Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTC Heater Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
2012 MS P85 #2446. Just had PTC heater replaced at my local TSC. PTC heater failing caused fuse in DCDC converter to blow. 1 year warranty. While they were in the DCDC converter, all three fuses replaced. Apparently that is standard operating procedure since they already have the DCDC converter open. PS: Yes, realize this could have been a DYI project. Maybe next time.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 161935.png

Last edited:
Oh ok. I have a 2016 that I bought used from Tesla. According to my app only the battery and drive unit are covered for another year. That was my fault for misunderstanding the warranty terms and timeframe I guess. Thanks for the info!
Got it. Is your repair estimate similar to the one I posted? Around $1600 for new PTC heater, fuses and labor?

Last edited:
Got it. Is your repair estimate similar to the one I posted? Around $1600 for new PTC heater and fuses?
Mine was related to the gen3 ptc but also a coolant issue. I was getting an ac and charging error. Last year I had to have a heater and heater battery replaced. I go in Friday for them to do a deep dive. In researching the warranty I also came across the sweet smell from a coolant leak issue. I had smelled such before but thought it was an air freshener or filter (stupid I know lol). So who knows what the bill will be once they find the source of the leak. Not sure if it all related or not though. Including the quote below.

2F5FF4E2-9BD6-4FD7-8D6A-B0E4547CD0C8.jpeg

Reactions: NV Ray
For those with leaks, I just finished this article on how to tell what kind of leak it may be and if it's important or not: Tesla Fluid Leak Identifier – TeslaTap
2012 P85 here. Awesome article. Bookmarked. Last Oct Tesla replaced my out of warranty battery with new pack. As you can see from pic, condensate still will be dripping on pack. Should Tesla have modified drip path or have new packs addressed potential water intrusion issues ?

20230213_121754 (1).jpg