Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was struggling with this problem, but initially thought it was my pc.
Just signed up to this forum as it identified the PW API issue slightly quicker than I did.
Great response to fixing it so quickly. đź‘Ź
I've had a PW2 for a month now and prefer to do everything on a pc (or RaspPi) and only resort to ios or android apps when there is no alternative, and then have to somehow get the data from that app to my pc. :mad:

Again many thanks for a great (pc) app. :)

Something happening on Tesla's end at the moment?

1713287011734.png

Hi, new member and first post. I got my PW2 installed 5 days ago and came across Powerwall Companion and this club. I am super impressed (and in a bit of awe) at the app and what it can do. It is perfect for what I want to do. Two things:
- I had a problem with the battery stats page and getting data via my IP address. On the Gateway 2 I have a TPN, a TSN and a password (10 letter all uppercase). I have 2 IP addresses and tried both with the last 5 digits of the serial number (as instructed). I tried upper case, lower case, O instead of 0, the password (upper and lower). Nothing. Frustrated. On the off-chance I entered the last 5 digits of my password and voilĂ  :D. I now have my serial number (TG123***), baseline and degradation. Something to update the instruction information?
- I get daily reports from my Fronius inverter. I use the data to estimate my future bill and to measure panel degradation (as well as performance against the supplier data). This tells me how much money I have saved vs not having the panels. I have now added to my spreadsheet the GW2 data to tell me my new future bill and how much money saved having the PW2 vs the panels vs nothing. My question (and I have not spent much time looking at this): what does the data export tell me? Is is watts/5 min interval? I add it up over a day and it does not seem to correlate with any other data. Is anybody using the data and what can you get from it? I want to automate my data rather than pencil and paper transcribing.
- A proxy for PW2 degradation (my 2 questions are (1,2,3), my 3 questions are...). Reading, it seems to me to not trust Tesla having the degradation data always available. I was thinking of using the usage data over night (from 100% to 30% supplying x kwhr) as a proxy for degradation%. Has anyone done that?

Sorry for the long post, really appreciate reading everyone's posts. It has been extremely helpful to me.

Glenn (Melbourne, Australia)

Hi, new member and first post. I got my PW2 installed 5 days ago and came across Powerwall Companion and this club. I am super impressed (and in a bit of awe) at the app and what it can do. It is perfect for what I want to do. Two things:
- I had a problem with the battery stats page and getting data via my IP address. On the Gateway 2 I have a TPN, a TSN and a password (10 letter all uppercase). I have 2 IP addresses and tried both with the last 5 digits of the serial number (as instructed). I tried upper case, lower case, O instead of 0, the password (upper and lower). Nothing. Frustrated. On the off-chance I entered the last 5 digits of my password and voilĂ  :D. I now have my serial number (TG123***), baseline and degradation. Something to update the instruction information?
- I get daily reports from my Fronius inverter. I use the data to estimate my future bill and to measure panel degradation (as well as performance against the supplier data). This tells me how much money I have saved vs not having the panels. I have now added to my spreadsheet the GW2 data to tell me my new future bill and how much money saved having the PW2 vs the panels vs nothing. My question (and I have not spent much time looking at this): what does the data export tell me? Is is watts/5 min interval? I add it up over a day and it does not seem to correlate with any other data. Is anybody using the data and what can you get from it? I want to automate my data rather than pencil and paper transcribing.
- A proxy for PW2 degradation (my 2 questions are (1,2,3), my 3 questions are...). Reading, it seems to me to not trust Tesla having the degradation data always available. I was thinking of using the usage data over night (from 100% to 30% supplying x kwhr) as a proxy for degradation%. Has anyone done that?

Sorry for the long post, really appreciate reading everyone's posts. It has been extremely helpful to me.

