Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Protect your Key - Silicone FobPockets now in stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for good feedback. In terms of what they cost me to manufacture, you might be surprised....I hope I've been around on this forum long enough for people to know I'm not doing this to make an easy buck at the expense of fellow Tesla owners. The silicone FobPockets started design back in October 2013, it's taken 3 iterations to get them to this stage, each time requiring a new mould that's a thousand bucks. We also had to sacrafice 2 Model S keys, and then add in the shipping costs (to me, and them back out to my Customers), duty, patent, etc etc and it all really starts to add up. If I was making 100,000 of these for a Chevy key, then I'd get a pretty good volume break, but the Tesla Model S market is still very niche, so I do this as much for the challenge of design and iterative improvement as I do for the bit of money it makes. My day job can be a bit boring, so this keeps me amused :) At one point I considered a Kickstarter project for these ones, as the up-front investment costs were quite high.

Anyway, I've been using these in various forms since last year, and there's been no issues with the ink so far, so I think it'll hold up nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's just the leather ones that have the space for that, the Silicone ones are designed to be as low-profile as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

This from the guy that made me make tie-dye FobPockets :biggrin: I like the GID options too, the blue is my current 'ride'.

Please don't take my comment as a slight against you. I think Tesla should be buying the rights to these from you and make them standard with every car. It would save them money in the long run!

I received mine yesterday -- bought a blue and red one.

I had been using a CaseLogic USB holder since before Pete's original FobPocket came out. This really is a much better solution -- not much larger than the key itself.

I did mod it slightly to take the chain portion of the keychain off. I kept the small ring and just attached my existing key ring to that instead of at the end of the chain...

Please don't take my comment as a slight against you. I think Tesla should be buying the rights to these from you and make them standard with every car. It would save them money in the long run!

Not at all, I just wanted to demonstrate that while the cost of the raw materials is trivial, all the other 'stuff' adds up. I'm still trying to talk to Tesla, but at this point I think it would be easier to get an audience with Elvis.

Well, we've sold out of the Glow in the Dark green (there's 1 left, but that'll go soon). We had a limited number of those compared to the mainstream colors, but we'll have more arriving in about 3 weeks, together with the much-requested dark green to match the green Model S's.

Well, we've sold out of the Glow in the Dark green (there's 1 left, but that'll go soon). We had a limited number of those compared to the mainstream colors, but we'll have more arriving in about 3 weeks, together with the much-requested dark green to match the green Model S's.
Are there glow-in-the-dark options in other colors on the horizon in the near future? I like the idea of finding easily under low light, but I'm kind of partial to red. ;)

Are there glow-in-the-dark options in other colors on the horizon in the near future? I like the idea of finding easily under low light, but I'm kind of partial to red. ;)

I ordered glow-in-the-dark blue, but I was shipped purple. This is probably not their fault because the site didn't work well at all. I had to use two different browsers and switch between them for each ordering step.

I ordered glow-in-the-dark blue, but I was shipped purple. This is probably not their fault because the site didn't work well at all. I had to use two different browsers and switch between them for each ordering step.

Hi Jerry, I show you ordered 2 x Blue (not Glow in the dark). Want me to send you a couple of the GID versions, with a return label for the ones you don't want?

Noted, they're going to experiment with adding GID to the white and red FobPockets this weekend...no promises, as they've not offered other colors aside from the green and blue until now, but they're going to try (if there was a mad scientist emoticon, here's where I'd insert it!).

I have been using a blue one for a week. Very nice and far less bulky than other kinds.

I hope it stands the test of time.

Glad you like it. We've had a prototype version (same material, but slightly different design) in daily use since before Christmas, and it's held up really well. I've been doing a lot of yard work lately that means my pockets seem to fill up with mud dust, but a quick wipe with a damp cloth makes it look as good as new again.

One advantage is that your fingers can feel the impressed symbols to locate where to push. I'd been having an occasional need to take the naked fob out of my pocket in order to be sure of not unlatching the frunk.

My fob has the hole where the frunk button is, so feeling for it is not an issue. However, the silicone covers are great because they look like the fob and have the tactile location as well. Well worth getting.

No luck with new Glow in the Dark (GID) colors yet, but the next shipment will be here next week, and that'll include a new batch of GID green, together with white, brown, (dark) green and grey/silver to round out color matching all of the available Model S colors.

Pete, I just ordered 2 Black Sig ones-(Black with Red buttons) I figured I have a red car with a black interior so I did the reverse and it will "match the car" :) Black fob with a red interior. I believe this color combination will show scuffs and such much less than the red one probably would. I'm sure I'll be happy with them. Great design. Thanks for being so creative!