Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Presentation: Bringing The Sun Country Electric Highway To The US!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultimately it's Kent's call, to further the issue, it appears that some Leaf's charge on the CS 100's, some don't. the 2012 and 2013 do not work on my unit here at the house, it's being swapped out for a 70A unit. the simplest thing at this point will be to go with the 70A for phase 1 in WA state, which is the core of the Sun Country Highway in Canada, they have a proven track record of working with everything. 100's will be added as well.

No, it doesn't. It's a bone simple modification. Switch, placard for switch, wires to circuit board to adjust 1kHz pilot signal pulse wave modulation... see, simple!

- - - Updated - - -

Except you don't have any control over if/when will "fix" a car that they don't even build any more, and that doesn't really need fixing (there certainly is no guarantee when the car was sold that it would work above 70 amps).

Hence, the switch on the CS-100.

My CS-90 office charger was a "beta test" site for the upgrade to full 80A. They sent me a new cable/J1772 paddle, which has a higher rating, and a new circuit card. Swapped both and instantly had a CS-100. Worked perfectly.

For field upgrading, it's probably not necessary to actually swap the card. Clipper Creek can reprogram the firmware in the card, but it requires a special tool. Once the Roadster problem is solved, someone could perhaps drive around the state flashing the firmware in chargers.

Who gave you this choice at Clipper Creek? When I asked, I was told by Amanda who checked with their production manager that Clipper Creek would not build the CS-100 with a 70/80A switch.

Will.

- - - Updated - - -

From the Chevy Spark EV Forum:

"see if there was a plug available at/near work, or a charger near your home. I live within a mile of one of the Central Coast Rabobank chargers, and I've just been driving over there just before bed when low, leaving the Spark charging there overnight and riding my bike back home."

This is, and will be, the ongoing problem with "free". It will become more prevalent as more and more low cost CARB compliance vehicles are produced, although I'm sure there problem isn't relegated to just the lower economic folks :crying:

IN CALIFORNIA, I RECOMMEND THAT THEY BE PLACARDED IN ACCORDANCE WITH "CVC 22511", that allows towing for vehicles not charging.

Yeah, the issue of parking vs charging is an important one (to maximize the EVSE utilization). The problem is that some states need modifications to the current laws to allow ticketing/towing. In some states, people drafting the EV charging laws didn't think that EVs could be a problem too. However, I think some simple changes can help here for the free chargers - a time limit for free parking may be enough to discourage the freeloaders. Blink and chargepoint stations don't have this problem - even $1/hr is enough to discourage that kind of behavior. (yes, I understand that the goal is not to set up a charging system) I'm not sure how strong the threat of a ticket or private towing is but it should help a fair amount.

And yes, even the wealthy are attracted by "free".

Ha, while I largely agree with you smorgasbord on your twin charger thoughts, it will be nice to finally put those twin chargers to use that I added before knowing we'd have SCs here in the NW so soon.
Well, I'm quite pleased that I have the twins, and have used them several times at Roadster HPCs. Too bad that Tesla now bundles the twin chargers with their HPWC which, in my opinion, most folks do not need. However, I understand that on request, they will unbundle.

And, those twins are quite useful in Canada.

I would love to see Sun Country extend its reach southward from the Montreal area into northern New England and northern New York:
  • Down the 15 and I-87 to Albany and thence NYC;
  • Down the 55 and I-91 to St. Johnsbury, White River Jct, and Brattleboro
    • With a fork down I-93 and over to North Conway (a big tourist area, and connects over to Maine)
    • And continuing down I-93 to Boston

Tesla's SC network is eventually supposed to cover some of this ground, but more coverage now, before ski season arrives, would be great.

> (to maximize the EVSE utilization) [PhilBa]

2 EVSE serving 12+ parking spots. If charging is completed (EVSE stops blinking) you can unplug that car & plug your car in. If these EVSE are out in middle of parking field lazy ICEers will not bother much. 4 safety pilons per EVSE. Room for everyone!!

2evse=12spots.jpg

You may think so, but none of this is really Rocket Science.

I would love to see Sun Country extend its reach southward from the Montreal area into northern New England and northern New York:
  • Down the 15 and I-87 to Albany and thence NYC;
  • Down the 55 and I-91 to St. Johnsbury, White River Jct, and Brattleboro
    • With a fork down I-93 and over to North Conway (a big tourist area, and connects over to Maine)
    • And continuing down I-93 to Boston

Tesla's SC network is eventually supposed to cover some of this ground, but more coverage now, before ski season arrives, would be great.

I agree! This would convince me to get a second charger installed in my car....

Aaron