Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug and 100Amp line sticker shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heavy cables are where residential 3 phase power rules. To distribute 22kW you need 5 wires capable of 32A, that's 6mm² or AWG ~9.
I have no idea what that means or what to do with it.
and you guys are probably right...but I'm just itching for that HPC as my 'main' charger and to keep the UMC as my backup/keep in car. I'm not saying it's logical, smart or necessary...but neither is the leather interior, Tech package or the upgraded stereo!

I will second smorgasbord's recommendation for your garage wiring. Unless you move to Europe to take advantage of more cost effective 3-phase power. :biggrin:

I would buy a second UMC to keep plugged in the garage outlet. That way you can keep the other in the car. If you ever have a problem with one UMC, you always have the second one as backup while getting the other repaired or replaced. If you would rather use the better looking HPC in your garage, then just wire it to your 14-50 outlet and program it for 40A.

GSP

On Roadster roadtrips, I've used my UMC heavily. There's always an RV park around with 40amp service. (Plus I carry my J1772 adapter.) I'd get the UMC.

I'll get one UMC either way...is there a good reason to use a $1500 UMC semi-permanantly installed in the garage instead of the $1200 HPC? (assuming the prices are consistant with Roadster prices in the shop right now).

I am hoping buying a second Model S UMC will be cheaper than buying the roadster version. The HPC is cheaper for the Model S, so logic would indicate that it is likely that the UMC will be as well.

If a spare model S UMC is <$1000, I will likely buy one to keep in the car, and keep the one the car came with plugged into the wall at all times. Otherwise I will probably buy a HPC for the garage. On the other hand, if I end up going with a 60 kWh instead of a 40, I would feel much more confident about not needing to charge on the road, and would probably not but a second EVSE at all, and simply leave the UMC in the garage unless I am road tripping or otherwise know that I will need it.

I'll get one UMC either way...is there a good reason to use a $1500 UMC semi-permanantly installed in the garage instead of the $1200 HPC? (assuming the prices are consistant with Roadster prices in the shop right now).

I use one UMC between the need to charge at home and on roadtrips. I just unplug it and put it in the car when I'm going to be out in the wild. I don't bother when I'm going to destinations with known charging infrastructure, so it's probably only a couple of times a year that I unplug it and throw it in the car. So if I were you, I'd get just the UMC, install a NEMA 14-50 plug at home, and make it do double-duty.

I use one UMC between the need to charge at home and on roadtrips. I just unplug it and put it in the car when I'm going to be out in the wild. I don't bother when I'm going to destinations with known charging infrastructure, so it's probably only a couple of times a year that I unplug it and throw it in the car. So if I were you, I'd get just the UMC, install a NEMA 14-50 plug at home, and make it do double-duty.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not going to risk forgetting to put it in the car if I take off on a longer trip, or unexpectedly find myself taking a longer trip and wanting or needing to charge. Call me a Boy Scout if you will, but I want one that stays in the car 24/7. I expect to do enough longer trips and know how often I've forgotten things as important as underwhere and wallet that I'm not gonna risk being 160 miles from home with 50 miles of range and no UMC to remedy the situation

Now there's an idea! The HPC is cheaper than the UMC anyway and would look nicer and do the same job. now I have MORE ideas to sleep on!!

Do we know the price of the new UMC? The old Roadster prices for HPC and UMC were $2,000 and $1,500 if I remember correctly. The new HPC is $1,200 so hopefully the new UMC is cheaper.

I do like Bonnie does: I have the UMC (240 v 40 a) and it lives in the garage. If I ever decide to do a road trip, I can take it along. At first I kept the 120 v EVSE in the car, the one that comes free with the Roadster, for emergencies. But I soon realized that was silly, and it takes up too much space in the tiny trunk. If I ever miscalculate I can call for a tow. That would be extremely expensive, but even more unlikely, as I'm careful.

But your situation is very different than mine and calls for different solutions.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Note that two cars can be charged from one outlet if you have the flexibility to switch them around. If I ever get the electric Porsche back, it will charge from the same NEMA 14-50 as the Roadster. It will be a minor nuisance, but less so than having another 50-amp service installed.

Instal in the center

Note that two cars can be charged from one outlet if you have the flexibility to switch them around. If I ever get the electric Porsche back, it will charge from the same NEMA 14-50 as the Roadster. It will be a minor nuisance, but less so than having another 50-amp service installed.

I installed my 14-50 plug in the center of the garage - on top of the "ties" at both of my garages. This allows me to easily charge the car no matter which side of the garage I park or if I pull-in or back-in.

I installed my 14-50 plug in the center of the garage - on top of the "ties" at both of my garages. This allows me to easily charge the car no matter which side of the garage I park or if I pull-in or back-in.

Ditto. Mine is installed on the center post between the garage doors. I can park my Roadster on either side, backed in or pulled in straight.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not going to risk forgetting to put it in the car if I take off on a longer trip, or unexpectedly find myself taking a longer trip and wanting or needing to charge. Call me a Boy Scout if you will, but I want one that stays in the car 24/7. I expect to do enough longer trips and know how often I've forgotten things as important as underwhere and wallet that I'm not gonna risk being 160 miles from home with 50 miles of range and no UMC to remedy the situation

Evan,

with the J-1772 adapter that's going to come wth every Model S, you would never really be stranded, you could probably find a "ChargePoint" J-1772 EVSE in most major cities you road trip to, would be my guess. With that small adapter cable, you have access to lots of public J-1772 EVSEs (most are 30A capable, only 10A less than the UMC w/the 14-50, so just %25 slower overall). You can leave the 50A portble EVSE at home, and still be not worry too much about being stranded. Just a thought. Checkout the areas you travel to, see if there are any public J-1772 EVSEs.

Find Stations - ChargePoint Network

Evan,

with the J-1772 adapter that's going to come wth every Model S, you would never really be stranded, you could probably find a "ChargePoint" J-1772 EVSE in most major cities you road trip to, would be my guess. With that small adapter cable, you have access to lots of public J-1772 EVSEs (most are 30A capable, only 10A less than the UMC w/the 14-50, so just %25 slower overall). You can leave the 50A portble EVSE at home, and still be not worry too much about being stranded. Just a thought. Checkout the areas you travel to, see if there are any public J-1772 EVSEs.

Find Stations - ChargePoint Network

When you travel, you still want to take your UMC with you as there are many, many more campgrounds with 50A outlets than there are J1772 chargers between cities. You're right that there are now J1772 chargers in many cities but usually none between big cities.

A lot depends on where you are. In CA, J1772s are all over the place, including in small towns such as Castroville (pop 3100).
Good point. I guess I should say for Texas at least, there isn't a single J1772 charger in the 200 mile stretch from Houston to San Antonio and Austin to Dallas. I guess it's important to look ahead and plan your trip to see what chargers are available. I'd still bring the UMC with me on longer trips since that opens up almost all the RV parks with faster 40A charging.