Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential outlet splitter/sharing with RV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VandalSibs

I am One with the Force, and the Force is with me
Oct 28, 2019
Spokane, WA
Similar to this thread, I'm wondering about a potential split-use of an 14-50 outlet in my garage. Here's the jist of things:

Detached garage with a dedicated 50amp circuit run to it for charging my car. Having seen the smart splitters that let you do power sharing between two EVs, I was curious if there was a way for me to use that to split between charging my Model Y & battery tending my RV..... the wrinkle is that my RV is parked outside (right next to the garage). I was thinking of hooking up a TT-30 (120v/30amp) outlet on the outside of my garage and connecting that outlet to the splitter. Is that a safe way to do things, or do I run into issues?

Thanks!

That sounds needlessly complicated as battery tending is just a few watts. If you want to use the trailer as overflow sleeping for family visits, a 5-15 is generally enough to run the A/C and basic lighting, so pretty easy if the garage has a subpanel fed off a 60A+ breaker, or just run a 14awg extension cord from the house. Otherwise, just pull the negative terminal off the battery when not in use and bring them inside over the winter.

Yeah, that was essentially the jist of things when I asked the same question on the "Ask An Electrician" subreddit (which is super fun to read, actually!)
I have this habit of looking for the coolest, techy-ist solutions to a problem that I've already solved in a simplier manner.

Otherwise, just pull the negative terminal off the battery when not in use and bring them inside over the winter.

The trailer itself has a main battery disconnect switch right inside of it - taking it out or pulling the negative terminal is tougher as the battery is stored under one of the seats in a waterproof container. It made it thru this last winter just fine (we picked it up in January, and spring/summer really only arrived in the last month in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for the input!

The trailer itself has a main battery disconnect switch right inside of it - taking it out or pulling the negative terminal is tougher as the battery is stored under one of the seats in a waterproof container. It made it thru this last winter just fine (we picked it up in January
Disconnect switch is fine. Still worth charging up at least once over the winter, as prolonged cold does bad things to partially charged deep cycle batteries (ask me how I know).