Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Procedure for buying a used car in Ca if you are out of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't get a good answer to this question on the internet.

I live in Az so it would be fairly simple to fly over to Ca and purchase a Tesla and drive it back.

My last Tesla I bot used in Texas. It was simple. Plate stayed with the car. He signed off the title and I drove it home, went to DMV and had the car registered in Az and got my Az plates.

I did not have to pay sales tax in Az OR Texas. Az exempts private vehicle purchases from sales tax.

However, I have no idea how it goes in Ca. Can the owner just sign of the title and I drive it off after paying???

I'm concerned that Ca will require me to pay sales tax before leaving the state. That is the case with a CPO Tesla purchased in Ca but I don't know about a private party sale.

Does the Ca plate stay on the car after title is signed off??? Or is it like Az where the plate stays with the prior owner??

In Az the buyer has to get a temporary plate from the DMV.

If that's the case in Ca then the state may hit me up for sales tax when I get the temporary plate.

Anyone know the details.
Thx,
George

I can't get a good answer to this question on the internet.

I live in Az so it would be fairly simple to fly over to Ca and purchase a Tesla and drive it back.

My last Tesla I bot used in Texas. It was simple. Plate stayed with the car. He signed off the title and I drove it home, went to DMV and had the car registered in Az and got my Az plates.

I did not have to pay sales tax in Az OR Texas. Az exempts private vehicle purchases from sales tax.

However, I have no idea how it goes in Ca? Can the owner just sign of the title and I drive it off after paying???

I'm concerned that Ca will require me to pay sales tax before leaving the state. That is the case with a CPO Tesla in Ca but I don't know about a private party sale.

Does the Ca plate stay on the car after title is signed off??? Or is it like Az where the plate stays with the prior owner??

In Az the buyer has to get a temporary plate from the DMV.

If that's the case in Ca then the state may hit me up for sales tax when I get the temporary plate.

Anyone know the details.
Thx,
George

The seller in a private party sale in California is not responsible for collecting sales tax on the sale. The buyer pays for it when the car is registered... so, I assume (but check with advisors) that a purchase in California that's does not get registered in California could bypass California taxes... retailers of any kind are responsible for collecting the taxes, however... so, if you buy from a dealer and you're taking delivery in a california and don't have an address in California, I assume that the dealer will charge you the tax in their address (again check with advisors)

The seller in a private party sale in California is not responsible for collecting sales tax on the sale. The buyer pays for it when the car is registered... so, I assume (but check with advisors) that a purchase in California that's does not get registered in California could bypass California taxes... retailers of any kind are responsible for collecting the taxes, however... so, if you buy from a dealer and you're taking delivery in a california and don't have an address in California, I assume that the dealer will charge you the tax in their address (again check with advisors)

Thx. just curious if you live in Ca and perhaps you have gone thru this.

It would be a private party sale.What happens to the car's Ca license plate. Does it stay on the car? If not how do I get a temporary plate?

If you buy from a private party, you can drive the car to AZ and turn the plates in there with the bill of sale, and signed title. Each state is different, but California requires you to register the car and obtain Drivers Lic. in CA once a residence is established here within 14 days.

@Lloyd, @AEdennis

That's seems pretty simple then. Same as buying in Texas.
Here in AZ it's a bit of a PITA as Notary is required plus the plate does not stay with the car. A temp plate is required but can be had fairly easily over the internet. Az does this so the previous owners liability is over when the car leaves his driveway. People were getting in accidents with the old owners plate before the reg is changed and causing headaches for the previous owner.