Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ProClip mount: any Model S Owner in/near Madison, WI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mitch, I'd think the center mount clip would make more sense to the left side of the screen (assuming you're not trying to make it accessible to the passenger). Is there a reason this wouldn't be the case? I like it lower so if I have it charging the cable isn't draped all the way from the vent.

Bill

Sure, the vent clip is the one I'll use most of the time, but I figured I would try both. I also have an old blackberry (for work), was thinking about getting a holder for it, possibly. I had a %15 off coupon, plus with the quick change adapters they have, you can move the mounts between vehicles, or even different mounts (as you can see). I only have 1 iPhone mount, I can put it in either position, or move it to my old 1994 Suburban when I'm using it (rarely, just plowing in the winter or moving stuff around)

ProClip is not inexpensive, but it is the most versatile system out their, look how quickly they designed the Model S mounts.. These where $30 each, plus you have to add in shipping & tax

FYI, the mount on the center screen only clips on, and can easily be removed or repositioned (but the far right is the only place where the device wouldn't block some part of the touch screen), the vent mount has adhesive that sticks to the vent, so not as easily moved around.

Last edited:
Mitch, I'd think the center mount clip would make more sense to the left side of the screen (assuming you're not trying to make it accessible to the passenger). Is there a reason this wouldn't be the case? I like it lower so if I have it charging the cable isn't draped all the way from the vent.

Bill

I've been really enjoying the angled mount clip in it's intended position on the bottom right of the center screen. I've had if for about 2-3 weeks now, and it's a pretty natural position to reach my right hand over to it. I can easily use Siri on my iPhone via the car's bluetooth and do many commands such as phone calls and text messages by voice will driving and keeping my eyes on the road.

Having it on the left side would put it behind the lower right portion of the steering wheel and make it harder to reach and see. I would imagine my right knee hitting it all the time as well.

The only control that's a bit obscured by the center mount in the lower right is the audio volume when trying to reach it from the passenger seat.

I've been a big fan of Proclip for the past 6 or 7 years, so all I needed was the Tesla mount and I just moved my phone mount portions over from previous.

Last edited:
Seems it would be hard to permanently wire the connector cable for the vent mount. I prefer ProClip's device holders that automatically connect power when you drop the phone in...

Do you just dangle a USB wire that connects to the ports under the arm rest?

First, I wish that Tesla had put a USB port somewhere on the panel side of the interior as well. Second, I wish Pro-Clip had come up with at least one option that mounted on the arm-rest side of the interior. This is how mine is mounted, and as you can see, the white cord is rather unsightly. I plan on getting the center console when available and at that point I will route the cable better. In the meantime, my only option would be to get an extension to the cable I have here and route along the carpet edge to the two ports in the arm rest. Not ideal either way.

o800b.jpg

You can probably take apart the area, it's likely the USB cables come from the center screen area, so you would just route them back to there. I don't think it's a big deal to have the USB cable visible for now.

Agree that it's not a big deal to have it visible for the time being. The thought of locating the USB source is interesting though. I was actually under the assumption that the processor for the screen and the associated electronics were all mounted in the arm rest. Not sure why, but that would have been my design choice anyway to make upgrades etc. easier. Is that processor located on the dash side instead you think?

Is the ProClip that mounts underneath the TouchScreen easily removable? Please let me know. I"m also concerned if there is any risk to the touchscreen by putting it in the recommended slot underneath it. Thanks.

Yes, so easily removable that it sometimes falls off. It clips to the trim piece, so there's little risk to the touchscreen itself.
I think the vent mount is superior, it's easier to glance at without taking your eyes of the road, and it's closer and easier to reach as well (I have both, so this is from trying both mounts)

Unfortunately, when I went to remove it after I did not like the position, it scratched the metal frame underneath the touchscreen. What is the proper way of removing without damaging/scratching? Bummer!
As a follow up, I called ProClip and they suggested that if the Mount was too tight, to simply remove the spacers (i.e., black pieces of tape on the inside). Once I did that, I was able to re-install it easily and even move it with minimal effort sideways.
So, if you are planning on buying one, my suggestion is to remove the spacers before installing it.
Regardless, I would still appreciate any suggestions on the removal process.

Last edited:
Mine has the black tape on it, and that keeps it from sliding left and right. The problem I have with that mount is, it keeps falling off, so I really don't even use it, I mostly use the vent mount shown in the pictures I posted, that one is solid and does not remove easily. To remove the center screen clip, seems like any downward pressure and it just falls off.

Except my ProClip holder requires the lightening end of the cable to be an exact match to the original Apple one .. all the extension cables I've seen have a larger lightening end and won't fit into the slot in the ProClip holder :-( *Sigh*

I might have to switch out my holder for one of these (but I'm concerned even my very small case won't work):

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...el-and-usb-cigarette-lighte-521501-19045.cmsv

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...vel-and-straight-power-cord-527501-19045.cmsv

I can appreciate the convenience and safety aspects however IMHO the mounts are quite ugly and ruin the flow of lovely IP. My current car (CT200H) has a built in smartphone holder, will have to think of a more elegant solution once I buy the S in 2014.