Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Model 3 reservation since 4/2016, but wound up buying an S. Part of my logic was that I figured with delays, there was an excellent chance, as a non-owner, I would not see that tax credit. It didn't hurt that Tesla gave me an S as a 24 hour loaner. That sealed the deal. Part of my logic was that by buying a base level S75 ($68,500 with the $1,000 referral), it would wind up costing me about $60,000 after the federal & state credits. The Model 3 I had reserved would have cost me about $50,000. At a delta of $10,000, assuming I wouldn't see the credits (yes, I know it was a crapshoot) the S began to make a lot of sense. YMMV.

I have not stopped smiling since I got the car a month ago.

Reactions: Chopr147
I'd say it shows the exact opposite - over 20% of EV enthusiasts (those who visit and post on this site) won't buy it without the credit.

Nearly 80% will still buy! I guess i'm just a glass half full guy :)

The model 3 has a wait list possibly over 500,000 people! I think that alone shows EV's are here to stay. The credit was useful but is now just money handed out to buyers who can afford a $40k + car. And hey, I used it myself buying an $85K car. Not complaining but it was not an incentive to me.

Nearly 80% will still buy! I guess i'm just a glass half full guy
Again, those results are for EV enthusiasts - not only that, but the majority of people who voted probably have had a $1000 deposit put down for months/years. For 20% of them to say they won't purchase an EV without the tax credit is huge. For the general population those results would be much worse.

Reactions: insaneoctane
If the federal tax credit goes away we would still buy, but reduce the features to fit within budget. We are considering the long range version of the Model 3 ($9,000 more) since the tax credit ($7,500) helps cover part of that cost. We would go with the Standard Version since there is "no rush" to get the federal tax credit.

Again, those results are for EV enthusiasts - not only that, but the majority of people who voted probably have had a $1000 deposit put down for months/years. For 20% of them to say they won't purchase an EV without the tax credit is huge. For the general population those results would be much worse.

Giving a tax credit to 8 people who would buy anyway, in order to get an additional two to buy just does not make economic sense. Especially when demand so far outstrips supply that for the next two or three years every EV built will be sold whether there's a tax credit or not.

When there are EVs sitting unsold on car lots is the time to enact a tax credit. (Or better yet, eliminate the subsidies on gas, and EVs will sell themselves.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Chopr147 and DR61
Nearly 80% will still buy! I guess i'm just a glass half full guy :)

The model 3 has a wait list possibly over 500,000 people! I think that alone shows EV's are here to stay. The credit was useful but is now just money handed out to buyers who can afford a $40k + car. And hey, I used it myself buying an $85K car. Not complaining but it was not an incentive to me.
I just can't help but wonder how many of those US reservation holders placed their reservation with the full tax credit in mind. I know that I can't be the only one who thought "Tesla for the price of a new Civic" on the morning of 3/31/2016...

Reactions: insaneoctane
I just can't help but wonder how many of those US reservation holders placed their reservation with the full tax credit in mind. I know that I can't be the only one who thought "Tesla for the price of a new Civic" on the morning of 3/31/2016...

Honestly it never even occurred to me as a factor until almost a year after I made the reservation. Hell, I didn't even do the math on how much I spend per month on fuel until the last 60 days or so ($220-250/mo, as it turns out, vs ~$40-50 to charge the car in all likelihood, based on modifications to my Model S efficiency numbers during a multi-day test drive as a baseline)

While I agree many reservation holders expected the credit, it was more of a bonus than an incentive. If you can't afford the car w/o it maybe you should look into a Nissan Leaf
One look at Leaf in person was all it took for me to realize that I’d never buy one. I’m definitely not above letting aesthetics play a role in my vehicle choices.

As such, the base Model 3 with the credit is the only EV we’re considering over ICE alternatives.

The best engineered "internal combustion engines" deteriorate over time. Seals and gaskets age and rot. The longer anyone drives an ICE the more and more it pollutes.

The engine/transmission on most newer generation ICE vehicles is actually extremely reliable and 100,000-200,000 trouble free miles is pretty typical as long as they get routine maintenance.

EV should be more reliable long term other than battery degradation but it's worth noting that people over-exaggerate the lower maintenance of EVs.

All of the suspension components, safety components, HVAC components as well as some other things not present in ICE (battery coolant and circulation system being one) will eventually wear out in an EV and need to be replaced.

I think that eventually EVs will be far more reliable than ICE transportation but I remain unconvinced that we are at that point yet. Maybe next generation of vehicles will get us there.

Reactions: pdxrob and Chopr147
The engine/transmission on most newer generation ICE vehicles is actually extremely reliable and 100,000-200,000 trouble free miles is pretty typical as long as they get routine maintenance.

EV should be more reliable long term other than battery degradation but it's worth noting that people over-exaggerate the lower maintenance of EVs.

All of the suspension components, safety components, HVAC components as well as some other things not present in ICE (battery coolant and circulation system being one) will eventually wear out in an EV and need to be replaced.

I think that eventually EVs will be far more reliable than ICE transportation but I remain unconvinced that we are at that point yet. Maybe next generation of vehicles will get us there.

100k maybe, but other than lexus or acura good luck getting 200k trouble free miles out of any premium brand. Altenators, fuel pumps, emissions control, brakes (lots of brake replacements for luxury vehicles), cooling systems, transmissions,etc. I've taken one BMW and three Audis up to 150k to 200k miles and trouble-free is not how I would describe it. Although they were still really nice to drive at that mileage.

I think that the loss of the federal tax rebate will be a deal-breaker for many who simply can't afford the M3 without a subsidy. That's especially true right now because the only M3s available are $49,000 (LR & PUP) before tax and license. I think that it's going to be a long time before the base model ($35,000) becomes available.