Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Dissuasion?

Q1-2017 earning call reinforces that Model 3 is inferior to Model S. How does this affect you as a?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another is that the long distance version is not nearly as quick as the new Model S with nearly the same capacity.

I really hope that dual motors or ludicrous bring the acceleration to even compete with a BMW 340i let alone an M3.
Capacity is not directly connected to acceleration or top speed.
Model 3 RWD could be motor limited. The motor is strong enough to do the 5.1 s -60mph, and reach 220mph. Or the 220mph could be software limited.
Also, with chemistry focused on COST above all, density next, choosing the bigger 2170 form factor (mostly for COST reasons), you're most likely going to see a lower maximum charge and discharge rate. So if an S/X 75kWh pack delivers say 300kW without over-zealous fuses and driving software, don't be surprised if the Model 3 75 pack tops out at 250kW or less.
Also, since it'all about cost, Standard and Long Range of course get the same rear motor. The standard cars use most of the power (slightly slower to 60mph), the Long Range eeks a bit more out by maxing the power the motor will take.

I have some hopes for future Performance versions. Cells could get totally different chemistry to enable higher power output. To get truly faster acceleration from dual motors, that may be needed. And we can dream P will come with the standard range cars, but of course it will not.

Some disadvantages from handover night are:

No AM radio (Model S does, but X doesn't either)

No Air Suspension

GPS enabled Homelink not listed as an option at all

Tow package not listed as an option but most likely oversight because it was tweeted last year.

When rear camera is on, other functions such as music display, navigation would be hidden
(conventional 17" can display 2 functions at a time, like music display and rear camera...)
I'm guessing towing will appear later. I hope suspension does, and the rear camera thing isn't that big a deal. My Audi already does that, so I'm used to it

Some disadvantages from handover night are:

No AM radio (Model S does, but X doesn't either)

No Air Suspension

GPS enabled Homelink not listed as an option at all

Tow package not listed as an option but most likely oversight because it was tweeted last year.

When rear camera is on, other functions such as music display, navigation would be hidden
(conventional 17" can display 2 functions at a time, like music display and rear camera...)
I assume if SAS is an option, it will require the Dual motor option - so just haven't seen it yet. Same with the tow package.

Capacity is not directly connected to acceleration or top speed.
Model 3 RWD could be motor limited. The motor is strong enough to do the 5.1 s -60mph, and reach 220mph. Or the 220mph could be software limited.
Also, with chemistry focused on COST above all, density next, choosing the bigger 2170 form factor (mostly for COST reasons), you're most likely going to see a lower maximum charge and discharge rate. So if an S/X 75kWh pack delivers say 300kW without over-zealous fuses and driving software, don't be surprised if the Model 3 75 pack tops out at 250kW or less.
Also, since it'all about cost, Standard and Long Range of course get the same rear motor. The standard cars use most of the power (slightly slower to 60mph), the Long Range eeks a bit more out by maxing the power the motor will take.

I have some hopes for future Performance versions. Cells could get totally different chemistry to enable higher power output. To get truly faster acceleration from dual motors, that may be needed. And we can dream P will come with the standard range cars, but of course it will not.

The super cost savers will introduce a new cell with different chemistry for the performance version? I doubt that.

And if the pack is limited to 250kW, there is no way we could see a 300 kW Model 3 that can compete with a BMW M3.

Not sure why they'd use 300 kW inverters if this were the case...

Pretty sure that they aren't using those in the current Model 3s. They have a 300kW+ architecture. And they are even saving on the freaking charger. So no way they are handing out free inverter power.

But maybe in future ones, if the battery can give out more power. And there is always the Model S.

Model 3 is inferior? This is fake news
Having to open your own friggin' doors?? ;-)
Really, Model S and X are becoming overpriced, base and long range versions at least. They had to prevent Model 3 ending up a Model S without physical glove box button. A slightly smarter boot and longer nose would not have cost much or anything, but make the S redundant pretty much.

The inverter may well be one size fits all Model 3's. Prepared for the added front motor and possibly even a P version.

If I wanted a superior model 3 I would buy an S. This is supposed to be Tesla's budget electric car right? Or am I severely misinformed?
You're right. Just, bringing a cheaper car to market 5 years later makes it difficult to not have it be better in some ways. They still managed to cut some practicality and luxury, though. What else could we expect?

Why exactly is this 6 month old thread being resurrected? Are you just deciding now your feelings about the Q1 2017 earnings call?

attachment.php