Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What irks a lot of people here is that Tesla had a history of under promising and over delivering but then they completely reversed and if they get sued, they'll just point tons of examples of other makes and models that could never achieve their performance specs either.
Indeed.

A similar angst is floating around regarding the servicing, just at a lower volume. "I want to support Tesla against dealerships, but there's nowhere I can service my Tesla besides Tesla so it's difficult to fully support the Tesla argument." Sadly.

Perhaps surprising to you, but not to me and at least some others. Just further proves that the issue wasn't a money one -- nor an unwillingness to pay for more/better -- but rather an issue in Tesla's behavior and positioning on the matter. We expected better fromTesla, and have been disappointed. They had been better than that, and hopefully one day again will be better than that.

Goes to the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" concept.

If my position is that you've ripped me off and I'm shouting that from the rooftops, and telling anyone that who will listen, well then I'm hardly going to hand deliver you more of my hard earned money after the fact, so that you can repeat the process.

That's what strikes/struck me as odd.

Goes to the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" concept.

If my position is that you've ripped me off and I'm shouting that from the rooftops, and telling anyone that who will listen, well then I'm hardly going to hand deliver you more of my hard earned money after the fact.

That's what strikes/struck me as odd.

Tesla basically has monopoly power over a set of buyers right now. Basically the moment that changes there will be an exodus.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
He was sleeping the light.

Not unheard of if I the purpose was solely a time trial.

If he had other equipment to activate, cameras for example, or if he were switching it to Ludicrous or max battery, playing with the launch control, wasn't racing anyone, I can see how his R/T would be high like that.

When I would data log some of my passes in my Vette, I would have late reaction times like that too since I wasn't racing anyone.

The elapsed timers don't start until he breaks the beam.

Last edited:
It does because it has the front applique. The solid roof cars are body colored on the roof from the windshield back. The red MT car did not have the panoramic roof but it DID have the 21" grays.

I can already tell you though that my 0-60 times with my 21" grays are about 0.03 seconds slower with my vbox than with my 19s. I'm sure that translates into a bit more for a much longer 1/4 mile run.

Thanks for the clarification on the roof. As my car actually is black, I was unsure about this.

I wonder if it may have done better than a the 11.152x with the solid roof and it's weight savings vs his sunroof.

2.76 seems like a huge reaction time.

See above.

Last edited:
Tesla basically has monopoly power over a set of buyers right now. Basically the moment that changes there will be an exodus.

I think we'll see an owner run a 10.9 first.

And while that above comment may have some humor in it, I do mean that.

We will see 10.9 in the quarter before Tesla faces any serious rivals for the luxury EV market.

However that said, that Tesla is the only game in town, doesn't mean that I have to spend another dime with them on an add on product, (Ludicrous upgrade) if I'm already having a fit about to them ripping me off in the first place.

You can holler "nuff" with your wallet. And not opening it especially to give them more money for what you have shouted that you already paid for.

But that didn't happen. That's what's odd.

Some of the ones who had been most vocal were the first in line, PayPal in hand, looking to "buy" that which they had claimed they had already paid for.

Last edited:
P85DEE
Most
All but the most timid
A vast majority
More than half
A whole heck of a lot
A herd
A gaggle
A clutch
A butt load

There, I think I covered most the bases and all are accurate.

You really are incorrigible but I'm not going to change my position because you want to nit pick every word or like to write books in support of your position.

Hopefully you will see your ten second quarter within your lifetime. That would be great. It still does not and will not change the fact that Tesla has evolved. I hope they evolve back.

P85DEE
Most
All but the most timid
A vast majority
More than half
A whole heck of a lot
A herd
A gaggle
A clutch
A butt load

There, I think I covered most the bases and all are accurate.

You really are incorrigible but I'm not going to change my position because you want to nit pick every word or like to write books in support of your position.

Hopefully you will see your ten second quarter within your lifetime. That would be great. It still does not and will not change the fact that Tesla has evolved. I hope they evolve back.

Well I don't know about incorrigible, but I do seem to rub you the wrong way.

Seemingly for no other reason than my opinions sometimes differ from your own.

You seem to have a problem with dissenting opinions. Even going so far as playing the "I've been in her longer a than you" card and hen you don't like them.

But.

Tesla has competitors who have been and continue to play by a harsh set of rules.

If they can no longer proceed along the line of stating specs that any Joe Schmoe with a cup of Starbucks in one hand and a cigarette in the other can hit "half hung over" from last night after driving over hell's half acre and with 70% state of charge left or less, well then it's noble to lament the absence of "the good ole days", and look back on those with a nostalgic eye (how was that for incorrigible?), but Tesla has competitors who take the same approach they appear to be taking.

