Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed earlier this evening AP cost lowered to $2,000. Thought it had been $3000. No announcements but thanks all for the confirmation.
Elon mentioned this on Tweeter about getting his team on it but didn’t mention how much, I posted his tweet above. I was waiting for it to drop to 2k to pull the trigger, got great WiFi and ran a speed test on 2.4gz but nothing yet, maybe tomorrow.

Fred

Man, if he knocked $3k off FSD for people that already had basic AP (since he’s thinking of offering no AP to FSD for $7k total) I might actually jump on that... even though I shouldn’t... it would be really tempting at that price.

well- looking now like they just cut basic AP to 2k until July 1 as a sale, so not quite as much savings as he implied over the weekend

For what it’s worth, I paid $3k to get autopilot and rarely use it in city driving or normal quick trips on highways. I feel that it’s literally a waste of $3k IN MY CASE. I’m quite sure that for some it’s life changing.

The car has safety features to keep you in the lane and they’ve always been more than sufficient for me when a simple adaptive cruise control is on. You do not need to pay anything for adaptive cruise control and those safety features for lane departures and emergency braking. Autopilot adds lane tracking and that’s all.

Autopilot’s phantom braking, irrational behavior at times such as swaying to the center when a lane is merging into mine (its biggest flaw in my opinion) instead of staying straight... the unpredictability is anxiety inducing to me because I feel like some day it can lead to an accident with me being at fault 100%. While AP continues to improve a great deal, if your commute is super short, or you take road trips that are not on major highways for miles and miles, then it may be worth saving $3k (or $2k today) and stick with the adaptive cruise control. Just my two cents.

For what it’s worth, I paid $3k to get autopilot and rarely use it in city driving or normal quick trips on highways. I feel that it’s literally a waste of $3k IN MY CASE. I’m quite sure that for some it’s life changing.

The car has safety features to keep you in the lane and they’ve always been more than sufficient for me when a simple adaptive cruise control is on. You do not need to pay anything for adaptive cruise control and those safety features for lane departures and emergency braking. Autopilot adds lane tracking and that’s all.

Autopilot’s phantom braking, irrational behavior at times such as swaying to the center when a lane is merging into mine (its biggest flaw in my opinion) instead of staying straight... the unpredictability is anxiety inducing to me because I feel like some day it can lead to an accident with me being at fault 100%. While AP continues to improve a great deal, if your commute is super short, or you take road trips that are not on major highways for miles and miles, then it may be worth saving $3k (or $2k today) and stick with the adaptive cruise control. Just my two cents.
Adaptive cc is part of ap.
If no ap, Classic cc.

Reactions: JBT66
While I mostly agree with my use case. I use TACC often. However it doesn’t come with the car you must have AP. I think it’s easily worth the 2K to get TACC. Auto steer is interesting but I don’t use it much.

I wish it came standard with adaptive cruise control
I had the trial period when I first purchased the car and it worked well with me, I used it mainly for highway purposes
In regards to the unsafe nature for yourself I understand
I also think it depends on road conditions, markings and so on
Am also looking forward to a road trip with it
Would lessen the fatigue for sure
I think for me and my conditions it’ll come in use

Now I’m hoping in the future as the tech becomes more standardized in vehicles and we start to see auto park more prevalent

That he adds that as a free upgrade down the road as part of autopilot
Would be cool even if it’s a gimmick to have the ability to move that car forward and backward in the app as well
I really hope that gets added as a free upgrade in time