Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a TV watcher - unless you count Netflix, so I don't watch cable news. However I have seen some Youtube clips of Fox News on their science segments. Please for the love of all that is good and holy, do not get your science coverage from Fox News. The clips of their science coverage are horrifying. One guy on there thought that moon volcanoes several billion years ago might disprove global warming.

If you want to get the best info about science (important in this era of noise and information), PM me and I will try to steer you in the right direction.

Yes. My dad is the perfect example of someone who got brainwashed from watching only Fox News. He used to be rational and objective and now I'm afraid I've lost him :'(

And my sister and her husband are in the front aisle right along with your dad.
They are not objective or discerning about world events or facts, just the slanted view that Fox News presents.

faux news?? this just is an example of naivete and immaturity. I bet you rarely if ever watch FNC, you just parrot whatever you're fed
the FOX NEWS CHANNEL does not have much sports coverage and no simpsons. the simpsons are found on the fox broadcast network and sports can be found on both the broadcast and the Fox sports 1 and local fox sports channels.

Thank you for your learned assessment of my level of development.
I look forward to the day you give any credibility to any opinion other than your own.

People who watch it think it is the absolute truth and many others disagree.
nobody has stated any such thing, can we agree that all of the media is biased one way or another?

- - - Updated - - -

And my sister and her husband are in the front aisle right along with your dad.
They are not objective or discerning about world events or facts, just the slanted view that Fox News presents.

Thank you for your learned assessment of my level of development.
I look forward to the day you give any credibility to any opinion other than your own.
ok, you do that.
some people are satisfied depending on al sharpton, chris matthews and rachel maddow for their daily indoctrination, many others are open to many different ideas, opinions and concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a TV watcher - unless you count Netflix, so I don't watch cable news. However I have seen some Youtube clips of Fox News on their science segments. Please for the love of all that is good and holy, do not get your science coverage from Fox News. The clips of their science coverage are horrifying. One guy on there thought that moon volcanoes several billion years ago might disprove global warming.

If you want to get the best info about science (important in this era of noise and information), PM me and I will try to steer you in the right direction.
you could say that depending on the TV for any sort of dependable info is pointless, not just scientific info.

you could say that depending on the TV for any sort of dependable info is pointless, not just scientific info.

Yes but I think humanity should embrace evidence-based reasoning for the sake of our well-being in the 21st century, and let me tell you, the TV is not helpful. Cable TV News, could at best be considered dogmatic.

Hence the reason I'm a reader not a watcher.

Swedish public service media [And Democracy Now!] is quite different from Fox News. I’ve seen/listened to all of them…

Swedish public service radio has a correspondent fluent in Spanish in Venezuela. And she has been there since it started.

So what are your sources?

Swedish media is in my opinion so corrupt. Only a fool would take worldly geo political news from them. One and the same family own all the major news papers + several tv channels. It's quite easy to discover their twisted marxist/leftist propaganda thanks to the internet today.

when it comes to big world politics I can highly recommend presstv.com and rt.com

Swedish public service media (and Democracy Now!) is quite different from Fox News. I’ve seen/listened to all of them…

Swedish public service radio has a correspondent fluent in Spanish in Venezuela. And she has been there since it started.

So what are your sources?
wow! you are the clever ideolouge, no faux news???
you go ahead and keep on keepin on and many of us will remain far ahead of the curve, peace out

.../ when it comes to big world politics I can highly recommend /.../ rt.com
Funny you bring up rt.com in this thread! You do know that media outlet is controlled buy the Kremlin, right?

- - - Updated - - -

wow! you are the clever ideolouge, no faux news???
you go ahead and keep on keepin on and many of us will remain far ahead of the curve, peace out
So… No source?

- - - Updated - - -

Swedish media is in my opinion so corrupt. Only a fool would take worldly geo political news from them. One and the same family own all the major news papers + several tv channels. It's quite easy to discover their twisted marxist/leftist propaganda thanks to the internet today. /...
The family Larken is referring to – the Bonnier family – owns media that is considered to be liberal in a Swedish context. And in this Swedish political context, liberal means to the right of an imaginary left-right political divide (but to the left of media that’s in turn considered conservative).

