Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll : Which is better - FSD Beta 10.10 vs 10.9/10.8

How would you compare your experience with 10.10.x to 10.9/10.8.x ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
Note : Public poll.

Consider how the two releases performed on your routes. Which release did you like better ?

I've included comparison to both 10.8.x and 10.9, since we have a lot of people coming from both releases.

Result from the last poll below.

1645237689879.png

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
I haven't seen any evidence of any significant improvement.

This version like the versions that came before don't rise to the level of being worthy of user testing.

Does it stop where its supposed to on a consistent basis? No
Does it turn on the turn signal BEFORE getting into the lane to turn? No
Can it determine from the road type what speed to go? No

Reactions: Revolver3131
after five to six more drives, (not including my torture test route) I've changed my vote from 10.8 being better to 10.10 being better than 10.8.
Main reason is that it really did perform better on the routes I'd driven with FSD before.
One drive was significantly better.
The other bench mark was that SWMBO could see & feel the difference. Now at least she will let me engage FSD when she is in the car :D

after five to six more drives, (not including my torture test route) I've changed my vote from 10.8 being better to 10.10 being better than 10.8.
Main reason is that it really did perform better on the routes I'd driven with FSD before.
One drive was significantly better.
The other bench mark was that SWMBO could see & feel the difference. Now at least she will let me engage FSD when she is in the car :D
I think comparison between different releases gets difficult because ...
- Circumstances can be unique
- There is a great deal of variation in how FSD behaves within the same release
- So, the difference in behavior could be more random than anything particular

BUT - I do think changes in planning code are easily apparent and the result is more or less repeatable. For eg, whether the car takes wide or sharp turns. FSD Beta keeps trying to optimize - but has now ended up in unnatural weird turning trajectory.
- don't take sharp turns so there is no curb rash
- don't take wide turns so as to not cross the yellow line

I think comparison between different releases gets difficult because ...
- Circumstances can be unique
- There is a great deal of variation in how FSD behaves within the same release
- So, the difference in behavior could be more random than anything particular

BUT - I do think changes in planning code are easily apparent and the result is more or less repeatable. For eg, whether the car takes wide or sharp turns. FSD Beta keeps trying to optimize - but has now ended up in unnatural weird turning trajectory.
- don't take sharp turns so there is no curb rash
- don't take wide turns so as to not cross the yellow line
big thing for me was making a turn into our road off the main road. Previous versions have consistently not bothered to slow down, 10.8.1 would attempt the 90 degree corner onto a two lane side road at 35mph - speed limit is 25mph btw.
Granted 10.10.2 slowed down and made the turn into a series of straight lines with a 20 degree turn - but at least it didn't feel like it wanted to power slide around the corner, so I took that as a win :)

The biggest most obvious improvement everyone should notice is the way 10.10 enters a turn lane. Before it would dive in as soon as the lane opens, jerking your head along the way. In 10.10, it gradually enters turn lane while crossing over the white line a bit like a human would do.

Other than that very similar to 10.8, but much better than 10.9

big thing for me was making a turn into our road off the main road. Previous versions have consistently not bothered to slow down, 10.8.1 would attempt the 90 degree corner onto a two lane side road at 35mph - speed limit is 25mph btw.
Granted 10.10.2 slowed down and made the turn into a series of straight lines with a 20 degree turn - but at least it didn't feel like it wanted to power slide around the corner, so I took that as a win :)
I think they made that change in 10.9. Anyway I'll be doing some driving today and will have the exact case you describe here.

BTW, I've a 40 mph to 30 mph turn using a fork. Earlier FSD would do that correctly every time - from 10.8 it comes in too fast, misses the fork, tries to turn at the fairly busy intersection anyway and I've to disengage because the turn would be wide. If there is a lead car or red light at the signal, it works correctly !

Reactions: Twiglett
I voted for 10.8 better than 10.10. 10.0 has a very annoying problem with trying to go around a line of cars stopped at a traffic light instead of waiting on the light. This even if it was following the car ahead and both just stopped.

I voted for 10.8 better than 10.10. 10.0 has a very annoying problem with trying to go around a line of cars stopped at a traffic light instead of waiting on the light. This even if it was following the car ahead and both just stopped.
I’ve had that happen with both versions and it’s supremely annoying. What’s really frustrating is that it happens even with the speed based lane change option off. While I want to believe they have a bunch of talented folks working on FSD, things like this make me wonder if they’re all rowing in the same direction.

the wheel is no longer super jittery when turning right from a stop.

How do I get blessed with this, because the wheel is continually sawing away while turning. I especially love when it's coming to a stop at a light, turns the wheel left or right for no reason, and jerks back and forth while doing so. Like, come on people, can we not dampen the control output based on speed???

Reactions: sleepydoc
I think 10.10.2 is on par with 10.8.1, but for different reasons.

The new one does a much better (not 100%) job of not crossing the center line on curvy roads, but phantom braking is a little worse, sometimes acting like a bucking horse. They both miss residential turns at 25 mph and run a stop sign near my house. Some of the navigation routes are insane, taking 20 minute strolls down 25 mph residential street (like a drunken sailor) rather than almost parallel highways.

Autopark hasn't worked at 10.10.2 yet, but it was always pretty unreliable to start.

Both of them fail at simple stuff that Enhanced Autopilot handled easily, and the new maps are sending the car into left turn lanes when it shouldn't be turning at all, and loses its little mind when the land abruptly ends.

I voted for "about the same as 10.8" but after more reflection I'm changing to "worse". The faulty centering on unmarked roads, uneven braking performance when coming to a stop, and the mixed performance elsewhere (e.g. nothing is "clearly" better or worse on an average drive) makes the overall experience a bit more annoying on average than with 10.8.1. I thought 10.8.1 was not great with its high rate of false positives for cone detection causing random lane changes away from the imaginary cones, but this generally didn't happen that often, while the questionable lane centering performance impacts almost every drive into and out of my neighborhood.