Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production (Non-Sig) Model X Vin #'s now being issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if they are now past the early deliveries, why exactly don't they open the configuration page for everyone to play with? This is ridiculous....

Because they don't want a whole bunch of people with confirmed orders and no delivery date. Things get much more "real" for people after an order confirms and they start wanting to know "when do I get it?"

Peter+

There are EU/Asia Signature and Production reservations holders to go. Canadian Productions as well. It appears Tesla is still keeping the site to limit hits at one time. Based on last Monday, all other US Production holders will configure this coming week. If Tesla "carte-blanche" opened the Design center they would have all the "tire kickers" there in addition to the reservation holders. Managing the customers right now, and then when those waiting then open to anyone who may want to take a peek seems a more prudent strategy.

Also, I think the number of US Signatures is about 1400, not 1000 and there is another 100 or so Canadian Signatures.

Because they don't want a whole bunch of people with confirmed orders and no delivery date. Things get much more "real" for people after an order confirms and they start wanting to know "when do I get it?"

Or, more precisely, it's about the expectations. If you click on a button that says "Reserve Yours", it's implied that you'll have to wait, and at that point you know it'll be a while. If there's an "Order Now" button like there is for the MS, you expect to be driving your new Tesla within a few months tops.

Both my local Tesla Service center as well as the person I spoke to at Tesla Financing told me my vin 25x was scheduled to go into production last week (1/15/16) with delivery sometime at the end of February to mid-March. A lot has to do with how it is shipped. I live in Florida so if it comes via truck it takes 1-2 weeks (depending on how many stops along the way) and via rail 3-4 weeks.

As you probably are aware many of the Model X's are being delivered to the service center where they sit for weeks. There appears to be two problems which are preventing the cars from being delivered to the customer. First there is a problem with the motor on the second row seats and the second issue is leaks around the falcon wing door. I guess once they have a fix to these two problems the service center will apply the fixes and then the car can be delivered to the customer. I have read threads indicating some people have seen their car at the service center (as verified by the VIN). One guy says his car has been there for over a month.

It it looks like they are building in the order of your VIN number with some minor exceptions.

As of yet I have not been contacted by my DS nor do I even know who it is. I tried to find out who my DS is the other day by calling the 800 number but was told my DS will contact me 2 to 3 months before delivery. I tried to explain my service center told me my car is in production and would be delivered in six to eight weeks but they repeated the 2 to 3 months speal.

Some of the people I have spoken to at Tesla have been outright rude where others have been very helpful.

Configured: 12/08/15
Confirmed: 12/16/15
VIN Assigned: 12/23/15

Options: P90D, Titanium Metalic Paint, Tan Leather, Ash wood decor, Light Headliner, 20" silver helix wheels, Premium upgrade package, Tesla Red Break Calipers, Active Spoiler, Autopilot Convience Features, Supercharger Enabled, Six seat configuration (2-2-2), Towing Package, 75 Amp Charging, Smart Air Suspension

Both my local Tesla Service center as well as the person I spoke to at Tesla Financing told me my vin 25x was scheduled to go into production last week (1/15/16) with delivery sometime at the end of February to mid-March.

First, welcome to TMC! Second, congratulations on your upcoming delivery.

I appreciate your feedback about what you've heard from Tesla. Sorry you haven't had consistent information from them, but this is sadly nothing new. My experience with my DS on my Model S was also pretty spotty, but the upside is that my MS has been awesome. In the end, that's what matters.

Keep us informed on how things are going.

Both my local Tesla Service center as well as the person I spoke to at Tesla Financing told me my vin 25x was scheduled to go into production last week (1/15/16) with delivery sometime at the end of February to mid-March. A lot has to do with how it is shipped. I live in Florida so if it comes via truck it takes 1-2 weeks (depending on how many stops along the way) and via rail 3-4 weeks.

