. And I've been honest with folks I've talked to about delays.

Just need to finish healing physically from the accident.

Hope you get reunited with your 3 soon.

Sorry to hear about your 3! I picked mine up on May 4th. 10mins after leaving the delivery center I was rear ended by a 1/2 tonne pickup (mid 90s Chevy, big chrome bumper). Back bumper, trunk lid - both damaged. Car was still drivable (thankfully).

Went to the local certified repair shop (on Vancouver Island, BC). They said part availability is getting better. Told me about past multi-month waits.

Parts arrived about a month later. However seems half the order sat in Canadian Customs for almost 2 weeks.

Shop has all the parts and car goes in tomorrow for a week (or so). I'm looking forward to getting it back and being able to use the trunk for the first time. And stop getting looks and comments out and about.

It's still an amazing car, but my excitement on getting it was tarnished immediately. Which is too bad. And I've been honest with folks I've talked to about delays.

Just need to finish healing physically from the accident.

Hope you get reunited with your 3 soon.

Thanks @AtlasTracer.

Sorry to hear about your 3 as well.

Glad to hear the BC parts are arriving quickly.

Thanks again .

Don't believe everything body shops tell you. They are known to keep you there waiting while spending their time to go after new business. Parts availability is the most used excuse. Don't let them to start dismantle your car until parts are all there or you will be stuck.

Reactions: P85_DA
Don't believe everything body shops tell you. They are known to keep you there waiting while spending their time to go after new business. Parts availability is the most used excuse. Don't let them to start dismantle your car until parts are all there or you will be stuck.

I have a front fender bender a month ago, body shop had placed order with bumper/hood/windshield, frunk and hinges.
Everything except the frunk has arrived and I've also keep in touch on the side with Tesla Body Shop Advocate for parts tracking and as of right now after a month they still have no ETA of the Frunk availability.

I do agree that there are cases of body shop held back but most of the time it is just simply no stock from Tesla. If you have concern you should keep in touch with Body Shop Advocate to make sure all the parts for your car (trace by VIN #) is indeed in the parts order list.

Just need to finish healing physically from the accident

I don't think you would chose to be in another car if you require healing despite it being a TESLA!

Tesla Model 3 = Safest Car Ever Tested By NHTSA. How Did Tesla Pull It Off? | CleanTechnica

Are you honest with the same folks about that...?

It's a crazy mentality to prefer a 60's car that suffers minimal damage but the driver is liquefied with all the kinetic energy transferred to the squishy life form inside.

Car gets fixed/replaced sooner or later.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I don't think you would chose to be in another car if you require healing despite it being a TESLA!

Tesla Model 3 = Safest Car Ever Tested By NHTSA. How Did Tesla Pull It Off? | CleanTechnica

Are you honest with the same folks about that...?

It's a crazy mentality to prefer a 60's car that suffers minimal damage but the driver is liquefied with all the kinetic energy transferred to the squishy life form inside.

Car gets fixed/replaced sooner or later.

Yup very honest. If it was any other car it would have been much worse. Both for the car and likely me too. I've made that quite clear too.