Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partner backed up more than required and hit a pole unfortunately. Picture attached. Any recommendation on repairs and approximate repair cost?
IMG_9779.jpeg

Welcome to the club, and if the damage was any more serious, I’d say the car is totaled.

No, it’s not. Just a running joke on TMC. If you spend more time here, you’ll realize why 😂

Total SWAG, but if you take it to a body shop, they’ll probably want $2-3k to putty the area, smooth it, blend the paint, and reapply the clear coat. You can try calling around (not Tesla Service Centers), but this type of work is probably too small or too low priority for most body shops.

Or you can get touch up paint (like from dr color chip) and try to fix it yourself.

Alternatively, leave it alone 🤷‍♂️ if it were me, I’d probably leave it alone… Bay Area drivers being what they are.

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it! Unfortunately the damage, as small as it is, is pretty noticeable from afar so we do want to get it fixed. I'll try some body shops near me to see how much they quote. The non paint plastic area also has some slight damage - I wonder how or even if that can fixed without replacing the whole rear bumper.

Also, we have to go to a Tesla service center for a new car service request (we recently got it and it had some minor paint issues). So I will ask them about this damage as well just to see what estimate they give.

$2-3k for that? I would be surprised if it costs that much - even the Lexus dealership runs specials for fixes just like this for $300-400. It probably costs less to replace the whole bumper than $3k. Now maybe no one wants to do it since it’s a small job, but I’m betting the under on that estimate.

$2-3k for that? I would be surprised if it costs that much - even the Lexus dealership runs specials for fixes just like this for $300-400. It probably costs less to replace the whole bumper than $3k. Now maybe no one wants to do it since it’s a small job, but I’m betting the under on that estimate.
For sure… but looks like a Highland, and throw in the Tesla tax for the Bay Area 🤷‍♂️