Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar O2 (concept)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Polestar's doing the concept car press release thing right now, so there's nothing real here, but I'm guessing it's the usual "if we get enough interest, we'll greenlight the thing". Looks like the idea is a roadster/sports car on top of the Polestar 5 platform?

I'm confused by that, because the Polestar5 is trying to be a Model-S sized vehicle: full size sedan. The O2 render shown today looks much smaller. Sure, the "platform" could be refering to mostly battery/EV bits, but usually it also refers to hardpoints/frame/etc.

(The rest of the details smell like concept car fluff to me: the drone certainly wouldn't make production. The "everything's polystyrene" doesn't seem realistic... etc.)

Link: Polestar O₂ electric roadster concept | Polestar
Along with your usual breathless coverage everywhere. :)

Assume at LEAST $100+. Maybe 150, maybe 200? Based off the Polestar 5, which is already aimed at the high end near Lucid/Taycan/etc, which are all $150+ ish. And a convertible with a more niche target audience.

But also: concept car, not claiming they'll actually make it. It exists just to get people talking, not as a real preview. It's traditional in certain places to introduce concept cars with purely mythological specs (1000 MILE RANGE!!1!), because the point is to try and understand what people want/woudl value/are interested in, not actually sell a specific figure product.

Biggest plus is the fully retractable hard top roof. I miss the targa top from some of the old cars like the MKIV Supra. While everyone likes to rant and rave over the full glass roof on modern electric cars, I've come to realize after 3 years of driving my 3 that I get no real benefit from it since I never have back seat passengers. The added light doesn't make up for the additional heat that soaks in on a hot day.

Biggest plus is the fully retractable hard top roof. I miss the targa top from some of the old cars like the MKIV Supra. While everyone likes to rant and rave over the full glass roof on modern electric cars, I've come to realize after 3 years of driving my 3 that I get no real benefit from it since I never have back seat passengers. The added light doesn't make up for the additional heat that soaks in on a hot day.
@scubastevo80 The whole front opens on the original Model S glass roof. They did have leakage issues early on, but ours has been reliable for many years now after early roof replacement + smaller adjustments/fixes. I've never been much of a convertible / roof open person, but my wife really loves opening the roof all the time, she doesn't want to give that up.

Honestly I would rather have a solid roof in general. But on the Model S the solid roof had *less* headroom, and only the glass roof came with roof rack mounting points. Both of those were dealbreakers for the solid roof for me.

I totally agree the glass roof is terrible for energy efficiency, especially at high speeds on a chilly night, the car loses heat ridiculously easily. At least new cars with heat pumps can compensate better.

And they've greenlit it as the polestar 6, targeting 2026.

Targeting $200,000, ~300 mile EPA range. 0-100kph of ~3.2s. AWD.

They mention an 800V architecture, but don't give any charging times that would be the only real point of one...so no idea how it will charge

"and a distinctive, animal welfare-secured leather interior.". What? Animal welfare-secured? I assume vinyl like everyone else's "I can't believe it's not leather"?
@kilpatds Agreed, so much. The Model 3 vinyl is quite good as vinyl goes...but I'd rather have nice fabric instead of vinyl that's pretending to be leather, which just makes me wish I had real leather instead.

Polestar actually got this right for the Polestar 2, I guess the P6 will be a step backwards. The P2 base material is cloth I believe, the uprated "vegan" interior is an interesting material that's not traditional cloth, but also not trying to be leather. And they offer real, true, skinned-from-a-cow leather as a separate option. (The P2 real leather option seems overpriced to me but I haven't seen it firsthand, if it's really nice leather then the price is fine.)