Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am planning on getting my black Model S wrapped in XPEL Stealth. Does anyone know which parts of the car are not wrapped in PPF? I am doing the whole car and was told that they do not wrap the door handles or the cameras on the fender. I assume they also don't wrap the black applique on the rear with the "TESLA" logo.

They are also suggesting ceramic coating everything. Is the main benefit of that just the hydrophobic property? Won't the PPF be enough protection?

Thanks in advance!

Varies by installer. I'll have to double check when I next get into the car, but on my MSP I don't believe the camera housings or the door handles are wrapped. I also don't think he wrapped the black applique in the rear or the lower rear valence. Inside the door handles and the mirror covers are wrapped, as is my rear spoiler. I'll need to redo the mirrors because I pulled the PPF off to install carbon mirror caps. Ceramic coating is optional, but does the same thing for your wrap that it would do for paint: makes stuff stick less. While the PPF is there to protect your paint and is fairly hardy enough to protect against most of the stuff floating around that will try and stick to the wrap, the ceramic coating makes it even more impervious to stuff adhering to the wrap.

I saw a diagram of what is covered on either xpels site or the installer

Btw, for anyone thinking about PPF and ceramic, I had all Xpel tint, PPF and ceramic professionally done on my MYP and very happy

Advice if you have funds limits:

Tint do professionally, never DIY
PPF do professionally, never DIY

(Recently tired to install PPF pieces on my other T, rockers and trunk edge, and it was a nightmare)

Ceramic you can do DIY, in fact easier than the old waxing days assuming you are starting with perfect and new paint surface, just purchased the vehicle
Get comfortable and have a wheelie stool, work standing up for the upper surfaces and get down low/wheelie for the lower surfaces, wipe on and buff off, wait two hours and repeat. Also repeat every six months
Not sure if you have to pay $100+ per bottle
Buy $20 and $100 and see for yourself

As for Xpel, one of the best in the industry

I used to be a big fan of Xpel until they changed their warranty this year. If I were to use some other ceramic coating other than theirs, they can void the warranty. That was a deal breaker for me as their ceramic coating is mediocre at best. They are locking you into their ecosystem. They changed several things in their warranty I think in about March of this year.

13. Use of non-XPEL branded ceramic coatings;

I used to be a big fan of Xpel until they changed their warranty this year. If I were to use some other ceramic coating other than theirs, they can void the warranty. That was a deal breaker for me as their ceramic coating is mediocre at best. They are locking you into their ecosystem. They changed several things in their warranty I think in about March of this year.

Thanks for that update, I did not know

I saw that too. I'm not sure how they would know if you used one or not. I plan on using just a detail spray with ceramic properties. I think this may be a way Xpel to have detailers apply their product when the PPF gets installed.

Reactions: kpanda17