Glenn (Melbourne, Australia)
Hey Glenn, thanks for using the app, glad you like it!
  1. Thanks, it seems there are some variations in how to connect depending on the age of the Powerwall. Mine doesn't have a dedicated password on the label, but the new ones seem to. I'll update the instructions to try to eliminate the confusion.
  2. The exported data varies depending on whether you have selected the daily view or one of the other periods. In the daily view, it shows instantaneous power (in watts) at 5 minute intervals, as you guessed. If you add up the values and divide by 12 (because there are 12 five minute in an hour) it will show you approximately the total energy in watt-hours (approximate as your usage may change between instantaneous readings). However if you want daily totals you are better off switching to the other views, as those exports show energy values in watt-hours. Previously the exported data would match the granularity of the chart, but Tesla made some changes last week resulting in more granular values. However you should still be able to sum them all up to get daily Wh or kWh totals. A few people have asked if I can munge the data to match the graphs again, which would result in data that is less granular but easier to process; I'll think about whether this is the right thing to do.
  3. For now the degradation info remains available from the gateway, but Tesla seems to be doing their best to hide this (it can't easily be obtained in a PW3). I've also considered your idea; it seems sound provided you have enough charge or discharge in a day. It may be non-linear so possibly you would need a full 0-100 charge/discharge to get an accurate figure, but I'm not really sure.
Tom (Sydney, Australia :))

@GlennAlan more on your last question: I found a day when my battery went from 0 to 100 without any recharge beyond that. It is showing a daily total of 14.04kWh charged in the battery, while the degradation page shows ~12.7kWh capacity. The difference is not enormous but it's not close enough to make this a very good proxy for degradation.

1713320916667.png

Thanks for all this, and the explanations. Yes, charging seems better as it is quicker than the discharge (which is over 2 day data downloads). My current battery charge is showing 15.17 kwhr. High, or is this because I have not been running long enough? I picked out a time period 8.30 am 16 April to full charge (12.35 pm), and the data showed 9.99 kwhr to the battery from 38% to 100%. If zero is zero, then that tells me that the full capacity is 16.11 kwhr. It does not seem right, and maybe this is not a good proxy. Or, I could do this 1-2 times a month and then compare year on year?

I also tried 14 April, 20% to full, 8am to 12.30pm and the exported data showed 12.56 kwhr, meaning full capacity would be 15.70 kwhr. It does not seem a good proxy for actual numbers, but maybe a comparison year to year will give an indication of how the PW2 is performing.

In any case very happy with it as I have not bought any electricity for 4 days now.

Picture2.png

Sorry if this was already asked and answered somewhere, but I DL'd the app from the MS Store page (btw, your original link in Post #1 doesn't work), installed it and got an "Additional Download Required" page:
1713455677132.png

I DL'd the linked file, ran it, and got this message:
1713455720344.png

Help! I'm using a Windows on ARM 11 Home 23H2, 22635.3495 and Edge beta is my default browser on v124.0.2478.39.

Thanks!

Sorry if this was already asked and answered somewhere, but I DL'd the app from the MS Store page (btw, your original link in Post #1 doesn't work), installed it and got an "Additional Download Required" page:
View attachment 1039651

I DL'd the linked file, ran it, and got this message:
View attachment 1039652

Help! I'm using a Windows on ARM 11 Home 23H2, 22635.3495 and Edge beta is my default browser on v124.0.2478.39.

Thanks!
Thanks for the report, I haven't heard about this before. I'll need to look into it. I suspect the fact that you are on ARM is relevant.

Reactions: gmtom1
How is the battery degradation graph supposed to look in the new version? I have 3 powerwalls and there is a percentage of degradation shown for all 3 in the table. However there is nothing showing in the graph (other than dashed lines at 13.5 and 9.5 kWh) and the dates are all 12/30/1899. I was thinking it would take some time to populate but it has been a few weeks now.

How is the battery degradation graph supposed to look in the new version? I have 3 powerwalls and there is a percentage of degradation shown for all 3 in the table. However there is nothing showing in the graph (other than dashed lines at 13.5 and 9.5 kWh) and the dates are all 12/30/1899. I was thinking it would take some time to populate but it has been a few weeks now.
This is how mine looks like.
It takes a while to show history to plot degradation or rather show on graph.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-20 105516.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-20 105516.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Can you share a screenshot? It should be showing data.