Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, and sorry it isn't working for you. I think everyone gets the SSL warning in the browser and I do have code to explicitly ignore those errors. For my sanity, would you mind sharing a screenshot of your PWC Settings page?
1711606975163.png

Reactions: tomho
@h2ofun are you able to test the gateway stats in the Android version of the app? That has near identical code, so whether it does or doesn't work, it may help narrow down the issue.

I would also love feedback from others on whether the gateway connection is working in Windows. It does work for me and I can see from telemetry that others have got it working, but there may be some additional constraint that I don't yet understand.
I tried the android app, but sure do not see how it works correctly. I do not see option to select either of my gateways.

I see nothing for how to check battery stuff?

I'm getting the same errors as above. On Android, I'm getting the NaN and in the settings I can select Extra Info, Powerwall battery health, after which no additional info is requested for a connection. In the Windows version I get the error that was seen in the screenshot above. The IP number and password are correct and the devices are on the same subnet as the gateway. I connect all the time from a web browser, so I am nonplussed as well.

I'm getting the same errors as above. On Android, I'm getting the NaN and in the settings I can select Extra Info, Powerwall battery health, after which no additional info is requested for a connection. In the Windows version I get the error that was seen in the screenshot above. The IP number and password are correct and the devices are on the same subnet as the gateway. I connect all the time from a web browser, so I am nonplussed as well.
Thanks for testing. If you're seeing NaN and no gateway settings, you do not have the latest version installed - please update in Google Play.
I really want to get this working for everyone, so all testing/information/suggestions are helpful.

I think I figured it out! Fix is coming in v7.1.2 which will be rolling out later today. But if anyone testing would like a workaround (which explains why some people could get this working previously) you can change the network properties for your current connection to "Public network".

1711668434700.png

• Helpful
Reactions: charlesj and bemyax
Wireshark packet capture appears to show only keep alives..

I think I figured it out! Fix is coming in v7.1.2 which will be rolling out later today. But if anyone testing would like a workaround (which explains why some people could get this working previously) you can change the network properties for your current connection to "Public network".

View attachment 1033158
That fixed it but I don't want my network set up that way. Looking forward to the actual fix.
(P.S. After I put the network back it still worked using cached data - a nice touch.)

1711672286791.png

Android worked fine too after I reinstalled to get the last version

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tomho
Wireshark packet capture appears to show only keep alives..

That fixed it but I don't want my network set up that way. Looking forward to the actual fix.

Android worked fine too after I reinstalled to get the last version
Great to hear! The new version will work with private networks too; there was a setting I needed to enable to make this work. So you'll be able to set your network up how you want (although FWIW the "Public" option is more secure).

I have never seen a Powerwall 3, but to get the IP I imagine the first step is the same for other Powerwalls, which is to log on to your Wifi router, browse the list of connected devices and look for one with a likely name. Quite possibly the name would have changed from the Powerwall 2 and it may or may not be obfuscated.

However even once you get the IP I suspect you will have some challenges. There is a long thread at Powerwall 3 Support · Issue #387 · jasonacox/Powerwall-Dashboard discussing PW3 APIs and authentication. I haven't read through it properly but it seems it works differently to the PW2.
Do I put this IP under "Local Gateway IP"? What do I put for "Password"?
1711679970858.png

Attachments

• 1711680003712.png
    1711680003712.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 10
While I am not the expert if that is from your home router, then this is not the right IP for the gateway. This is your router's number for it. But I could be wrong.

You are up late ;)
I disagree, this is almost certainly the gateway IP. If it were a PW2 the default password would be the last 5 digits of your serial number. But I think they said before they had a PW3, in which case this won't work.

Reactions: Grayson73
I disagree, this is almost certainly the gateway IP. If it were a PW2 the default password would be the last 5 digits of your serial number. But I think they said before they had a PW3, in which case this won't work.
I don't know for sure where that is but the 2nd line looks like a mac address, no? If so, I never see a mac address in the Gateway but I do see it when I look in the wi-fi router.

7.1.2 fixed the ability to put the IP in.

BUT, since I have 2 gateways, it is a pain to have to reenter the IP and password when I change GW's

I don't know for sure where that is but the 2nd line looks like a mac address, no? If so, I never see a mac address in the Gateway but I do see it when I look in the wi-fi router.
Yes the 192.168.x.x is the LAN IP address, and the line under that is the MAC address. Only the IP is needed to connect, but the router shows the MAC addresses of all connected devices.

Reactions: Grayson73
Yes the 192.168.x.x is the LAN IP address, and the line under that is the MAC address. Only the IP is needed to connect, but the router shows the MAC addresses of all connected devices.
So there are two IPs to enter the Tesla Gateway, one at the gateway or the one showing on the router IP?
When I do the one at the gateway that states not secure or whatever, it is certainly not the one showing in the wi-fi router when I look what is connected to the router.