Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged with charging stopped, would it use the grid to precondition or battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
Depends. If you don’t use any scheduled departure, or schedule charging, then it uses grid. If you do use them, then battery, even if plugged in. I really wish they had an option. It’s probably like that because of CA ToU rate plans. The programmers don’t know a world exists outside CA.
Depends. If you don’t use any scheduled departure, or schedule charging, then it uses grid. If you do use them, then battery, even if plugged in. I really wish they had an option. It’s probably like that because of CA ToU rate plans. The programmers don’t know a world exists outside CA.
Thx.

In the same condition, if on extended leave, would it automatically start charging at below 20%?

Upvote 0
Thx.

In the same condition, if on extended leave, would it automatically start charging at below 20%?
When I used schedules of any kind, it does not automatically start charging outside the window. The app will notify about cabin overheat disabled when hitting 20, but will not use the grid at all or charge until the schedule.

Reactions: Joey1991
Upvote 0
I don't know for sure about the X, I assume it would be the same for the Y, but here's what I have observed in my 2023 MYLR. All of the below assumes NOT using Teslas scheduled departure feature, as In find that "feature" beyond not useful for what I need.

Once the SOC is within about +/- 2% of the charge target, the charge stops, even with the car plugged in, the J1772 EVSE offering power, and the API "charger" setting in the on position. If you then activate climate control (via the Tesla app or API) to preheat or cool the cabin , the car first pulls from battery until it's 2-3% below the charge limit slider, then switches to actually pulling grid power.

In my HomeAssistant automations, I have added logic to push the charge limit +3% higher than I need right before starting climate control, to ensure the car will start pulling grid power during the climate conditioning process.

Upvote 0
When I used schedules of any kind, it does not automatically start charging outside the window. The app will notify about cabin overheat disabled when hitting 20, but will not use the grid at all or charge until the schedule.
Thanks again.
What would you suggest to do, when I am away for two months without internet connection and no access to the car? Plug it and leave it charging limited to 80%? Once it's full, it will stop, but when the charge goes down, would it start back to charge and at what percentage wouldit start?

Upvote 0
Thanks again.
What would you suggest to do, when I am away for two months without internet connection and no access to the car? Plug it and leave it charging limited to 80%? Once it's full, it will stop, but when the charge goes down, would it start back to charge and at what percentage wouldit start?
The car will start to charge when the SoC drops roughly 5% from whatever you set the charge limit to. If you have a charging schedule set, it is only supposed to charge during off-peak rates. But you will have to have set all the rate, time periods and costs.

Upvote 0
The car will start to charge when the SoC drops roughly 5% from whatever you set the charge limit to.
I think Tesla changes this behavior all of the time. Last time I tried it would top the pack up about every two hours, less than a percent drop. (When Sentry mode was active.)

If you have a charging schedule set, it is only supposed to charge during off-peak rates. But you will have to have set all the rate, time periods and costs.
Really? Where do you set rates, time periods, and costs that impacts when your vehicle charges? I didn't think Tesla supported that at all. (I certainly haven't found it.)

In the app, you can set the schedule/rates so that it can report how much charging cost you, but it has no impact to when the charging happens.

Upvote 0
Really? Where do you set rates, time periods, and costs that impacts when your vehicle charges? I didn't think Tesla supported that at all. (I certainly haven't found it.)

In the app, you can set the schedule/rates so that it can report how much charging cost you, but it has no impact to when the charging happens.
Yes, they've had that for a few years. People can choose either a charging start time or charging end time. The thing that drives people crazy is just how confusing and badly named the options are in the interface. Charge start is clearly labeled of exactly what it does, but setting charge end time is using that messed up confusing naming about "Off peak".

Upvote 0
Yes, they've had that for a few years. People can choose either a charging start time or charging end time.
That isn't what I asked about. The person said you could set Rate, schedules and costs, and that the Tesla would only charge during off-peak times. (Even using the scheduled start time option it will happily charge into a peak rate time period if the charge takes long enough, but it wouldn't really know as you can't set a schedule or rates.)

As far as I can tell that functionality does not exist.

Upvote 0
That isn't what I asked about.
Oh, gotcha. What you said did say this part:
Really? Where do you set rates, time periods, and costs that impacts when your vehicle charges?
The costs aren't figured in, but time periods, yes. It sounded like you didn't know you could set times that impact when it charges.

Upvote 0
That isn't what I asked about. The person said you could set Rate, schedules and costs, and that the Tesla would only charge during off-peak times. (Even using the scheduled start time option it will happily charge into a peak rate time period if the charge takes long enough, but it wouldn't really know as you can't set a schedule or rates.)

As far as I can tell that functionality does not exist.
Actually it does, but in two different places

The first only appears when you select schedule based on departure time. This asks you when the off-peak period ends. It calculates how long it takes to charge and backs up from your requested departure time, or when the off-peak period ends. If you select a time to start charging, it starts at that time, regardless. This is configurable in the car, or in the app.

The time periods and rates are part of Charging Stats, in the Tesla app on your phone. It will ask you your utility name and the rate plan you are on. If your utility rates are on line, it will fill in all the fields for you, and allow you to adjust if necessary. This shows you actual charge data and provides reasonably close estimates of your costs. Supercharger rates the you actually pay, Home rates based upon your utility, and a wild guess if you charge anywhere else. It also tells you what a comparable ICE vehicle might cost. You can only set to the nearest penny. My Winter rate is 2.764¢ per kWh, my summer off-peak rate is 2.331¢ per kWh. But the closest I can set in the app is $0.02 or $0.03. So not really precise. Charge Stats is available in the app only (I think)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The car will start to charge when the SoC drops roughly 5% from whatever you set the charge limit to. If you have a charging schedule set, it is only supposed to charge during off-peak rates. But you will have to have set all the rate, time periods and costs.
Thank you so much for your help and attention.
What is better for the battery long life:
1. Recharging more often or less?
2. Recharging as soon as you are at 60-70% or wait to drain till 30-40%?
Respectfully.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your help and attention.
What is better for the battery long life:
1. Recharging more often or less?
2. Recharging as soon as you are at 60-70% or wait to drain till 30-40%?
Respectfully.
It doesn't really matter. The biggest factor is the rate you pay. Many folks have reduced rates at night, so best to charge at night. which you can force, if you set a scheduled departure time.

Upvote 0