Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA, if you're in the mood for some great wwhitney content...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
I miss the days when @wwhitney would give amazing advice about PV+ESS installs on TMC.

If you miss such Tier-1 content as well, you need to check out the TerryLove plumbing forums. My contractor screwed up the venting of our bath tub, and I was researching about how the vent should have been run.

I come across a post that sounded like what @wwhitney used to provide here on TMC. It turns out, the plumbing advice was coming from @wwhitney.

As always, I'm the ID10T noob-dumb-ass who didn't know how venting was supposed to be run during rough-in. And it was apparently my job to tell the GC before he tiled over. Who knew. Of course, Wayne would have known. Anyway, now I know a lot about venting thanks to Wayne. The guy is an infinite source of information.

If you've got some time to kill and want to learn about plumbing, PEX, P-traps, and vents, you gotta check this out the forum. His post history is gold.

Last edited:
I miss the days when @wwhitney would give amazing advice about PV+ESS installs on TMC.
I'm still around, I'm just not spending much time browsing all the new threads to find the ones that have interesting electrical questions. Feel free to tag me on such threads to get my attention.

As always, I'm the ID10T noob-dumb-ass who didn't know how venting was supposed to be run during rough-in. And it was apparently my job to tell the GC before he tiled over. Who knew.
I expect you know this and are speaking tongue-in-cheek, but your contractor has an affirmative duty to always provide a code-compliant install. Even if an inspector mistakenly approves something that isn't code compliant.

Cheers, Wayne

I expect you know this and are speaking tongue-in-cheek, but your contractor has an affirmative duty to always provide a code-compliant install. Even if an inspector mistakenly approves something that isn't code compliant.

Cheers, Wayne

I wish I were being tongue in cheek, but every contractor I've had to work with has told me the same thing. "The customer is responsible, we're just the installer." These contractors are licensed lol. But they say I'm being too picky. Normal customers don't ask this stuff hehe. But the customer pays and is ultimately responsible. I'm befuddled TBH.

So my AC condensers being too close to the fence? Customer's fault.
So my PV+ESS design being complete ass unless Wayne and Vines give lots of input? Customer's fault.
So this freestanding tub having messed up venting so it drains ultra slow? Customer's fault.

Like man... how many freestanding tubs do people think I'm ever going to install in my life? How the efffff would I ever know these things unless I was Wayne? haha.

• Funny
Reactions: Matt-FL
Thanks again for @wwhitney and his infinite brain powers.

Finally got my contractor out here to pull the free-standing tub. We found a double-trap going on. They agreed that was wrong and don't know how so many brilliant minds missed this during rough-in and before the tile went in.

My theory is that since holeydonut is a dumb-ass he didn't know a double-trap was bad. And the guys doing the work didn't know a double-trap was bad.

But because @wwhitney knows a double-trap is bad, then when we pull things up, and we see a double trap, now everybody forms an inference that a double-trap is bad and can fix it.

They got rid of one trap, and now it's flowing great.