Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - how long you plan on keeping you Model 3?

How long do you plan on keeping your Model 3?

• 4 years or less (just keep for the original warranty)

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • 5 to 8 years (keep for the original warranty and the extended service agreement)

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • greater than 8 years

Votes: 71 50.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't change cars very often. Only 2 issues that I can see causing me to get a new car in under 10 years. First is due to my long commute I just wear the car out that quickly (~50k miles a year). The second is that a car with FSD is released and my current car can't be upgraded.

My current car is an 06 with 170k miles I only recently started having a long commute. I would be keeping this car for a few more years but really want an EV so will get a new car earlier than planned. I am hoping to get 15 to 20 years on a car.

My reason for keeping the vehicle x number of years is not a warranty but a tech issue. Tesla vehicles are different from many other vehicles due to the high level of technology built into each vehicle. Although software updates are routine; hardware is another issue. I don’t foresee keeping it for more than 5 years because I can only imagine where EV technology (battery, FSD, etc) will be by then.

Reactions: T34ME
If Tesla really opens the Right to Repair, which is probably going to be a must before I commit to a purchase and the wording of the ESA so that there's about the same number of exclusions as in the S and X, I'll keep the car for as long as the repairs don't destroy my finances.

Hopefully depreciation on the M3 isn't so bad especially since an onslaught of BEVs are going to start coming out by 2022 (hopefully :) ) though most may not reached 310 miles. Also everyone keeps talking about solid state batteries, which may be game changes if they are close to half the cost of current Li-on batteries with double the distance.

But 310 miles even with degradation over eight years is something I can live with.

I keep my cars for a decade. After that the maintenance costs start to become a real liability IMO. That equates to approximately 200K miles for me. I spend money on preventive maintenance and repairs, but I don't want to replace transmissions or other big ticket items....at 200K things start to get me nervous on ICE. I expect to try to get that much out of the Model 3. If the drivetrain and battery show promise of lasting that long or longer, I could see myself pushing it further. Conversely, if things look bad, I may not try my normal...

I hope Tesla allows third parties to access to information and spare parts to perform regular and even corrective maintenance.

EM said that the service centers aren't going to be profit centers but they haven't undertaken decisions to facilitate self (other parties) maintenance.

If Tesla really opens the Right to Repair, which is probably going to be a must before I commit to a purchase and the wording of the ESA so that there's about the same number of exclusions as in the S and X, I'll keep the car for as long as the repairs don't destroy my finances.

Hopefully depreciation on the M3 isn't so bad especially since an onslaught of BEVs are going to start coming out by 2022 (hopefully :) ) though most may not reached 310 miles. Also everyone keeps talking about solid state batteries, which may be game changes if they are close to half the cost of current Li-on batteries with double the distance.

But 310 miles even with degradation over eight years is something I can live with.

I've been waiting for my M3 in my 2007 Nissan Xterra that I've had for 11 years now. I typically don't buy something new unless there is a major reason/feature that really enhances the way I commute, which the M3 does.

I can easily see the M3 being the same for me given my short commute (9 miles). So unless there is something major that comes out that I need and my M3 can't do I'll likely stick with it until it wears out.

@jerjozwik I am right there with you man. Drive it till the wheels come off. Hopefully its a long time till that happens though.

I would love for that to happen but with no Right To Repair or at least assurances that repair costs post warranty will not be Model S or X-insane, it seems Tesla just wants to keep selling new vehicles to new customers (and customers who keep trading up every few years) and can't be bothered growing loyalty organically so that potential first time TM3 buyers like us will keep our cars as long as possible (for me, average annual repair bill of $1.5k or less beginning Year 9 to Year 15 like my 02 Honda Civic) and get another Tesla instead of a competing BEV.

I normally keep cars for 12 to 15 years, though I only had the Zap Xebra for 4 years because it was annoyingly under-powered and I wanted a proper electric car. But the Model 3 is kind of an unknown for me: I'm not waiting for the AWD because that's just too far out. So, I could end up trading in my first-production Model 3 for a P-AWD when that becomes available in one to two years. Or I might be so satisfied that I don't feel the need for P or AWD and I keep the car for a decade. Once FSD becomes available I will trade in whatever I have for that, because even if the first-production 3 is capable of running the software, I'd expect the latest version to run it better.

So the length of time I keep my first Model 3 will depend on whether I'm satisfied with its performance and quality, and if I am, then it will depend on when FSD becomes available.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
I normally keep cars for 12 to 15 years, though I only had the Zap Xebra for 4 years because it was annoyingly under-powered and I wanted a proper electric car. But the Model 3 is kind of an unknown for me: I'm not waiting for the AWD because that's just too far out. So, I could end up trading in my first-production Model 3 for a P-AWD when that becomes available in one to two years. Or I might be so satisfied that I don't feel the need for P or AWD and I keep the car for a decade. Once FSD becomes available I will trade in whatever I have for that, because even if the first-production 3 is capable of running the software, I'd expect the latest version to run it better.

So the length of time I keep my first Model 3 will depend on whether I'm satisfied with its performance and quality, and if I am, then it will depend on when FSD becomes available.
I have much the same opinion, though in my case the FSD I value is deer recognition