See for example:

Bonnier family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bonnier Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their four biggest newspapers:

Dagens Nyheter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(The biggest daily newspaper in Stockholm (and Sweden). The biggest of two in Stockholm by quite some margin.)

Dagens Industri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(The biggest business paper in Sweden.)

Expressen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(The second biggest tabloid in Sweden. Out of two, and a close second.)

Sydsvenskan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(The biggest newspaper in Sweden's third city – Malmö. The biggest of two in this city)

Last edited:
Funny you bring up rt.com in this thread! You do know that media outlet is controlled buy the Kremlin, right?

Of course I know that. Maybe it's time to widen your views and read both sides of the story? Besides, I've been following rt.com for years and also the established western media to know full well who lies and distorts the most. If one had followed rt.com and or presstv.com during the Libya and Syria crisis one would have been fully aware of how much lies the western media were creating in those conflicts. Not to mention the lies about WMD in Iraq in 2003. But if one only reads one side of the story......... Well, what can I say......

Swedish media is in my opinion so corrupt. Only a fool would take worldly geo political news from them. One and the same family own all the major news papers + several tv channels. It's quite easy to discover their twisted marxist/leftist propaganda thanks to the internet today.

when it comes to big world politics I can highly recommend presstv.com and rt.com

I dont know about the Swedish press, but to say that rt.com is a good source of information is ridiculous.
rt.com is openly financed an controlled by the Kremel, Im not talking about some string pulling, Im talking about rt.com beeing the official Kreml Chanel.
I watched rt.com quite alot, since the covered Bitcoin very broadly always with the tenor "abonden the Dollar, its gonna hyperinflate OMGOMG run for you life FUD" meanwhile the Rubel is fell 30% against the $ in the last 12 Months.

I will just open it up now and quite some of those headlines

Yea hail Putin for his kindness

Im sure one day rt.com will hire Alex Jones.

What is also intresting to note is that it seems that the socialmedia informationwar is beeing held by officials also.
In some of the reddit threads there pro-russian, anit-ukrainian posts highly upvoted and commented by users with an avg. account age of 2 days.
So I think the times are over where the Internet was a unmanipulated newssource, its getting harder and harder to figure out whats going on.

Just to make a Tesla comparison, If one would judge the future Vehicle Technology just by reading the comments of the major news sites.
One would think, that Fuel Cells is the only future, Batteries are Toxic, 90% of the battery is made out of Lithium. Hydrogen is the most common Fuel in the world. Hydrogen=Water, so just pour a bottle of Water in that Hydrogen tank. and so on and so on.

…/ when it comes to big world politics I can highly recommend presstv.com /…
…/ Press TV (stylised PRESSTV) is a 24-hour English language news organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB). IRIB is independent of the Iranian government [Sure!], but is close to the country's conservative political faction, especially the elite revolutionary guards. /.../ PressTV headquarters are located in Tehran, Iran. /… [My underline.]

Source: Press TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do I need to add something? :rolleyes:

On second thought, why not add Larkens complete quote (for the record):

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I know that. Maybe it's time to widen your views and read both sides of the story? Besides, I've been following rt.com for years and also the established western media to know full well who lies and distorts the most. If one had followed rt.com and or presstv.com during the Libya and Syria crisis one would have been fully aware of how much lies the western media were creating in those conflicts. Not to mention the lies about WMD in Iraq in 2003. But if one only reads one side of the story......... Well, what can I say......
If the media in question isn’t based in a democracy, then it’s not worth my time.

Last edited:
If the media in question isn’t based in a democracy, then it’s not worth my time.

Lol at above statement.... Since when is the value of information subject to which form of goverment it is under? The Truth is the Truth. Period. Now, I am not claiming any news site to be reporting only truth and never propaganda, but my point is, broaden yourself. Use your intellect to discern between information. To read news that comes from 1 family owned corporation (various outlets, but still same owners) and then take it as facts is just dangerous, irresponsible and frankly, stupid.

