Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POSSIBLE first-time EV buyer in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like reading long introductions, so I'll try to keep this short. I'm an engineer who has dipped into automotive reviews and writing as a passing hobby in the past. I've owned over 30 automobiles in as many years and have driven EVs, but never owned one. Currently, I have a 2021 Ridgeline that is my daily driver and a 2019 MX-5 Miata. I've admired Teslas from a distance for years, but never seriously considered one - the recent price drops and tax incentive piqued my interest enough do so.

I've been lurking on this forum and hovering over the "place order" button on Tesla's website for a Model Y Long Range the last few days, but can't bring myself to click it. My brother-in-law ordered a MYLR this weekend. My current plan is to see how well I like his when it arrives in a month or two and if the full tax incentive is still in place then I might go ahead and order one for myself.

The Model Y would replace the Ridgeline as my daily driver. I rarely need a vehicle with an open bed, but it's nice to have on occasion. I have several family members and friends with trucks that I could use, but I don't like relying on them. I considered buying a small utility trailer that I could pull with the Model Y for those rare occasions.

My daily commute is just over 30 miles and I rarely travel farther than that. A standard 120 volt outlet would meet my charging needs, but since my breaker box is in my garage, I would install a 240 volt outlet near it and use the Mobile Connector.

Welcome and congrats on non-lurking. Might we suggest placing the order sooner than later? Thoughts are the delivery window is going to extend quickly and if the Q2 start doesn’t offer the full 7500, maybe the chance to still get on time but also a chance to delay from your end if needed, than…at most 250.00 gone if end up cancelling.

Another option might be to rent a Turo or Hertz to get a feel more quickly and still order earlier.

Just some suggestions.

I changed the engine oil in my gasoline-powered vehicle using the last oil filter I had on hand today. A lot of thoughts ran through my head as I gazed at the oil and filter then looked up at the new electrical outlet I installed last week for EV charging. I couldn't help but wonder if this was the last time I'll ever change oil in my life as I finally transition to an electric vehicle.

IMG_5126.jpg
IMG_5105.jpg