Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I put the wiring harness together. its easier than the instructions make it look (which some of the photos are not even a Tesla).

There is a can bus decoder that plugs into the Canbus and that goes to the main harness, i suspect this is where it detects the remote or the touchscreen opening the liftgate.

There are basically these inputs/connections to make:

1) Fuse box adapter - splits a fuse ( I will have to find one that is 'Live' when the car is unlocked via the remote, not sure which fuse I can tap into as there are no instructions that call that out and I'm currently already tapped into two for Artsci's T and for goshers blind spot detectors alreadys)
2) Ground wire
3) Canbus Adapter ( I assume this plugs in under the main screen?)
4) Power switch to install on rear lift gate handle
5) Plug that connects to the OEM rear lift gate lock
6) Left strut cable (Yes both are powered struts)
7) Right strut cable

So other than routing the harness from rear hatch to frunk, the other connectors look fairly easy once i figure out which fuse to tap.
I must say this unit does feel well built. It seems the canbus adapter plugs into the obd port on the car. Please let me know if you find out another way to plug it in.

For those of you installing this yourselves, can you take pictures and/or video showing the process? I would love to do this on my own.

I'm also curious how different this functionality or usability is different from those with the premium package already.

EDIT: I sent them an email to see when they'll have the Model S kit available again via their site. Crossing my fingers because I REALLY want this functionality. :)

Signed,
Someone too cheap to buy the premium package last year

Last edited:
For those of you installing this yourselves, can you take pictures and/or video showing the process? I would love to do this on my own.

I'm also curious how different this functionality or usability is different from those with the premium package already.

EDIT: I sent them an email to see when they'll have the Model S kit available again via their site. Crossing my fingers because I REALLY want this functionality. :)

Signed,

I was debating making install photos, but I think I will be too frustrated to do so. I dont mind making a walkthrough video of how I did it like I did with my blackvue camera

Reactions: rfmurphy81
Im looking at these poles and I really dont understand how they attach to the car. Where is the wire supposed to run through? I cant figure it out. Im hoping I dont have to drill. I messaged the seller on whats app

if you open the lift gate you will see a rubber connector on each side of the lift gate where they run wires to the lift gate,, they go through each of those, you should be able to pup those off and feed through the cable, use some silicone spray to make them slip easier.

Signed,

I'll post photos when i get to it this weekend. Ill probably remove the frunk tub, lift gate panels and the interior panels first then it will be easy.

BTW i would order some plastic panel fasteners as no doubt a bunch of those will break as usual when removing panels. I have a bunch from installing some of Artsci's 'toys' in the car.

Fun fact, some folks maybe wondering why my P85+ doesn't have auto tailgate which was standard as part of the tech package (which was required for the P85+ and air suspension at the time), well mine was a unicorn build when I purchased as an inventory car. They had basically only installed half the tech package and the original purchaser declined the delivery and discount offered. I ended up with a ridiculous discount to take the car. I also am without Homelink (I have the homelink module, just haven't figured out or found the plug to install it yet, so maybe ill hunt that down when i remove the trunk tub).

if you open the lift gate you will see a rubber connector on each side of the lift gate where they run wires to the lift gate,, they go through each of those, you should be able to pup those off and feed through the cable, use some silicone spray to make them slip easier.
Thank you for the reply. Ill be saving this job for the weekend. It seems much more involved than I initially thought.

Got a reply back overnight:

Thanks for the mail. Preorder offer is ended, now it is available for purchase here www.che1.com/tl105
Choose model 3085 from the buy now list, use Paypal to pay, we will ship to the address record on Paypal.
Please note we will ship as soon as we resume work from CNY holiday on Feb 5.

Sure enough, it's in the drop down listed as $399. I'll hold off on purchasing until I hear a success story, however. :)

Got a reply back overnight:

Sure enough, it's in the drop down listed as $399. I'll hold off on purchasing until I hear a success story, however. :)

I would wait
The seller doesnt seem to understand the questions or doesnt really understand the install. Im not quite too sure how "custom" this is made for the tesla model s

I asked him about the power cable included and how it doesn't correlate with the manual. I mentioned it looks like it plugs into a fuse. He stated I should just screw it down into the battery. Not very good advise. Anyways not very happy so far with lack of instructions

He told me he made a deal with someone and they will be posting a tutorial soon. Lets hope its more helpful

He also specified the kit is for Chinese tesla and hes not sure if it fits properly on usa cars. Really?

Did you happen to get anywhere with your install?

I haven't started yet, travelled for work this week. I will be starting tonight and finishing tomorrow. he did send me some better (but still not great instructions) did you get those last week? they are here: http://www.che1.com/docs/TL105-3085.pdf

Also, here is a guide on powering down and getting access to the battery and fuses:

• Informative
So I put the wiring harness together. its easier than the instructions make it look (which some of the photos are not even a Tesla).

There is a can bus decoder that plugs into the Canbus and that goes to the main harness, i suspect this is where it detects the remote or the touchscreen opening the liftgate.

There are basically these inputs/connections to make:

1) Fuse box adapter - splits a fuse ( I will have to find one that is 'Live' when the car is unlocked via the remote, not sure which fuse I can tap into as there are no instructions that call that out and I'm currently already tapped into two for Artsci's T and for goshers blind spot detectors alreadys)
2) Ground wire
3) Canbus Adapter ( I assume this plugs in under the main screen?)
4) Power switch to install on rear lift gate handle
5) Plug that connects to the OEM rear lift gate lock
6) Left strut cable (Yes both are powered struts)
7) Right strut cable

So other than routing the harness from rear hatch to frunk, the other connectors look fairly easy once i figure out which fuse to tap.

yeah but how do you enable it on the touchscreen/key?

Does anyone have it working?

Yep, got it working. Much easier than it looks. Also you don't have to hook power into the battery, I hooked the power into the spare harness where the lift gate controller fits on cars equipped with auto tailgate.

More to come. It opens with remote, screen the handle and a button installed on the tailgate

Here is a video