Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Negotiation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I signed my lease last Wednesday, there were only 6 demo 2.0 Roadtsers left. The way my deal worked was Tesla discounted the entire Sport Upgrade ($19.5k), an additional $10k, plus $1 for every mile on the odometer ($4.5k), for a $34k total discount. The discount doesn't include the $5k CARB rebate and the $7.5k federal tax incentive, which can only be taken advantage of if I were to buy the car at the end of the lease. The same 3 year/36k miles new car warranty applied to my lease.
The $5k CARB rebate is actually available to lessees :) And you don't wait until you buy out the lease. But you have to have the car registered in California for 3 years minimum. So ... enjouy an extra $5k ! See here. You should apply immediately :)

In negotiating for a demonstrator, you might want to try to get Tesla to perform an annual service immediately before delivery. The normal charge for the service is $995, but the value to you may be much higher if you are located at a distance from a Tesla service facility.

Yes, Tesla came up with the $1000 charge and Elon overrode it to the now $600. Just 18 more services and it makes up for the $7,200 he added to our car after we already had a down payment and contract.

Regarding price negotiation, when you buy a Roadster you are buying directly from the manufacturer, not some independent middleman who can adjust margins to take customers from other independent dealers. Tesla prices aren't MSRP numbers padded to allow margins for dealer profits and competition. Also Tesla doesn't have some backlog of inventory they need to get rid of by the end of the month.

For the same reason, you are also a lot less likely to have to deal with a slimy know-nothing sales drone who is just trying to stuff you into a car and send you on your way.

If you're walking into a Tesla store, you should think of it more like an Apple store than a car dealership: smart sales people who are knowledgeable instead of pushy and don't expect wiggle room on pricing.

This is what Im hoping for with Tesla. One of the worst parts of buying a car is haggling with dirtbag salesmen. I hope they do make it to an experience similar to going to buy an ipod or a laptop. You go in, you know what you want, and thats it. No hidden fees, the price is the price.

Everything I've heard from Tesla has made me a fan of the company. I really think they'll change the entire auto industry.