Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C4C5EBBC-BC5F-49A0-8259-7681C9EA6B52.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F6504AF-0A79-44E5-AB90-0AC36D45B0B5.jpeg
    3F6504AF-0A79-44E5-AB90-0AC36D45B0B5.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 45
I have the AO "T" lights in front and the AO ultra bright in the rear. opening the rear door, the lights are bright. As soon as I open my front door my rears go dim. Also the "T" lights in the front door are not as bright.

Has anyone had this issue?View attachment 511089 View attachment 511090 [/ATTACH]

This is the reply I got from Abstract Ocean about my rear door lights being dimmer when both front and rear doors are open:
I have thier "T" logo in front and their Ultra-bright whites the rear.

The dimming is a consequence of the Model 3 providing very limited current to the doors. Our lights are significantly brighter, and only draw about 2x the power, which means that when both doors on the same side of the car are open, you sill see both dim by about 30% - so that's normal.

The Ultra Bright Bulbs are much brighter than the puddles as they are an entire bulb whereas the logo puddles only have the light in that concentrated area. Obviously the logos at night produce the best illumination, but the photo looks pretty good for a daylight shot espcially with both doors open

I don't think Abstract Ocean lights are worth the cost. I took a gamble on a $17 set from amazon and they're awesome. Much brighter than I expected.

Also, I haven't noticed dimming when two doors are open but I didn't pay too much attention to this.

3.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
You can mod your own old puddle lights by popping the single LED bulb off and putting a 3 or 4 light from a 12V light strip on it. You can do this to every puddle on your car you wish for less than $16. There's a thread some where here on TMC that shows it.

I just replaced my 4 puddle lights and notice that when the front doors are open, the rear puddle lights are dimmer. When I close the front doors the rear puddle lights return to normal brightness. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix?

I just replaced my 4 puddle lights and notice that when the front doors are open, the rear puddle lights are dimmer. When I close the front doors the rear puddle lights return to normal brightness. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix?

I just put in the "T" in the front and the 3 Lines in the back (both pairs from AO) and I noticed the same thing. Kinda curious because it doesn't seem that the stock puddle lights are much different brightness with front and rear doors open.

Reactions: Akikiki
This is what I got from Abstract Ocean regarding the dimming when both doors open.

The dimming is a consequence of the Model 3 providing very limited current to the doors. Our lights are significantly brighter, and only draw about 2x the power, which means that when both doors on the same side of the car are open, you sill see both dim by about 30% - so that's normal.

The Ultra Bright Bulbs are much brighter than the puddles as they are an entire bulb whereas the logo puddles only have the light in that concentrated area. Obviously the logos at night produce the best illumination, but the photo looks pretty good for a daylight shot espcially with both doors open

• Helpful
Reactions: Gasaraki
I have both Amazon and abstract. Currently have abstract T in front 3 in back. Amazon are bailunte brand. The build quality is better on abstract ocean and appears to have a microchip controller you can see from the top. The other just has a wire you can see. The Abstract T is larger and just a bit brighter. People have mentioned they can be adjusted. Mine lined up well so I didn't need to try that but the Amazon one's do not appear to be adjustable.