Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP is kind of a rip-off now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without adding the automatic rear liftgate, it's price is STILL $3,500!

I ordered it on my 90D mainly for the liftgate. For me, the other features were mostly useless or of little value:

Bioweapon filter: I may use this noisy air blaster every year or so when I drive thru the stockyards on Highway 5 or if the North Koreans misbehave badly.

Three-position LED turning lights: I don't drive dark windy mountain roads very often. And even then, from reviews that I've read, it's value is questionable.

LED fog lights: Useless where I live or where I'm likely to travel.

Leather: I like the leather steering wheel (aren't they all leather now?). This can be added later. I can live without the other leather. Is it really leather? It looks like vinyl.

Patches of Alcantara: My wife likes it. I don't.

Soft LED lighting: I can live without this too. The extra trunk lighting is nice (after you replace the dim LEDs), but extra LEDs can be easily added. Same with the puddle lights.

Lighted door handles: Nice, but not worth much to me.

Phone jack: Never plan to use it. Easy to add afterwards.

So, if I were to order another MS, at $3,500, I'd take a pass on PUP. YMMV

And here's a guess: The upcoming price increase on the 100 series will include all of the features on the current PUP. The PUP option will be dropped for the 100D and P100D.

I have the same feeling about it.

According to my local store (so... take with grain of salt) the wheel, armrest, and doors are a high quality synthetic leather if you don't get the PUP. I pretty much share your opinion on everything else.

But when I ordered a couple days ago, there was a nearly perfect match Inventory car on its way to my local store. Only difference: it has PUP included... So I had to decide if $3400 ($100 discount on this inventory unit) more for the PUP and 1 month sooner delivery was worth it... The answer was obviously no, but it was hard to bite that bullet.

I should clarify - I personally did not choose it for all the reasons OP mentioned in the first post.
However... I do think the premium package as it's designed is actually quite reasonable.

The phone dock thing should be standard equipment. That's silly.
But everything else for $3500 isn't so bad compared to any other car brand imo

Other than the better lighting, there's hardly anything in the PUP that I would even want, let alone pay extra for. And, as I understand the phone dock, I'd have to take my phone out of the case to use it, and that isn't going to happen.

Other than the better lighting, there's hardly anything in the PUP that I would even want, let alone pay extra for. And, as I understand the phone dock, I'd have to take my phone out of the case to use it, and that isn't going to happen.

Don't know what phone you have but I have an iPhone 6S with an Apple Silicone case for it and it plugs in with that case into the charger in the car. I haven't however put in the side brackets yet and my husband said he wasn't sure those would fit the thickness of the phone with the case. Will try them this weekend and repost. Otherwise if the car is not moving I will occasionally charge with it. Hesitant to use it without in case we need to stop suddenly and it wants to fly forward and risk breaking the connector off. They really should have designed this part to be more adjustable and fit more phones with cases though.

As for the PUP, when we ordered our 75D at end of December it was definitely a good buy for us. We wanted the HEPA air filtration/bioweapon features (have allergies and hate being behind diesel vehicles in line), we do get foggy and if we drive through some of the mountain regions the adapted headlights would be useful too. We ordered leather seats and like the additional leather trim. The alcantara is nice especially on the dash as it cuts down reflection on the windshield. The LED lights are very subtle in the trunk/frunk and would like to replace those with brighter ones down the road. I'm okay with the other low lights where they are. Wanted the powered lift gate (which is now standard). The lit door handles are nice (not a must have).

And what also really sold us on our PUP package was the ventilated, perforated leather seat option. I love these seats and find them to be really super comfortable for me. The car we test drove in didn't have them, and I really did find those very comfortable--sporty but not well suited to my back. Now that they are no longer offered in the PUP package I suppose if we were ordering now we would probably still get the PUP but would feel it was less of a good buy for our needs. I am surprised since they discontinued the ventilated seats that they didn't offer something else in its place or reduce the price.

I suppose if you are buying your car with the intent of selling it down the road for a newer model, the PUP might be something the next buyer might want and add a bit to it's resale value or desirability. For us it was something for our daily use and we hope to enjoy in the car for sometime.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL and pilotSteve