Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told 6 months, but could be worth another $100 if I could keep the price locked in to see what happens. But no idea how all that works either. So not sure yet on what to do. Really would love to get one sooner rather than later.
Before or at May 7th I will be putting in my order. Might even order a MY too so if discounts are good I can dump the M3P...

Edit: unless i get an amazing deal on a used performance with FSD

If they cancel your order because YOU fail to take delivery within 3 months the price is NOT locked. It’s a new order. When you place the order you have 3 mo to be within 3 days of the delivery date they grant you. You may have to pay delivery fees as well if to fail to take delivery. It’s all part of the contract you sign when you pay the 100$

Im an idiot, meant 90 days but you helped us out anyhow!
In any case, the wording is fairly clear that the intent of the ordering clauses is "If tesla screws up, we'll refund but if it doesn't work out because of you, we keep your money and may charge delivery as fair damage compensation". I mean, they have much higher demand than supply.

In any case, the wording is fairly clear that the intent of the ordering clauses is "If tesla screws up, we'll refund but if it doesn't work out because of you, we keep your money and may charge delivery as fair damage compensation". I mean, they have much higher demand than supply.
You personally would advise against ordering 3 months early solely to get to 8/4 knowing that the buyer would refuse delivery if nothing is passed congresionally?

You personally would advise against ordering 3 months early solely to get to 8/4 knowing that the buyer would refuse delivery if nothing is passed congresionally?
Unless you're ok with buying without the incentive. I'm in NJ and in my case, the state incentives come back in July. Normally before my delivery date, I should know a bit more about the program. Within 3 mo it should be back up and that program is good enough for me to buy now. Besides I budgeted without just in case a) the wait kills me more than $5K and b) the rebate gets postponed/merged with the other one (which I personally do not expect).

If I were waiting on the Fed bill, I would probably prepare mentally not to buy before next Jan and would order on Jan 1st-ish OR when the bill gets effective, whichever comes first. I mean you should be able to save enough $ in that time frame to make the rebate less and less appealing moving forward.

ah man. what a pain. I estimate I have like 3-4 more weeks before my M3P VIN gets assigned to decide whether to cancel my order and wait for this incentive to come along or just buy now.
so like others said:
what are the odds of the incentive passing?
how much will it be (7.5k? 10k? ICE trade-in credit as well?)
when will it go into effect (Immediately in August, or in 2022?)
how much will Tesla raise prices if it goes into effect? (probably another 2-3k i would guess)

it's funny how putting down a little money really starts to affect my view of getting a Tesla. I've wanted one for a while, but was comfortable waiting until I felt the time was right. Then I put down my deposit, and find out about the incentives, and now find it strangely hard to let the car go again.

ah man. what a pain. I estimate I have like 3-4 more weeks before my M3P VIN gets assigned to decide whether to cancel my order and wait for this incentive to come along or just buy now.
so like others said:
what are the odds of the incentive passing?
how much will it be (7.5k? 10k? ICE trade-in credit as well?)
when will it go into effect (Immediately in August, or in 2022?)
how much will Tesla raise prices if it goes into effect? (probably another 2-3k i would guess)

it's funny how putting down a little money really starts to affect my view of getting a Tesla. I've wanted one for a while, but was comfortable waiting until I felt the time was right. Then I put down my deposit, and find out about the incentives, and now find it strangely hard to let the car go again.

It'll be effective immediately the day after you take delivery lol. I hope that's not the case. There's gotta be a cutoff sometime though and some people are gonna feel screwed.

Reactions: jimmyvegas
i asked my Tesla salesperson to put my order on hold. He said I could keep it that way "indefinitely" which didn't make a lot of sense to me, but i guess we will see how it goes.
I read over the contract again, and the only thing it says is if you don't take delivery within 3 months of Tesla's first attempt to deliver it to you they can cancel your order and keep your deposit. Well they probably wouldn't start to notify me until June anyway, so 3 months from that date is sometime in Sept and I hope things are figured out by then.

i asked my Tesla salesperson to put my order on hold. He said I could keep it that way "indefinitely" which didn't make a lot of sense to me, but i guess we will see how it goes.
I read over the contract again, and the only thing it says is if you don't take delivery within 3 months of Tesla's first attempt to deliver it to you they can cancel your order and keep your deposit. Well they probably wouldn't start to notify me until June anyway, so 3 months from that date is sometime in Sept and I hope things are figured out by then.
It also says they can charge the delivery fees as fair compensation.

yeah definitely saw that. Is that something that ever happens to people that don't actually get a VIN? I assumed they only would charge dest if they actually delivered it, but yeah the contract says they can do it whenever if they want.
I have never heard of someone having to pay that penalty. I would guess it might happen if you are in a region without stores/SC or if you order an unpopular configuration. I mean, I would charge the penalty if the car made it to "you" and nobody in the same delivery spot wants the exact same car.

go Joe go. (fingers crossed, i want my 7.5k :) )

1620168019262.png