Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powered retractable sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried installing this powered retractable sunshade? It looks like something that should have come with the car, but I'm hesitant to try installing something like this, especially since it requires routing a power cable through the trunk rubber seal. I'm worried that I'd do something wrong, or the cable wouldn't allow the seal to reseat properly. I have a perfectly functional, cheap, sunshade I got off of Amazon, but it isn't retractable, powered or otherwise.

RPM Tesla Powered Retractable Sunshade

I've seen ones like that, including the OtriFowd FullShade 2.0, but the reviews haven't been great regarding build quality. It's also hard to tell if some of these products are just pumped out by the same factory with different names for different retailers. I might still go with a manual version if someone on the forums recommends a good quality one they have installed. I just liked that the powered version looked so smoothly integrated (but, like a McDonalds hamburger, it probably looks a lot better in the ads).

I have the manual Otrifowd one installed in my wife's Y since March. I haven't heard it rattling, but I haven't driven the on crazy bumpy roads either. I drive with the AC on so can't really speak how well it holds up with window down. The accordian like/honeycomb sturucture works well- Easy to open and close. I think it does a good job creating an insulated layer to keep the heat off your head while driving. Downside is you loose head clearance, I'd say about 2" from the top of the glass roof.
20231026_181725.jpg

Attachments

• 20231026_181725.jpg
    20231026_181725.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231026_181754.jpg
    20231026_181754.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Sai Ko
I guess these things rattle considering the weight of the assembly. The entire weight is supported by 4 clips on the corners. Definitely it will rattle like crazy on bad roads
I had the manual Otrifowd 2.0. It blocked the sun and insulated the heat, but the fit was poor enough that even I was bothered by it. But worst is that it rattled all the danged time. Dealing with the company was such a PITA that I finally ripped it out in disgust and threw it in the trash. The cheap two-piece fixed shade works much better.

I would just skip the retractable ones.

Reactions: Sai Ko
I got the accordion fold manual one and we are happy with it no rattles. Bought it from EV Base. Note on Amazon there is now a $300 one that looks better, branded Oedro, that does not have the pleated material. It looks just like the electric one.
Yes I saw the same Oedro on Amazon and there's a discount on it too. Currently, I am using normal foldable 2 piece sunshade. Ok with the performance but this one looks opening and closing on demand