Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning at different locations! Figured it out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Just a tidbit of info I FINALLY figured out for our 2022 M3LR with regards to preconditioning/climate/schedule things.

Since we purchased our car we have had tons of success with the preconditioning for setting the cabin temperature at home. What we could never figure out is how to do it in another location.

Sitting at home I "checked in" on the car while my wife was at work and setup a "Schedule" in the app....the same as when we did this at our home.

Well, what do you know! It worked! So now when my wife leaves from home, she has a toasty car (already experiencing the joy of that)...but then when she returns home from work, I set up ANOTHER "schedule" while she was parked there (from the app).

Guess what...it works! This is a GAME CHANGER for us!

Probably not news to most folks, but for the life of us we simply could not figure it out. Now (since our temps didn't get above the single digits Fahrenheit for us the past couple of days)...she arrived to a toasty car! What is even better is that in the heat of the summer, she can have the car cooled off!

Over the past few days this has worked flawlessly. Again.....probably something more savvy owners know but for us this was eye opening!

Just thought I would pass this on!

Mike :)

Err, sorry I'm not following. Why did you need to set schedules to accomplish this? You both can simply use the Tesla mobile app to turn on (and adjust the temperature for) the car's HVAC system (Climate setting) a few minutes before you leave, from anywhere.

(Not trying to be rude, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something)

Err, sorry I'm not following. Why did you need to set schedules to accomplish this? You both can simply use the Tesla mobile app to turn on (and adjust the temperature for) the car's HVAC system (Climate setting) a few minutes before you leave, from anywhere.

(Not trying to be rude, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something)
I do not take it as rude whatsoever!

Taking the time to leave in the AM means we do not have to open up the app and the car is ready to go!

Taking time for my wife to leave her work means she needs to open up the app as well. BUT, when she is carry things and leaves at the same time every day, it is simply nice to have her enter a car WITHOUT having to think about it.

Definitely a "first world problem" but it is super nice for her not to take that one step after a hectic day to simply get into a car that is already at a predetermined temperature. In the SUPER COLD...it can take quite some time to precondition....not a "few minutes" before she leaves. When work is done and her patients are gone...she wants to just leave. So it is nice to have the car setup so she can be nice and warm! In the summertime, it is also nice to have it be able to cool it down automatically so she doesn't have to mess with a phone.

Hi Folks,

Just a tidbit of info I FINALLY figured out for our 2022 M3LR with regards to preconditioning/climate/schedule things.

Since we purchased our car we have had tons of success with the preconditioning for setting the cabin temperature at home. What we could never figure out is how to do it in another location.

Sitting at home I "checked in" on the car while my wife was at work and setup a "Schedule" in the app....the same as when we did this at our home.

Well, what do you know! It worked! So now when my wife leaves from home, she has a toasty car (already experiencing the joy of that)...but then when she returns home from work, I set up ANOTHER "schedule" while she was parked there (from the app).

Guess what...it works! This is a GAME CHANGER for us!

Probably not news to most folks, but for the life of us we simply could not figure it out. Now (since our temps didn't get above the single digits Fahrenheit for us the past couple of days)...she arrived to a toasty car! What is even better is that in the heat of the summer, she can have the car cooled off!

Over the past few days this has worked flawlessly. Again.....probably something more savvy owners know but for us this was eye opening!

Just thought I would pass this on!

Mike :)
Thanks @ColoradoMike I had not done this before, but set-up my wife's Model Y to precondition for her at work also. Happy Wife, Happy Life

Thanks @ColoradoMike I had not done this before, but set-up my wife's Model Y to precondition for her at work also. Happy Wife, Happy Life
Yeah it took us both a couple months...well just this month for me looking into this to make it work.

For us it wasn't too obvious but it definitely works! From -10^F at start a couple days ago to 0^F it was super easy to set up the schedule. What I used to do was simply set an alarm to set the climate for my wife and let it go. That worked. HOWEVER, making it pretty damn close to when she is ready to go "automatically" is a simple presses in the app. Not sure how it is done in the car but either way it is great to have a car setup for her to drive!

The added benefit is that I "believe" that the regen braking will work better in colder temperatures. I haven't tested it myself but my wife has noticed this past week. :)

Reactions: 804son
I do not take it as rude whatsoever!

Taking the time to leave in the AM means we do not have to open up the app and the car is ready to go!

Taking time for my wife to leave her work means she needs to open up the app as well. BUT, when she is carry things and leaves at the same time every day, it is simply nice to have her enter a car WITHOUT having to think about it.

Definitely a "first world problem" but it is super nice for her not to take that one step after a hectic day to simply get into a car that is already at a predetermined temperature. In the SUPER COLD...it can take quite some time to precondition....not a "few minutes" before she leaves. When work is done and her patients are gone...she wants to just leave. So it is nice to have the car setup so she can be nice and warm! In the summertime, it is also nice to have it be able to cool it down automatically so she doesn't have to mess with a phone.

Got it, totally makes sense! Thank you for taking the time to explain :)

I have mine set to leave for work at 6:00 am then to be ready at 4:30 for the drive home. Wish I could set it for 12 also since I go home every day for lunch (it's only a 1.2 mile trip) but I can't see a way to set multiple times at the same location. Minor problem but it would be nice.

I'm retired so I don't have a fixed time of day when I drive the car. I do schedule the car to pre-heat the cabin and battery in really cold weather, but. I sometimes forget to cancel it and have gone several days with the car heating and conditioning the battery before I remember to turn that feature off. As a result I wish Tesla would build into the app a "one time only" pre-condition feature

I'm retired so I don't have a fixed time of day when I drive the car. I do schedule the car to pre-heat the cabin and battery in really cold weather, but. I sometimes forget to cancel it and have gone several days with the car heating and conditioning the battery before I remember to turn that feature off. As a result I wish Tesla would build into the app a "one time only" pre-condition feature

You can do what I mentioned in the second post - use the Tesla mobile app to turn on (and adjust the temperature for) the car's HVAC system (Climate setting) from anywhere. You'll get a notification on your phone when the car's cabin has reached the set temperature which can be used as a reminder that you've done this.

I would rather be retired:)

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Sambub and launchd
It may but you are paying for a subscription and you still have to pass on your Tesla info to a third party app. Not for me.
Not if you buy it out :)

I too prefer to not share my data, but that is for the million stupid websites, applications and other things out there. Tesla is already a "third party" to me and collecting the info. Given the value received by the Tessie app I find it acceptable and OK.

But yes, blindly sharing the info is silly.

What’s the concern here? Tesla info being shared? Or just personal info being shared in general?

Also, I like the original post. Very informative. Appreciate it.
Not a big fan of passing out my vehicle info to a third party. You are welcome for the post :)
Only one schedule per location?

Or can you do two schedules per location, like home?
I could only figure out to schedule it once per location so I have one set for our home and another set for my wifes work location. I did not add it as "work" but rather when she parked in her parking space at work I simply set up the schedule while she was working from my phone. Worked like a champ!