Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Lease Return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering leasing a Y and outside of the question of whether it's a waste of money to PPF a lease car (we can save that debate for another day). Does anybody know if you have to remove any PPF when you return a lease to Tesla? First-hand experience would be great!

Thank You

Yes, it’s a waste to PPF a leased car. It’s not your car, so protecting it is a waste of money.
Technically you would have to remove PPF prior to returning the car. Realistically you wouldn’t, if the PPF is done properly, no one would even notice the car had PPF.
If you want to PPF a car that doesn’t belong to you, let me know.

OP this is the full and complete answer.

Technically, they can make you remove it. If they charge you for removing it after you turn the car in, you would not have any way to dispute it, as its not how the car was delivered to you.

Realistically, they dont normally do that, but just because they dont doesnt mean they cant.

PPFing a leased Tesla is one of the silliest decisions I can think of though. With other cars, you can at least tell yourself "Im going to buy the car out at lease end" (even if you dont, or wont, you at least have the option). Since you dont have it here, you are literally doing the same thing as PPFing some rando internet strangers car because you cant buy it at the end.