Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro fuses confusion for Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody,

So first maybe a little background:

I bought a salvage Tesla 100D 2019 from an auction and imported it for myself to Europe.

Damage is driver airbags, curtain airbags, left seat belt, complete front (bumper etc), compressor and valve block, also right upper shotgun and right fender.

I planned to work on the car myself ordering used and new parts from EPC. Some restricted - uuuffff - right shotgun is like 150$, but resellers offer them for 400$.

Anyways right now I'm collecting all damaged items and plan to do all the work in 1 shot. I couldn't start the car, just to move it down the small lorry. Right now when I got 75% of the stuff I want to be preapered to do all the things needed and program it with toolbox 3. So I got few questions for the experts. Here we go:

1. Is it true that after airbag deploy the pyrofuse under the battery blows? Does it happen always with airbag deploy?

2. This ones gonna be hard. I'm assuming that pyrofuse is the reason for quickly dying low voltage battery, when trying to start the car it says voltage too low and shutting down. Anyways I wanted to order that one directly from Tesla (it's over the counter item in their EPC catalog). So what it shows me from VIN (or just by parts catalog) is * 1111313-00-F with comment
DISCONNECT,PYROTECHNIC,CUR POWERED,2000A
Do NOT use with 100kWh or 1014116-*/1597780-* HV Batteries
Well my car is 100D so a 100 kWh battery :p I asked EPC stuff by email is this the right one for my car and they replied all they know is what is in EPC so that's the only reference and there are no other pyro fuses offered (even restricted or Tesla only, anyway it would be in EPC). They also gave me a hint that 1111445-00-F is the factory pyro fuse that comes with the car.
Here comes the hard question. The difference between them is that the number uno (don't use on 100kWh) is 2000A and the other one is 2366A. Do you think I could just use the first one as I want it brand new and Tesla don't offer other ones.
There are 10000 people that import and fix teslas and I think they don't give much f* which pyro they put in but I want to sleep good.

3. Tesla also states that a small pyro next to fusebox should be changed whenever an airbag is deployed. The car seems to work normal except for not driving. Do you think it needs exchanging - I'm positive it's not blown (checked)?

4. After I am done with everything except painting the car I plan to use Toolbox 3 to clear all the crash data, delete all errors etc. Do you think 1 day is enough? Cause I am thinking about 1 day now, 1 day after painting (which would be 200 euro) or 1 month for 500 euro...

I think that would be all. Tesla EPC stuff is quite helpful but seem not to have much service knowledge.

Kind Regards

Sorry for making this so loooong and all the mistakes I made language wise.

The Pyro fuse in the HV battery has no communication with the rest of the car.
Meaning it will not blow unless there is an actual short in the HV system.

The 12V pyro fuse on the other hand is triggered by the same system as the airbags.

Reactions: Scotland41
The Pyro fuse in the HV battery has no communication with the rest of the car.
Meaning it will not blow unless there is an actual short in the HV system.

The 12V pyro fuse on the other hand is triggered by the same system as the airbags.
Wait you're saying the main Pyro fuse doesn't blow when the airbags deploy? I have seen it said numerous times that the main 2000A fuse blows in an accident that deploys the airbags so as to protect first responders from high voltage lines being active in the car. Are you certain of this?

Oh my goodness! I replaced my main Pyro and not the one by the 12v battery. I cannot get the car to move, everything works but driving. I will get that other fuse done and see what happens. Any insight about what it will take to get it driving? All the airbags deployed, the seatbelt tensioners are toast also. I have the front bumper cover off, will that keep the car from being able to drive at least to move ti around? I have seen videos of people driving with the car in this condition but never an explanation or procedure of how to get it there.

Shutting off both relays in the battery does indeed shut off HV. And there is an pyro fyse for the 12V that blows in an crash. But the HV Pyro fuse only blows if there is an short.
But, I was told by a tow truck driver that Tesla made it so the main pyro will blow in an accident that is serious enough to deploy airbags in case frist responders need to cut into the car, that way they won't get electrocuted

Reactions: Scotland41
As I understand, if the airbags deploy then the frunk pyro fuse blows. The HV battery pyro needs an incident in the HV itself.
To make safe the HV battery first responders have to open the frunk, remove the panel below the windscreen and double cut the orange tagged HV cutoff loop that is seen on the right side. This is in older models. Every model has emergency responders instructions in the Tesla Service manual section which i assume has been given out to emergency services.