Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain-sensing wipers driving me nuts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stuck in a monsoon downpour in Phoenix in late August. I was driving to the service center when the roads turned into river torrents. The windshield wipers were wiping like there was no tomorrow, as fast as possible. However, an odd thing happened when I turned off the wipers in the middle of the torrential downpour... I actually could see better! I know this sounds counterintuitive, but sometimes you will actually have better visibility through the sheeting water on the your windshield than with your wipers batting back and forth like crazy.

Okay - so this is probably just me being spoiled by the rain-sensing windshield wipers in my ML350 but it seems like the MS version is VERY inconsistent in the timing and the response to rain.
Yeah, as far as I can tell they don't work at all. I just use the "low" and "high" manual settings. (The high setting isn't high enough, either.)

- - - Updated - - -

N4HHE said:
They need to send a developer to the Southeast for a couple of weeks until they get it right.
Or the northwest!

Or the Northeast. Frankly, I think they didn't test the wipers anywhere except California.

---
However, I will say I was pleasantly surprised that the auto lights work pretty much perfectly. Wasn't expecting that.

Speaking of auto-sensing wipers and headlights, has anyone else noticed that when running with DRLs in daytime, the headlights actually flash when the auto-sensing wipers sweep? I noticed this while stopped at a traffic light today, and I saw my own headlights unexpectedly flash. They did it again the next time the sensor triggered the wipers. I am guessing it is a software bug related to the requirement of headlights being when wipers are on.

Speaking of auto-sensing wipers and headlights, has anyone else noticed that when running with DRLs in daytime, the headlights actually flash when the auto-sensing wipers sweep? I noticed this while stopped at a traffic light today, and I saw my own headlights unexpectedly flash. They did it again the next time the sensor triggered the wipers. I am guessing it is a software bug related to the requirement of headlights being when wipers are on.

I use auto quite a bit and have never seen that behavior.

Interesting. I just noticed it today after a year of ownership. I wonder if it was recently introduced by a software update? Be on the lookout for it when you are in a position to see your headlights (which are also set to Auto), and DRLs on in my case, and likely yours in Canada also.

Hey JakeP, saw this happen today as I pulled up behind another car at a stop! We've had our first bit of real rain in the Bay Area in weeks and I had the wipers on auto. Was startled a bit to see the lights flash as the wipers swept but, I then recalled this post. I hope this is happening only when at a stop and not when on the move too (couldn't tell for sure but will be on the lookout). Hope it gets fixed soon. Anyone report this to ownership yet? Am doing it now.

Hey JakeP, saw this happen today as I pulled up behind another car at a stop! We've had our first bit of real rain in the Bay Area in weeks and I had the wipers on auto. Was startled a bit to see the lights flash as the wipers swept but, I then recalled this post.

gg_got_a_tesla I am also in the Bay Area and used my wipers during rainfall for the first time today (got my S85 on 12-21-2103 and this is the first time it has rained since that date!). I definitely did not see my headlights flash during "wipes" when stopped. Unable to check for sure if the lights flashed while moving but don't think do. I tried both auto sensing positions on the control stalk. I have FW 5.8.4 and the Tech Package.

Am very glad to have this rainfall but am convinced that water rationing is going to be necessary this year in California.

As far as I know the headlights have always turned on when the wipers are used if the lights are set in 'auto'.

My experience today with the auto sensing wipers at around 1pm while it was raining, with the headlights on "auto", was that my headlights did not come on. The sky was cloudy but it was fairly light, headlights not needed.

Doug_G may have an explanation for what we saw:

The headlights turn on if you turn on the wipers... but if intermittent / rain sensing mode is active, they turn off if the wipers don't actuate for a couple of minutes. This resulted in my headlights turning on and off repeatedly today while I was driving in very light snow. After a while I noticed this and manually turned on the headlights.

Oh, and if you manually pulse the wipers the headlights do not turn on.

Here's something interesting re: flashing headlights. Yesterday evening, I was waiting in the car while my wife ran in to a store. It was dusk and my headlights were on and glaring back at me from the store's glass window, so I turned them off from the touchscreen while I remained in the car. Subsequent to this, they'd give a flash every minute or so and my wipers were NOT on at all. While I waited, I started to pay attention and also noticed the "Headlight On" indicator on the dash would also briefly appear whenever the headlights flashed.

As we departed, I left the headlight control in Off and drove away with DRLs only. Sure enough, the headlights would flash every so often as I drove. It was dusk, so I put it back in Auto and just let them come on and stay on.

I never noticed this before, but then probably wouldn't have if I hadn't seen it in a storefront window. Clearly it has nothing to do with the wipers. I wonder how often my car "winks" at others as I drive?