Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing USB Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope someone knows the tricks
Songs & Albums Tabs: shows what I expect.
Artists: shows albums from artist (which doesn't make sense)
How to make it show all songs from artist (not albums as what is does)
Does the Filename, Metadata (tags), Folder layout, need something specific, I've tried all kinds of things without any success
My goal is to get the Artists tab to show all songs.
Why? so I can random play all songs from that artist.
(its driving me crazy)
Btw Just got in March 2024 M-Y LR Ultra Red (Awesome)
Early Thanks

Reactions: HelloJP
I am also new to MYLR. I have a USB connected and it works but sure doesn't seem to more than rudimentary player with some categories. I guess it needs a "front end" that provides the convenience that modern music players provide. Since I am new to my MYLR is hesitate to be too critical of this feature until I really get the opportunity to work with it. I am still learning about the car in general so this takes a back seat.

Upvote 0
I am also new to MYLR. I have a USB connected and it works but sure doesn't seem to more than rudimentary player with some categories. I guess it needs a "front end" that provides the convenience that modern music players provide. Since I am new to my MYLR is hesitate to be too critical of this feature until I really get the opportunity to work with it. I am still learning about the car in general so this takes a back seat.
It is exactly that, rudimentary… if you’re being nice.

In order for me to get a “playlist” to work, I have to make its own folder of songs. Which is utterly stupid. I’m not particularly pro/anti Apple, but the one thing I do like is iTunes. And for car systems that support it (the OEM system in my previous HR-V or aftermarket Kenwoods I’ve used), it works very well.

At this point, I’d practically settle for supporting the basic MP3 playlist file. Though, it would be nice if they incorporated other basic features as mentioned by the OP (making actual use of the meta tags).

Upvote 0
Does the Filename, Metadata (tags), Folder layout, need something specific, I've tried all kinds of things without any success
(its driving me crazy)
Early Thanks
I still use the Winamp music player to update the metadata for File name, artist, etc.

Reactions: Dopey44
Upvote 0
I don't think folder structure matters to the Tesla media player. It appears to recursively scan through the folders and then keep track of the files internally. You can see this visually when you load a large number of tracks as it's crawling the drive for new files.

I have no idea on how many folders, folder depth or files it supports however.

As others have said, metadata does matter and it'll use that to organize the music in the player.

Upvote 0
(its driving me crazy)
Early Thanks
Tesla deliberately has the worst and the most useless media player onboard. Cos! They dont want you to use it! They want you paying every month or yearly for the streaming service! That said, the easiest way to play your own music is to have all your music synced to iPhone and play it through Apple Music library. You have to use the Bluetooth connection which is pretty solid in Tesla and the music quality for your ride is fine as most Telas have a decent audio system. I hate to say this but the Music player in Tesla is "Garbage and a disgrace"

Upvote 0
Tesla deliberately has the worst and the most useless media player onboard. Cos! They dont want you to use it! They want you paying every month or yearly for the streaming service!
I don't think that is the reason but I with you on how frustrating it is to use. I'm guessing they have the data showing most people don't use it, like the front passenger lumbar, and so it has become a very low priority feature to work on and improve.

And for the people that do use it, we probably have large music collections, prefer uncompressed audio (FLAC) and therefore have a lot of experience using various media players, both software and hardware, over the years...which in turn...make us the harshest critics. :D

Upvote 0
Winammmmp! It really whips the llama's asssss!

^ This has been my lock confirmation sound for the past month :)
I used to use Winamp a lot back in the days. It had a good system for editing metadata. As good as the iTunes is, the way it manages the metadata is a bit puzzling and not always compatible with other players. That said, Apple says they don't have to play nice with little fellas anyway. I started using mp3tag a totally free program that is ad free and has been a great tool to edit Metadata and get the album artwork working right. I pull all my songs from iTunes, process the metadata on mp3tag and remove all the unnecessary bits, keep the basics like the artist, album, artwork, playlists etc. Makes it look nice and I can throw 25000 songs in a single folder and any decent player will sort it based on the metadata. I can also create playlists as well.

Upvote 0
To call the USB player in the Tesla "Rudimentary" is like calling Arsenic "not tasty".

1. It can't do continously playback between songs. It must insert a space between each song, even when none exists in the original recording. The USB players I used in 1995 could do this.

2. The input gain is almost cut in half from the streaming gain. I imagine it's to protect the speakers. But it sucks.

3. It doesn't automatically repeat the album when finished. I know you can set it to do so, but that setting disappears as soon as you leave the car. Must be set each time.

4. Right now, the USB player doesn't even recognize that there's a player plugged in if you let the car go to sleep. Only charging, or doing a two button reset, gets the USB recognized sgain. Worse, Tesla is aware the issue was caused by a software update (don't get me started on THOSE), but has no plans to "work on it at the present time". Direct quote from them.

5. If they tried REAL hard, they might be able to make the album art even smaller and unreadable (I know this isn't just for USB, but I can't stand it anyway, so i will rant). God forbid, however, we make the graphic of a car driving in its lane any smaller.

