Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should be able to easily replace this bolt during annual service -- right? That will hardly cost them anything as the car is already in for service and the customer is paying for the service. Small things like this would really add value to the annual services.

Especially considering that not repairing this at annual service costs Tesla a *lot* more. If the bolts corrode and break, the repair requires dropping the battery pack and replacing at least the entire steering rack and occasionally other components like tie-rod ends or ball joints. Plus a loaner car for warranty customers for a week or two as steering racks don't seem to be a normally stocked item.

A recall might be extreme, but even a technical service bulletin would be better than nothing.

Especially considering that not repairing this at annual service costs Tesla a *lot* more. If the bolts corrode and break, the repair requires dropping the battery pack and replacing at least the entire steering rack and occasionally other components like tie-rod ends or ball joints. Plus a loaner car for warranty customers for a week or two as steering racks don't seem to be a normally stocked item.

A recall might be extreme, but even a technical service bulletin would be better than nothing.

Surely this is something that should be obvious for them to do during scheduled service?

I wonder if those people that had previously paid for repairing damage from the bolts breaking will be reimbursed. Having said that, maybe this was already being covered by the warranty. I haven't read through the whole thread.

If out of warranty you had to pay for the steering rack replacement yourself. That was my case. Will apply for reimbursement for sure.

Here is a video I did on replacing the cheap Aluminium bolts with steel ones!
Another breakage yesterday I see. When will Tesla take responsibility for this shoddy workmanship and recall the older cars?

Really nice video and I want your jacket! Great color on you too. BTW looks like your two hose clamps are corroded and would have been nice to replace when you had it apart. From today's recall it looks Bosch supplied the bolts and it's on them. Doubtful when installed by Tesla there was rust on them at that point.

This is the email I received this afternoon..

In order to ensure your safety, Tesla will proactively retrofit a power steering component in all Model S vehicles built before April 2016. (No other Tesla vehicles are affected.) There have been no injuries or accidents due to this component, despite accumulating more than a billion miles of driving.

To be clear, this recall does not apply to any Model X or Model 3 vehicles, only to Model S vehicles built before April 2016.
We have observed excessive corrosion in the power steering bolts, though only in very cold climates, particularly those that frequently use calcium or magnesium road salts, rather than sodium chloride (table salt). Nonetheless, Tesla plans to replace all early Model S power steering bolts in all climates worldwide to account for the possibility that the vehicle may later be used in a highly corrosive environment.
If the bolts fail, the driver is still able to steer the car, but increased force is required due to loss or reduction of power assist. This primarily makes the car harder to drive at low speeds and for parallel parking, but does not materially affect control at high speed, where only small steering wheel force is needed.

Our records show that you own a Model S affected by this voluntary recall. At this time there is no immediate action you need to take and you may continue to drive your Model S. Tesla will contact you to schedule an appointment when parts are available in your region. The retrofit will typically take around an hour.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at (877) 798‑3752 or by email at [email protected].

At last, some good news about this. I wonder if I can get them to replace the other bolts too. Back on page 1, my first photo shows another bolt that broke. It appears to the left of the loose motor bolt. It is trapped and cannot fall out. If I recall, the rack would have to be removed to get at that bolt.

Even if one has done the correction, please get the recall work done. In some environments aluminum and stainless steel do corrode.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 120
They should be able to easily replace this bolt during annual service -- right? That will hardly cost them anything as the car is already in for service and the customer is paying for the service. Small things like this would really add value to the annual services.

My car is at Tesla Dublin for repair of a rear liftgate latch mechanism (...seized). I asked about doing the bolt retrofit while the car is there, and Tesla said that they don't have the parts in stock and will contact me to schedule.