Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor mileage since 24.4 was loaded a week or so ago...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each night I top off my tank to 90% and in the AM I disconnect it, hang the cord, and drive to work. I leave for work a little after 5 AM and leave my office in the PM a little after 3, so no real traffic with which to contend and I drive at about 70 mph. Car is showing 216 miles when I leave home and my commute is 65 miles round trip and when I park in the garage in the evening, I'm showing somewhere around 124 miles remaining. I'm no mathematician, but 65, lets say 70 miles off 216 leaves 146, or 20 to 22 less than it should be. I know YMMV. Actually, if I go down to the more accurate 65 from 216, it's a 27 mile loss. Not sure how or why the software upload would affect mileage, but clearly since it was download to my M3 something is impacting it. And no, I'm not lead footing it, and no, I don't use the climate control while in my office at work, so really no big drain during the day. It just seems that the loss margin should be a lot less than 27, IMO.

Each night I top off my tank to 90% and in the AM I disconnect it, hang the cord, and drive to work. I leave for work a little after 5 AM and leave my office in the PM a little after 3, so no real traffic with which to contend and I drive at about 70 mph. Car is showing 216 miles when I leave home and my commute is 65 miles round trip and when I park in the garage in the evening, I'm showing somewhere around 124 miles remaining. I'm no mathematician, but 65, lets say 70 miles off 216 leaves 146, or 20 to 22 less than it should be. I know YMMV. Actually, if I go down to the more accurate 65 from 216, it's a 27 mile loss. Not sure how or why the software upload would affect mileage, but clearly since it was download to my M3 something is impacting it. And no, I'm not lead footing it, and no, I don't use the climate control while in my office at work, so really no big drain during the day. It just seems that the loss margin should be a lot less than 27, IMO.

Yeah, we don't know how this changed with the software version unless you have the data before...

For the SR:

Remaining rated miles = Starting rated miles - ( Trip Meter Wh/mi * Miles Traveled ) / 210Wh/rmi - (Feature Drain and Vampire Drain (in Wh))/ 210Wh/rmi

* The 210Wh/rmi constant is an estimate for the SR+ on my part - I don't know what it is exactly for that car (it's 230Wh/rmi for the AWD). I've seen a claim of 219Wh/rmi, but that may be a different constant.

Note Feature Drain & Vampire Drain are not counted on the meter in the car. So you have to watch where the miles where when you parked the car, and when you get back to it (If you keep count of that number you can substitute it for the third term in the formula above, or use it to derive the Wh of feature drain), to account for that loss appropriately.

You'll find that if you track it, it will line up fairly precisely (if you can figure out the correct constant to use, anyway).

It was around 142 to 145 before when I parked in my garage.

It's possible it's not sleeping at work, or it's hotter and you have climate overheat protection on, or you are using Sentry or it's somehow on, etc. Again, if you make note of the miles when you arrive at work and when you leave work, it should all make sense.

My guess is your miles used while driving probably have not changed much.

Some good answers already, like Alan said, check the range when you get out, to try to narrow the time when you lose the range, is it on the road, or is it while parked.

Also, always check your settings after a software update. Maybe something that before was off, is now on, like overheat protection, and since we don't know which version of software you were on before, perhaps you now are using Sentry, where before you weren't. Sentry can easily use 1.2miles every hour, which could account for half your range loss, while overheat protection could cover the rest.

So this morning, I leave my place and I'm showing the usual 216 miles of range, drive the freeway, again 70 mph, flat freeway, and 32 miles later I arrive at work and the range is now showing 168 miles. So that 32 mile drive consumed 48 miles worth of juice. I know it's not a 1 for 1 ratio, due to variables, but I'm sure it's not a 1 to 1 and a half ratio either.

@KenC: I was on 19.12.1.2 before the last download.

So, the range loss is during the driving and not while parked, so it can't be overheat protection or sentry mode.

I'd check your tire pressures, don't rely upon the TPMS, and look carefully across your tread to see if the wear seems at all uneven.

Arrived home this afternoon and the miles are at 120. AND... a few minutes later a notice arrived that a software update was available. Gee, maybe I'll get my old mileage returned... as for the air pressure, 3 were at 42 (cold), 1 was at 41. Not saying it's not possible, but sure seems difficult to believe that low tire friction would gobble up 16 miles over a 32 mile trip. Lets see what this software update does, maybe it will gobble up 2X what I actually drive instead of 1.5X.

I've posted a few threads on this. For months now I lose 10 to 15 miles of range while parked at work. Cabin overheat is disabled. Sentry mode is disabled. The car is sleeping, yet looses significant range. Brought it to SC but they thought I was over reacting. today I parked with 203 miles of range and left, 8 hours later with 187 miles. Vanishing miles. BTW, My average W/mi to work shows around 205...

I know it's not a 1 for 1 ratio, due to variables, but I'm sure it's not a 1 to 1 and a half ratio either.

Perhaps you could go out to your car & log the "trip miles" and "Wh/mi" for your drive home (it will disappear the next time you put it in drive, so this is your last chance). That way if there is a significant change due to software version, you would expect to see a change here. I would expect the trip meter based on your data (48 rated miles depleted for a 32-mile trip) to show about 315Wh/mi-330Wh/mi (which would indeed be extremely high even for a 70mph freeway drive).

Again, last chance, before you lose it...can grab the same data again tomorrow (with new software) for comparison.

There's very little anyone can do to explain the behavior without the actual data. It certainly is easily possible to use 330Wh/mi in an SR+ on a 32-mile drive and use 48 rated miles, but I would typically expect that to be uphill! And obviously it's not, since you said it was the same number of rated miles each way, and flat.

Last edited:
Arrived home this afternoon and the miles are at 120. AND... a few minutes later a notice arrived that a software update was available. Gee, maybe I'll get my old mileage returned... as for the air pressure, 3 were at 42 (cold), 1 was at 41. Not saying it's not possible, but sure seems difficult to believe that low tire friction would gobble up 16 miles over a 32 mile trip. Lets see what this software update does, maybe it will gobble up 2X what I actually drive instead of 1.5X.
And when you left work, it still said 168 miles, or something like it?

I've posted a few threads on this. For months now I lose 10 to 15 miles of range while parked at work. Cabin overheat is disabled. Sentry mode is disabled. The car is sleeping, yet looses significant range. Brought it to SC but they thought I was over reacting. today I parked with 203 miles of range and left, 8 hours later with 187 miles. Vanishing miles. BTW, My average W/mi to work shows around 205...

Have you tried this overnight as well?
I’ve noticed that I was losing 2-3% while parked at work (no overheat or sentry on), but I left it unplugged at night and this didn’t happen. No idea what’s going on, except that it was particularly hot during the work days.

@AlanSubie4Life: I actually created a spread sheet to record the various measurement points, leave in the AM, arrive at work, lunch if any, leave work, arrive at home, I've runs it this week and see if there will be any change the balance of the week.
@KenC: I think it was 167, I'd have to look at my spreadsheet.

We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Special note, since I am now on 28.3.1, I did try Beach Buggy 2 this evening. Weird playing a game using the car as the game controller. Won the first game, gave up after that.

actually created a spread sheet to record the various measurement points, leave in the AM, arrive at work, lunch if any, leave work, arrive at home, I've runs it this week and see if there will be any change the balance of the week.

Oh good.
Let us know the Wh/mi you got on the segments and the distance...we might be able to make some sense of it, if there’s still a mystery.