Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with my mobile connector since day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my SR+ for 3 days and I have a problem with my mobile connector since day 1. My car has a reduced charging speed of 8A at 240V, the car tells me to check the adapter attached to the mobile connector. I removed and reattached the adapter many times, and it'll always give me 5 red flashes. At first, I thought it is my electric circuit, but after reading the mobile connector manual, it says 5 red flashes mean "Charging current is reduced due to a detected fault in the adapter. Make sure the Mobile Connector’s adapter is attached properly." I have made sure the adapter is attached properly. The 110V adapter works fine without error. I am guessing the mobile connector or the adapter might be faulty.

I did create a service request ticket, but it'll take a whole week. Is this the right way to approach the problem? Or can I just march into Tesla shop and ask to test that connector? i do not have another 240V outlet to test, what would you have done?

Some of this has already been suggested, but to wrap it up into one procedure, I suggest:

1. Try with the NEMA 5-15 (120v wall outlet) plug.
    • If this works, then the problem is either in your NEMA 14-50 connector or in your 240v circuit in your house.
    • If this does not work, then the problem is in your Mobile Connector, in your house's wiring (breaker panel, flaky power coming to the house, etc.), or maybe in the car.
  2. Try at another location entirely -- a local business or friend with an exterior 120v outlet that'll let you plug in for a few minutes, an RV park with NEMA 14-50 connectors, a Tesla store, etc.
    • If this works but the same type of connector didn't work at home, then that means your Mobile Connector is most likely OK and you need to have an electrician check out your home's wiring.
    • If it doesn't work, then the problem is almost certainly with the Mobile Connector, or maybe the car.
  3. Try a public J1772 station. This will likely charge at 220v x 30 amps or thereabouts.
    • If it works, you can pretty much rule out the car as the problem.
    • If it fails, and all the above tests also failed, then the car most likely needs service. It's conceivable that a SuperCharger would still work, but this level of failure should be dealt with immediately, since an inability to charge obviously means you won't be able to drive for far without needing a tow.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am wondering if another possibility is that you have a bad charge port.

This sounds to me like the behavior if the car can’t successfully lock the connector into the car. So it is willing to charge at a full rate of 12a if just 120v, but on 240v circuits it keeps the rate down to 8 amps in order to reduce the arc flash hazard in case you pulled it out under load.

If it was a site wiring issue I would expect it to not charge at all or to reduce the charge rate after starting charging. It sounds like it is reducing the rate immediately which sounds to me like an issue with the locking mechanism or sensors.

Sorry for the issue! Good luck and please report back on the solution!

I went to Tesla SC twice today. First time I was there, a tesla rep tested my whole set and verified that it is faulty, and gave me a new set. I went home. Same 5 red flashes (meaning the adapter continue to have problem), so I went back to Tesla again. I saw the same guy and told him that I am seeing the same problem and question him if he have given me a new adapter. He said he gave me a new set, I asked "are you sure? because the adapter looks dirty and they didn't look new". He pointed to the mobile connector and assure me it is new, and then he continued, "the only thing that is not new is the bag and the two adapters". I then told him "You asked me if the 115v adapter is working, so there is a high chance of 240v adapter is the problematic adapter". There seemed to be a light bulb moment shown on his face. He went back and got me a new 240v adapter, and I asked him to show me that the whole set is working. He walked me to a 240v outlet and we tested it together that the new adapter does show TESLA as all green. He then try again with the old bad adapter the T is again flashing red 5 times in a row.

Come back home now, and I am charging at 32A or 32mi/hr

Thanks for all your help. I do understand some of you point out that it could be the NEMA outlet, I guess if there are two hots, if one hot is disconnected, it might half make sense that tesla will flag the problem as an adapter problem, but that a stretch. However, before I post on this message board, I have opened up the NEMA outlet and tighten up all 3 wires.

So, in this case, the error message was on point, "check your adapter" really meant there is a problem with the adapter.

I then told him "You asked me if the 115v adapter is working, so there is a high chance of 240v adapter is the problematic adapter".

There seemed to be a light bulb moment shown on his face. He went back and got me a new 240v adapter,
and I asked him to show me that the whole set is working.
He walked me to a 240v outlet and we tested it together that the new adapter does show TESLA as all green.
He then try again with the old bad adapter the T is again flashing red 5 times in a row.

Come back home now, and I am charging at 32A or 32mi/hr

So, in this case, the error message was on point, "check your adapter" really meant there is a problem with the adapter.
Thank you for the great story and happy ending.

Did you put a "Not working" label on the adapter?
I would not be surprised that he just put the adapter back into the Tesla bag :)

In my case I'm using the 30 Amp adapters.
I realize that I never tested the 50 A adaptors!
I should check if they are working.