Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

• Yes, will be upgrading to Ludicrous ASAP

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Nah, plenty happy with Insane. No fuse upgrade for me.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • On the fence. Will wing it for the next 6 months.

Votes: 39 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is apparently still a shortage of concrete information available to the service centers. But our SC have confirmed that the P85D upgrade does NOT include the battery upgrade, and in fact the battery upgrade is not going to be available at this time anyway. They made a statement that the P85D with ludicrous mode will have "comparable" acceleration to a P90D with ludicrous mode, but they are not able to qualify what comparable means yet. Either way I'm going to do this upgrade as it will essentially be a 10,000 option for nearly half the price (depending on labour). Ultimately I'm sure battery upgrades will become available if I want to fully release all of the ludicrous power.

There is apparently still a shortage of concrete information available to the service centers. But our SC have confirmed that the P85D upgrade does NOT include the battery upgrade, and in fact the battery upgrade is not going to be available at this time anyway. They made a statement that the P85D with ludicrous mode will have "comparable" acceleration to a P90D with ludicrous mode, but they are not able to qualify what comparable means yet. Either way I'm going to do this upgrade as it will essentially be a 10,000 option for nearly half the price (depending on labour). Ultimately I'm sure battery upgrades will become available if I want to fully release all of the ludicrous power.

There's no reason why it should be any difference. There's nothing about Silicon in the anode that increases the maximum safe C rate. I suppose if the voltage curve(under load) is slightly different, that could effect total power at comparable states of SOC. But the difference would be tiny.

There's no reason why it should be any difference. There's nothing about Silicon in the anode that increases the maximum safe C rate. I suppose if the voltage curve(under load) is slightly different, that could effect total power at comparable states of SOC. But the difference would be tiny.
Agreed, on the surface it doesn't seem like this should matter (not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about this). The concern, also raised in previous posts in this thread is that Tesla have stated that the 90Kwh battery is a pre-requisite for ludicrous mode for new customers. The wording from Elon and through the SC is that the L mode and the 90 KWh battery are "almost" entirely independent and the acceleration is "comparable". The SC were not willing to qualify what comparable meant until more information is available. Thus the impression is that the 90Kwh batteries might have some relevant feature that affects the performance.

They made a statement that the P85D with ludicrous mode will have "comparable" acceleration to a P90D with ludicrous mode, but they are not able to qualify what comparable means yet.
There's no reason why it should be any difference. There's nothing about Silicon in the anode that increases the maximum safe C rate.
Ok, I'll bite. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I thought the "C" in "C rate" related to the pack capacity. Shouldn't a 90 pack have ((90-85)/85)=5.88% more power output given the same C rate?

Ok, I'll bite. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I thought the "C" in "C rate" related to the pack capacity. Shouldn't a 90 pack have ((90-85)/85)=5.88% more power output given the same C rate?

Yes, totally true, but you mean more current at the same C rate. Power would be current * voltage. What I should have said is that increasing capacity doesn't automatically increase discharge current. Typically, changes that result in higher capacity result in lower discharge currents. Adding Silicon to the Anode allows the anode to suck up lithium ions. Usually this comes at a cycle life tradeoff. Changes that increase capacity often lower the C rate and keep maximum discharge current identical. Did they find a way around this? Who knows.

It also could be that this is entirely moot and that 1500 amps is well with both batteries safe discharge rates.

That said, if the voltage curve shifts to the right on the new battery, then the same current will deliver more power. Maybe this is where the "almost" comes from.

Can't wait to see REST KW data at 100% from both L variants when they first start hitting the streets.

There's no reason why it should be any difference. There's nothing about Silicon in the anode that increases the maximum safe C rate.
Yes, totally true, but you mean more current at the same C rate.
Yes, see underlined.

I guess what I missed was that you were implying the 90 kWh pack might use a lower C rate, whereas I was originally assuming you meant the same C rate. (You said "not >" but we were individually meaning "=" and "<" apparently.)

Yes, see underlined.

I guess what I missed was that you were implying the 90 kWh pack might use a lower C rate, whereas I was originally assuming you meant the same C rate. (You said "not >" but we were individually meaning "=" and "<" apparently.)

No. I was just wrong because I didn't think it through far enough and restated what I should have had I actually thought it through. So I was just wrong :)

I´m wondering if the new fuse for Ludicrous was made for the X to give it a trailer hitch?
If so, maybe the S will come with "trailer mode" with the Ludicrous fuse installed?

If so it is well worth spending $5k. Atleast something to convince the wife it is a good investment :)

I´m wondering if the new fuse for Ludicrous was made for the X to give it a trailer hitch?
If so, maybe the S will come with "trailer mode" with the Ludicrous fuse installed?

If so it is well worth spending $5k. Atleast something to convince the wife it is a good investment :)

It would not have been needed for towing. Towing relies on a moderate amount of continuous power during acceleration. The amount of torque that even the regular S85 produces low down is still more than most trucks make with 9000 lb towing capacities.