Why don't you for a week try the different news sources TOGETHER with the ones you've been using traditionally and try to make a good conclusion of what is really going on. I'm not pro anything but I can testify that, for example, the aforementioned news sources I gave you has greatly broadened my understanding of world political matters. But whatever, read only one side of the story if it makes you feel better...
I'm on vacation and using an ipad. I'm not going to waste more time on this now. Good luck.

Swedish media is in my opinion so corrupt. Only a fool would take worldly geo political news from them. One and the same family own all the major news papers + several tv channels. /…

Ok, so I missed to address the statement Larken made about Swedish Media and the Bonnier family owning “several tv channels”. The Bonnier family does not own anything of Swedish Public Service media:

If anyone’s interested, here’s some info about Swedish Public Service TV:

…/

Corporate Structure
The corporate structure is a limited company owned by a foundation. It is financed by a compulsory licence fee for possession of a TV-set. The licence fee also finances public service radio (SR) and the Swedish Educational Broadcasting company (UR). 60 % of the revenues from licence fee provides for SVT. In 2014 the fee is 2.076 SKR (approx. 220 Euro) a year.

Rules and regulations
SVT programming is subject to the provisions of the Radio Act, to terms set out in the charter between SVT and the state as well as internal programming guidelines. The charter guarantees SVT´s independency of all pressure groups, political, commercial or otherwise.
One of the most important points is "to scrutinize authorities, organizations and private firms which exert influence over policy affecting the public, and cover the activities of these and other bodies".

Programming
SVT programming is non commercial. Advertising is not allowed but sponsoring of sports events is. The programming covers the whole genre spectre. In 2013 SVT1 is the biggest channel and also receives the highest ranking by the Swedish audience.

Audience relations
SVT is together with the public service radio (SR) the most trusted Swedish media and enjoys a very good support from the Swedish TV audience.

/…

Source:

The Swedish public service broadcaster | SVT.se
And here is some info about Swedish Public Service Radio:

Swedish Radio: Radio for everyone

/…/

Sveriges Radio is a non-commercial, independent public service radio broadcaster. Its mission is to provide high-quality programmes for the Swedish population. Swedish Radio’s primary aim is to provide enriching programmes for all Swedes, wherever they live and regardless of their age, gender, and cultural background. Swedish Radio’s comprehensive range of programming should offer something valuable and indispensable for everyone.

Forum for free speech
Swedish Radio provides programmes which are impartial, accurate and a forum for free speech. Overall programming aims to appeal to a broad audience but also to satisfy niche interests. Each and every programme aims to be characterized by our belief in the equal worth of all human beings and the freedom and dignity of the individual. This is the basis of public service broadcasting.

/…

Source:

About Swedish Radio | Sveriges Radio

My last edit:

The Bonnier family owns one TV channel with a news program: TV4.

Just like their newspapers, the news program on that channel is considered to be liberal (and for the definition of liberal in a Swedish context, see post #76 above)

If interested, you can read more here:

The TV Channels | TV4-Gruppen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV4_(Sweden)

- - - Updated - - -

Lol at above statement.... Since when is the value of information subject to which form of goverment it is under? The Truth is the Truth. Period. Now, I am not claiming any news site to be reporting only truth and never propaganda, but my point is, broaden yourself. Use your intellect to discern between information. To read news that comes from 1 family owned corporation (various outlets, but still same owners) and then take it as facts is just dangerous, irresponsible and frankly, stupid.

Why don't you for a week try the different news sources TOGETHER with the ones you've been using traditionally and try to make a good conclusion of what is really going on. I'm not pro anything but I can testify that, for example, the aforementioned news sources I gave you has greatly broadened my understanding of world political matters. But whatever, read only one side of the story if it makes you feel better...
I'm on vacation and using an ipad. I'm not going to waste more time on this now. Good luck.
200+ journalists in Russia have been murdered since 1993!

List of journalists killed in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that list is incomplete…

Do you know how many journalists were murdered in Sweden or the U.S., or any other western democracy during the same time?

I’m not even going to address the implications of absolute zero freedom of press in Iran.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but as a general comment, I think it's worth reading sources coming from all over the world, at least occasionally, not necessarily to figure out what the facts on the ground are, but to see what "the other side" is being exposed to in their media. I think there is value in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.