The reality is, Tesla is obligated only to speak the truth with regard to what the car is capable of.

And that may differ from that which you or I or Joe may be able to get from it.

What you're discussing is all well and good for "once upon a time". But perhaps Tesla has elected to be more fluid and change their game and that's their option.

In the words of that legendary head coach William Laird Cowher: "It is what it is."

Last edited:
They are playing more by your rules than mine these days. I prefer they be more truthful which they were once upon a time.

When it comes to the 10.9 quarter mile spec, I have yet to see any solid proof, aside from no private owner out of a handful of owners attempting, getting that "yet", that this is a lie.

And it's arguable as to if the above even constitutes and "reaches the threshold" of "solid proof".

There is no "rewriting history" involved in what that last paragraph states. It is, what it is.

Just because John Doe can't get it, doesn't make it a lie.

Until someone proves that Tesla has lied here, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. For reasons already stated.

Last edited:

Correct... :cool:

It's interesting that they're 19" wheels. How many of the P90Ds have 21" wheels which are 40 lbs heavier combined.
I'll bet that's good for a tenth.

I have forged 19" wheels and they save 10lbs per corner vs. OEM 19" and 15lbs vs. OEM 21" for 1 tenth.

You're reading my mind.
I'm also thinking that they could be all season tires. Also can you tell from the pic if that car has a sunroof?

Yes a Pano roof... delete for another tenth.

28387-2016-Tesla-Model-S.jpg

Last edited:
However that said, that Tesla is the only game in town, doesn't mean that I have to spend another dime with them on an add on product, (Ludicrous upgrade) if I'm already having a fit about to them ripping me off in the first place.
You're painting the reaction of many owners (and reservation holders) as "fit" is both incorrect and clouding your judgement.

It's not at all cognitive dissonance to have an objection to the way Tesla is doing something, yet give them more money. The fact that you think things are so "simple" is a bit naïve.

Lola has my respect For his very well thought out opinions and I have been reading and kept up with these horsepower and quarter mile issues from the beginning.
I believe and support everything he has stated.
Quick review of you und does show that every quarter mile p85 D time with insane has equaled or improved on the 11.8 time that Tesla claimed. Look for yourself P85DEE.
The 10.9 claimed time that Motor trend got at 122 mph is rediculous at best and impossible with my car and most owners cars as is with Ludicrous. Only 3 reasonable possibilities is different firmware, correction factor, or it was untrue. To think otherwise shows a lack of understanding of physics.

The comparison with an ice is wrong. The reason touted for not achieving ice claimed times is traction and driver skill and these have little effect on a tesla.
I bought Ludicrous upgrade but do feel that I already paid for it initially. Money has Never been the issue for
Most of us P85d owners. I am very happy with my car now but there definitely was a change n Tesla that was not necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: sorka and brianman
Lola has my respect For his very well thought out opinions and I have been reading and kept up with these horsepower and quarter mile issues from the beginning.
I believe and support everything he has stated.
Quick review of you und does show that every quarter mile p85 D time with insane has equaled or improved on the 11.8 time that Tesla claimed. Look for yourself P85DEE.
The 10.9 claimed time that Motor trend got at 122 mph is rediculous at best and impossible with my car and most owners cars as is with Ludicrous. Only 3 reasonable possibilities is different firmware, correction factor, or it was untrue. To think otherwise shows a lack of understanding of physics.

The comparison with an ice is wrong. The reason touted for not achieving ice claimed times is traction and driver skill and these have little effect on a tesla.
I bought Ludicrous upgrade but do feel that I already paid for it initially. Money has Never been the issue for
Most of us P85d owners. I am very happy with my car now but there definitely was a change n Tesla that was not necessary.
Should read " quick review of YouTube "

P85DEE,
Please do paint anything I have said as calling Tesla a lier. Those words are reserved for far far more agregious behavior.

The short of it is that you are ok with Tesla acting like all your previous ICE experience when it comes to playing fast and loose with the truth (including the use of magazine cars ala Ferrari).

I have experienced better from Tesla and have watched the change so I lament the loss of pure engineering honesty.

That is really all there is to this back and forth; nothing more.

Mods,
Please feel free to take all this P85DEE and my back and forth and toss it in its own thread or in snippiness so it can die a nice natural death.

FlatSix,
Nice run!!!