Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible signs of an unhealthy battery in a new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a brand new Performance Model 3. Has 500 miles on it. I'm concerned the battery might be unhealthy. I have a Model X and a previous Model 3, so I have some experience here.

1) I've charged from 90% to 100% three times just to try it out. I have a 100A HPWC. By the time the car is at 95% charge, the charge rate is down to 20A. It then just keeps slowing down and takes 10-12 hours to complete to 100%. It sits at "15 minutes remaining" for almost that whole time. I normally charge to 85%, but after the first time I needed all 100% and it wasn't done going from 85% to 100% over a fully night, I tried it twice more. The first balance didn't seem to fix it.

2) It only charges to 305-306 miles range when it stops. Shouldn't it go to 310? My old Model 3 still hit 310 after 6K miles, and only took about 2 hours to go from 90% to 100%.

3) I supercharged once while at 50% and 60 degrees F. It started at 73KWh and immediately tapered off to 40KWh and stayed there from 50% to 70%. Tried 3 different stalls, I am aware of the A/B stall issue, I was the only one on any of the pairs. Model S there was charging at 90KWh.

4) Even at 50% battery, I have limited regen based on the energy bar (dashes at the end). I get a "limited regen" pop up most mornings when in a 60F garage and at an 85% charge. My previous Model 3 and my Model X don't limit regen at all at 60F (unless the battery is full of course)

None of this seems normal for a brand new Model 3. Is it?

Yeah, the 12 hours sitting at just a few amps charge rate seems really wrong. It's like the pack is super unbalanced inside.

All normal. If you were getting under 300 I'd be concerned.

Is there a reason I shouldn't expect 310 out of a brand new car? 300 is over 3% less range than advertised, and my previous 3 still had 310 miles at 6K miles.

Reactions: Jaywlker
You're getting 306 so your 1% off from factory specifications. That is normal.

It's within specifications. Same if your door isn't flush with a panel. If it's within specifications (1-2mm depending on panel) then it's normal.

Tesla isn't the only manufacturer to do that so I don't get why you're surprised. If you were to go to a traditional dealer for service and your concern was your 26.5 mpg vehicle is only getting 26.3 mph then the same thing would apply. It's within specifications and every car is different.

Tesla isn't the only manufacturer to do that so I don't get why you're surprised. If you were to go to a traditional dealer for service and your concern was your 26.5 mpg vehicle is only getting 26.3 mph then the same thing would apply. It's within specifications and every car is different.

I'm surprised because my first Model X, second Model X, and first Model 3 all charged to their rated range when brand new (and even after 5K miles)

This is not the same as MPG which is based on driving habits, this is like getting a car that has a smaller gas tank than advertised when most of the cars get the full size tank.

But the 306 is not my primary concern, it's just one of the things that makes me think this battery has an issue.

I have a brand new Performance Model 3. Has 500 miles on it. I'm concerned the battery might be unhealthy. I have a Model X and a previous Model 3, so I have some experience here.

1) I've charged from 90% to 100% three times just to try it out. I have a 100A HPWC. By the time the car is at 95% charge, the charge rate is down to 20A. It then just keeps slowing down and takes 10-12 hours to complete to 100%. It sits at "15 minutes remaining" for almost that whole time. I normally charge to 85%, but after the first time I needed all 100% and it wasn't done going from 85% to 100% over a fully night, I tried it twice more. The first balance didn't seem to fix it.

2) It only charges to 305-306 miles range when it stops. Shouldn't it go to 310? My old Model 3 still hit 310 after 6K miles, and only took about 2 hours to go from 90% to 100%.

3) I supercharged once while at 50% and 60 degrees F. It started at 73KWh and immediately tapered off to 40KWh and stayed there from 50% to 70%. Tried 3 different stalls, I am aware of the A/B stall issue, I was the only one on any of the pairs. Model S there was charging at 90KWh.

4) Even at 50% battery, I have limited regen based on the energy bar (dashes at the end). I get a "limited regen" pop up most mornings when in a 60F garage and at an 85% charge. My previous Model 3 and my Model X don't limit regen at all at 60F (unless the battery is full of course)

None of this seems normal for a brand new Model 3. Is it?
I think taking 12 hours for thr last 10% is an indicator that something is very wrong. One of our M3s is almost two months old and is at the SC getting a full battery replacement. It was charging to about 306 miles, but I think that not charging to 310 was just an indicator of a larger problem with the battery. However, the service techs couldn’t tell me amything, other than “the battery was flagged for total replacement.”. So we were gifted with 3,000 free battery miles and get a free replacement that costs about 1/2 of Tesla’s tota cost to build the car. Color me happy! Tesla is also covering an entire windshield replacement for a cracked windshield even though the crack happened after delivery because there were chips in the glass when the car was delivered. Tesla is amazing!!!!

The state of charge calculation can become inaccurate over time if most of your discharges are shallow, particularly when charging to lower states of charge (like 60 or 70%, so not applicable here). If you routinely only use 10-25% of your battery, you might want to try a few deeper discharge cycles to improve the calculation.

Only charging to 306 isn’t bad... as mentioned, about 1%, which is probably within the margin of error for the calculation, especially if you’re discharges are shallow.

Run some deeper cycles and report back. Go from 20 - 90 or 95% a few times and see if that improves things.

Regarding the slow charging to 100%, can you provide more detail on what the charge rate is at various states of charge (95, 96, 97%, etc).

Reactions: Jaywlker