Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware that video and sound do NOT work in the Model 3 web browser (at least not yet).

I'm guessing that's because they (shockingly to me) let you use the browser while driving, and they don't want to offer a distraction to the driver of a video (with sound).

The hinted-at-by-Elon-on-twitter Netflix feature sounded like it would be for only when you are in park.

I'm fine with no sound/video on the browser actually ... I just want live traffic visualization. I could probably leave the satellite view maps... but maybe once in a while in an area you don't know it might come in slightly handy.

Browser? I have that on my phone, so...

Looks like Premium Connectivity is not needed for Netflix/Youtube. I speculated that it would probably be an app and looks like that is what it is.

Tesla V10: first look at the update and new features - Electrek

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 2.09.30 PM.png

Last edited:
i just got my Model 3 SR+ yesterday so i'm learning a few things. i noticed there is no web browser, i am assuming because i just have the partial premium interior that does not include premium connectivity. question is now - is there a way for me to purchase premium connectivity? according to this page it sounds like it was supposed to be an option but i couldn't seem to figure out how to do it from the screen. don't really need a web browser but i would like the satellite with the navigation etc and other things.

So my car was delivered exactly 1 year ago YESTERDAY and when I got in the car, I realized my music wasn't working. The LTE icon was showing but the music wasn't playing and a little circle at the bottom of the screen just kept circling. I figured out quickly it was my car's 1 year birthday and likely my Slacker subscription had ended. Super annoying that I hadn't received any advance notice on this. The real question is... do I just pay for 1 year of Slacker for $30 or do I need to find somewhere how to pay for the $100 premium connectivity for year? Tesla's communication with updates and things like this is quite poor! How hard would it be to send email notifications when updates are coming, include the notes, let us know subscriptions are expiring, how to renew etc... HELP!

....The real question is... do I just pay for 1 year of Slacker for $30 or do I need to find somewhere how to pay for the $100 premium connectivity for year?...
You will need to pay for Slacker. There is no Premium Connectivity for a year and likely never will be since it was supposed to start in July. Also this wasn't for SR+. Tesla just said they would offer a Plan for that later. Looks like that is all outdated info as this time and nothing came to fruition.

You will need to pay for Slacker. There is no Premium Connectivity for a year and likely never will be since it was supposed to start in July. Also this wasn't for SR+. Tesla just said they would offer a Plan for that later. Looks like that is all outdated info as this time and nothing came to fruition.

Likely NEVER will be? LOL. I thought this feature was coming in v10. Are you saying v10 will never come out? (possible :D)

If you are thinking about Netflix and YouTube that will be Apps and shouldn't require Premium Connectivity for SR+ owners.

No, that was just posted above too (EDIT: almost said 'someone' posted it, LOL - it was you. I already read the posts on this thread today :))

I'm thinking about all the talk of premium connectivity being reported to be available "later" and someone said the SC told them this Sept/Oct? ... someone else mentioned it would be in v10. It might not be in 10.0, but I suspect it would be in v10 and not expect premium connectivity purchase to come in a v9 patch release at all.

So my car was delivered exactly 1 year ago YESTERDAY and when I got in the car, I realized my music wasn't working. The LTE icon was showing but the music wasn't playing and a little circle at the bottom of the screen just kept circling. I figured out quickly it was my car's 1 year birthday and likely my Slacker subscription had ended. Super annoying that I hadn't received any advance notice on this. The real question is... do I just pay for 1 year of Slacker for $30 or do I need to find somewhere how to pay for the $100 premium connectivity for year? Tesla's communication with updates and things like this is quite poor! How hard would it be to send email notifications when updates are coming, include the notes, let us know subscriptions are expiring, how to renew etc... HELP!

I don't think slacker runs out after 1 year yet, so I think it is a coincidence and is just down for you.

There is no reason for Premium Connectivity option to be shown in the current V10 previews......all the early access people already have the Premium features so why would it show up for them to purchase.
This is actually an interesting point. I hope you're right as I wanted to buy the premium interior with my standard range plus, but it wasn't an option. Annoying since all the software and most of the hardware minus the sub is there. However I think this will likely be something that doesn't make it into V10, as hopeful as I am.

This is actually an interesting point. I hope you're right as I wanted to buy the premium interior with my standard range plus, but it wasn't an option. Annoying since all the software and most of the hardware minus the sub is there. However I think this will likely be something that doesn't make it into V10, as hopeful as I am.
Just to make sure, this isn't about the Premium INTERIOR, it is about Premium CONNECTIVITY. While there are speakers physically present in the car that are not hooked up, a software update will not activate them - they are not wired up. You can read many threads here about how to do this (separate from any software update) such as this recent one.

Also with Premium Interior, you get LED fog lamps, which I am not sure what those have to do with the interior. :confused:

Premium Connectivity includes this (per the ordering page):
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
    • Internet browser

Just to make sure, this isn't about the Premium INTERIOR, it is about Premium CONNECTIVITY. While there are speakers physically present in the car that are not hooked up, a software update will not activate them - they are not wired up. You can read many threads here about how to do this (separate from any software update) such as this recent one.

Also with Premium Interior, you get LED fog lamps, which I am not sure what those have to do with the interior. :confused:

Premium Connectivity includes this (per the ordering page):
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
    • Internet browser
Oh I'm aware about the differences between premium interior and premium connectivity. It's really the connectivity I want, and I want my rear seat heaters back, I never used them in the first week I had the car (it came with them activated), but maybe one day I'd find a use, if I could buy them back from Tesla hahaha. I'm currently in the process of sourcing an OEM sub to get the sound system upgrade going, so that I'm gonna do solo! As for fog lamps, I have those already, they came with my SR+ and so far Tesla hasn't taken them away :D

I don't think it's a coincidence. Once I paid for the year ($30), it had me log into Slacker and voila... music!

Sorry to inform you that you probably didn't need to pay Slacker that $30 to get Slacker to work in your car. There was a Tesla/Slacker issue causing Slacker not playing/ requiring login in some cars (not limited to Model 3) between 9/14 night and 9/16 afternoon (search the forum for 'Is slacker down?' for a discussion thread on that). Given the timestamp of your message, if you could have waited just a couple more hours, Slacker would have working again for you without paying anything.

Unless you like the extra features the $30 Slacker account provides, you might want to cancel that if it's still within the 'free-trial' period.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Hey! It's not quite purchasing premium connectivity, but from the new Tesla blog post:

"To take advantage of the advanced media features in Software Version 10.0, we are also enabling browser access on all Model 3 Standard Range Plus and Standard Range vehicles. The update will also enable streaming media access to Spotify, TuneIn, and Slacker while parked and connected to WiFi for these cars."

Hey! It's not quite purchasing premium connectivity, but from the new Tesla blog post:

"To take advantage of the advanced media features in Software Version 10.0, we are also enabling browser access on all Model 3 Standard Range Plus and Standard Range vehicles. The update will also enable streaming media access to Spotify, TuneIn, and Slacker while parked and connected to WiFi for these cars."

Only while on wifi? What's the point. I doubt many people desire to listen to Spotify while parked in their driveway. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Reactions: malou

I'm just hoping that's a useable feature haha. "Parked and connected to wifi" isn't generally how I drive to work :p

Only while on wifi? What's the point. I doubt many people desire to listen to Spotify while parked in their driveway. Better than nothing, I suppose.

They're rolling out wifi networks to Superchargers.

But the real news is that there's no longer any software difference between partial premium and premium interiors. All they need to do to sell a premium connectivity subscription is switch the LTE on...

Reactions: Kuroshio