As you probably are aware many of the Model X's are being delivered to the service center where they sit for weeks. There appears to be two problems which are preventing the cars from being delivered to the customer. First there is a problem with the motor on the second row seats and the second issue is leaks around the falcon wing door. I guess once they have a fix to these two problems the service center will apply the fixes and then the car can be delivered to the customer. I have read threads indicating some people have seen their car at the service center (as verified by the VIN). One guy says his car has been there for over a month.

It it looks like they are building in the order of your VIN number with some minor exceptions.

As of yet I have not been contacted by my DS nor do I even know who it is. I tried to find out who my DS is the other day by calling the 800 number but was told my DS will contact me 2 to 3 months before delivery. I tried to explain my service center told me my car is in production and would be delivered in six to eight weeks but they repeated the 2 to 3 months speal.

Some of the people I have spoken to at Tesla have been outright rude where others have been very helpful.

Configured: 12/08/15
Confirmed: 12/16/15
VIN Assigned: 12/23/15

Options: P90D, Titanium Metalic Paint, Tan Leather, Ash wood decor, Light Headliner, 20" silver helix wheels, Premium upgrade package, Tesla Red Break Calipers, Active Spoiler, Autopilot Convience Features, Supercharger Enabled, Six seat configuration (2-2-2), Towing Package, 75 Amp Charging, Smart Air Suspension

since these appear to be systemic issues, the real solution is to fix them at the source, meaning modify the production process or use a different part. This will increase quality and reduce time to deliver.

question is - does tesla have a fix for these in the factory for new ones coming off the line or are will they continue to retrofit at sc.

essentially, how quickly is tesla updating their production parts and process to remediate issues in the field for subsequent production ?

Just had a great conversation with my DS. My MX is "in the final stages of production". No estimate of when I can expect delivery since there is no way to know how long it is going to spend in QA at Fremont and then QA at the SC. However, he did ask for my schedule in February (hint?)

Hey there, I have a Production P90DL (RN #95, VIN 1xx) but haven't yet heard from a DS. Seems like plenty of people here with later reservation #s and/or VINs have - should I be worried?

Can't edit my sig yet (too n00b) but here's my ModelX Tracker deets: Production (United States) # 95 (VIN 1xx): MODEL X P90DL | Pearl White | 22G | Black | 7S | VHCS | CF | BH | SZ | PIL | AP | SAS | UHFS | AH

@onethumb, I don't think there is any worry. I am awaiting and VIN on my (Production) P90D, and realized there are Signature Holders awaiting delivery. I would imagine the DS are taking care of the final few hundred Sigs. Not sure where the Canadian Sigs fit in the sequence. I am also anxious, but decided I would give it a couple more weeks to get a VIN and then see what deliveries look like for Production holders to gauge.

@onethumb - No harm in dropping your DS an email. I did and that's how I found out mine was in production. Based on the Sig's, they don't necessarily build in strict Vin order. Someone on the TM forum took a factory tour yesterday and said there were a bunch of Titanium Metallic X's on the production line. Mine is that color and others have theorized that they may batch by color.

Hey there, I have a Production P90DL (RN #95, VIN 1xx) but haven't yet heard from a DS. Seems like plenty of people here with later reservation #s and/or VINs have - should I be worried?

Can't edit my sig yet (too n00b) but here's my ModelX Tracker deets: Production (United States) # 95 (VIN 1xx): MODEL X P90DL | Pearl White | 22G | Black | 7S | VHCS | CF | BH | SZ | PIL | AP | SAS | UHFS | AH

I don't think so, and I'm in the same boat. Prod #1071 and VIN 13x. I'll wait for the DS to contact me since I don't want to be the "are we there yet?" kid. :)

I agree with Peter. Furthermore, I don't think Tesla can build the Model-X fast enough to clear the backlog anytime soon. It's clear that Tesla would rather sell a Model-S. They make no mention of the Model-X at all. Go into a Tesla store or check out any of their press releases - nothing about the Model-X. Therefore, they are still trying to down-sell the Model-X and therefore, not going to open the design studio to the public until that changes.

I predict that once the ramp up is fully done, and the backlog is reasonable (e.g. 2 months or less), they'll open the design studio to the masses.