6. The USB player cannot play hi-res FLAC files. That's all I have. They're all played at 44Khz/16 bit. Again, right out of the nineties.

that about cover it? It's the worst USB interface I've purchased in a new car in at least two decades. Easily.

Reactions: arvindm
Upvote 0
sorta pointless to debate matters of opinion on the internet, but i kinda laugh at the suggestion its the worst usb audio player in 2 decades.

what are 1, 2, or 3 examples that are better?

that it has to re-read the drives between sleep is annoying. agreed on that. the other stuff, lol, yeah its so frustrating that after 1hr of playback through an audio album it doesnt repeat it? or that it cant play a format very very few people actually have because you need high-res uncompressed audio when driving in the car with 70dB of road noise…

Upvote 0
sorta pointless to debate matters of opinion on the internet, but i kinda laugh at the suggestion its the worst usb audio player in 2 decades.

what are 1, 2, or 3 examples that are better?

that it has to re-read the drives between sleep is annoying. agreed on that. the other stuff, lol, yeah its so frustrating that after 1hr of playback through an audio album it doesnt repeat it? or that it cant play a format very very few people actually have because you need high-res uncompressed audio when driving in the car with 70dB of road noise…
Its a barebones media player. An embarrassment for a company that prides itself in automation, electronics blah! blah! blah! Look at the media player! Stupid! Look at the wipers! Stupid! Look at the no dash display! Stupid! Glass roof? Mighty stupid! No media on 4 dumb USB ports in the center console? Retarded. I can go on and on but Tesla fan boys will not be happy. I loved the Model S and I hate the Model Y. Well! Its half the price, so I cant expect too much out of it. It could have been so much better for a few pennies more.

Upvote 0
Its a barebones media player. An embarrassment for a company that prides itself in automation, electronics blah! blah! blah! Look at the media player! Stupid! Look at the wipers! Stupid! Look at the no dash display! Stupid! Glass roof? Mighty stupid! No media on 4 dumb USB ports in the center console? Retarded. I can go on and on but Tesla fan boys will not be happy. I loved the Model S and I hate the Model Y. Well! Its half the price, so I cant expect too much out of it. It could have been so much better for a few pennies more.
can we keep all the non sequitur and red herring out of it and stay within the original premise: that the tesla usb audio player is the worst you've ever tried.

so what audio players are better?
what other cars source audio from 4+ different usb ports?
what bones exactly did you require from a media player that is not here?

for me, because im driving a car, i need a fast and efficient way to browse through and access specific tracks. the voice and text search works perfectly. the large display allows large listing of the files (probably 20 lines at a time??). the touch responsiveness alone makes it better than anything else out there, and system ive used can skip to a specific track using genre/album/artist id3 tags or across file structure faster than it.

if you dont think its perfect because... the album art is too small. okay. but overall what systems are better that makes this one the worst?

Upvote 0
can we keep all the non sequitur and red herring out of it and stay within the original premise: that the tesla usb audio player is the worst you've ever tried.

for me, because im driving a car, i need a fast and efficient way to browse through and access specific tracks. the voice and text search works perfectly. the large display allows large listing of the files (probably 20 lines at a time??). the touch responsiveness alone makes it better than anything else out there, and system ive used can skip to a specific track using genre/album/artist id3 tags or across file structure faster than it.

if you dont think its perfect because... the album art is too small. okay. but overall what systems are better that makes this one the worst?
Fyi! My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a much better media player! The Tesla media player does not even come close! A computer on wheels? Really? Get the simple things right! Don't get me wrong! Its still the best EV by a long shot but it could have been so much better! These little shortcomings irritate the heck out of me!

Upvote 0
The USB resume on entry was broken for a long time, before Sentry mode existed. I think it broke around version 7 or 8 software (I've had quite a few Teslas over the years, since 2013). Most are unaware it used to work great back in the day! This only relates to USB music and the car is powered down, while streaming has always worked fine and resumes properly when getting into the car.

Upvote 0
The USB resume on entry was broken for a long time, before Sentry mode existed. I think it broke around version 7 or 8 software (I've had quite a few Teslas over the years, since 2013). Most are unaware it used to work great back in the day! This only relates to USB music and the car is powered down, while streaming has always worked fine and resumes properly when getting into the car.
All this is correct (I also have had Teslas since 2013)

Also the usb can play a 24/192 FLAC perfectly, it is not limited as was stated above.

Upvote 0

My (now departed BMW 228i with Harman Kardon system) didn't sound as good BUT was far more convenient to use. Selection of items was about the same as in the Tesla but it "remembered" the location of a track even after the car was off for days. The layout of the menu's (both the BMW and a few Acuras I have owned) was far superior. I was hoping that Tesla's app would be more like the apps/front-ends you find on quality home audio systems.

The app needs work and polishing to deserve the name of a Tesla app. Perhaps they will take time to "fix" it but I think it is a low priority for them.

Upvote 0
(its driving me crazy)
Early Thanks

Upvote 0