Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I wish that was my car in the video...but we opted for the forged wheels in silver...I also opted for the CF hardtop so I assume my car will either be topless or have the soft top on...Hope this helps those who stop by....

thanks again in advance for looking out!!!

Has anyone requested updates from Tesla on a relatively consistently during the production of their car?

I just received word that our car is in "detailing" and I do not know if that is before or after California Assembly. Anyone know the answer to that? It would make sense that it would be the last step before delivery...

I guess my question is has anyone been told your car is in detailing? If so, how long was it from then until you received your car?

Thanks!

I did not have the chance to get frequent updates once my car hit the States.

Tesla consistently tried to downplay the amount of time it would take from when it hit Menlo Park until I could take it home: "Anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, depending on what problems crop up..." -- but my car ended up being ready in less than a week from being delivered there. My case was probably atypical -- but they seem to really have their act together these days with installing the drive train, etc.

It seems like "Detailing" would be very very close to being ready.

"Detailing" could mean they are making up the list of details that are wrong with the Roadster and need to be fixed. You could have a long wait. :eek:
Haha, yes, that's what it could mean. But they mean it in the typical high end car wash sense. However, they do seem to like to wait for the delivery trucks to be more full. Where as the locals they want out the door ASAP to clear the space.

Last edited:
Detailing can also mean doing a little bit of minor touch up work - buffing out minor scratches, and such.

Do the gliders arrive with the correct wheels and tires? Do they have all the logos, wiper blades, etc? I think they do the audio system installs here too.

Got pictures today (thanks to a fellow member and acquaintance)...car looks great! Except it is missing the passenger panel below the door...wonder if that is off to get wires to the back for GPS or upgraded radio....Hoping there is not too much longer of a wait....

NEWDL,

So your car is in MP and not the UK? On the list you are #556 if that still holds doesn't that make you a 2010?

Yeah....not #556 now #350. :)

http://gallery.me.com/newdl/100055

web.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you're talking about the door sill. If so, they put those in at the last possible moment to keep them from getting scuffed. It takes the techs literally seconds to install them. (Believe it or not, they're held with velcro.)

Sweet!!! I like hearing that...

Has anyone tried to cover those door sills with a 3M material to stop scuffing? I think it is going to either be that solution or having CF made...

Not only are the door sills extremely easy to scuff, but they're actually very fragile! I found this out the hard way when I tried to peel one back to show a friend how they're velcro'ed on, and with only a slight amount of pressure, the door sill cracked! Turns out it's some foam material, covered on top with plastic. From the underside, you can indent it with a fingernail.

I think a full carbon-fiber door sill would be overkill (and expensive), but plastic with a thin carbon-fiber cosmetic layer on top would look just as good and probably be a lot cheaper. Al & Ed's quoted me $2500 for the pair of full carbon-fiber door sills.

That's strange, I could have sworn that it was mentioned on the offical Tesla forums that Al & Ed's would replicate the CF door sills they made for an exisiting car for something like $600 for the pair. $2,500 is really expensive.

What I really don't understand is why people have the impression that CF will prevent scuffs. I know from experience that the clearcoat scuffs like crazy and CF does NOT wear any better than many other possibilities, although it looks reasonably decent even when it wears.

Do the gliders arrive with the correct wheels and tires?

My black wheels are still waiting to find me...

As for the door sills, I'm thinking that even if clear-coat CF scuffs as well, at least with the clear coat they can be polished out. Right now, it seems clear the plastic door sills are going to need to be replaced in about a year, even with weekend cleaning / babying.